younggotti

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey all,

What impact, if any, would editing/publishing medscape articles have on the admission process? I might come out as a 2nd author for a few articles on some diseases, and am curious if these would compare to academic publications at all in this process. Please let me know!

OP
younggotti

younggotti

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
bump!

About the Ads

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It's scientific writing.
The ability to write is valuable.
It is nothing like hypothesis-driven research, though.

Reactions: Dox4lyfe

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It's an interesting experience to have and it's something that'll probably come up during your interviews but you shouldn't try to pawn it off as an academic publication. Order of authorship doesn't matter much outside of academic publications so saying you're "second author" might come off as a bit much.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Would the same be said of field research in the Galapagos? I had to come up with my own hypothesis, write down my research methods before heading to the islands, then did my own research (dragging around pipettes :( ) and finalized my paper... not published though.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Would the same be said of field research in the Galapagos? I had to come up with my own hypothesis, write down my research methods before heading to the islands, then did my own research (dragging around pipettes :( ) and finalized my paper... not published though.
Research experience is valuable (though overrated by premeds except at the top research schools), even without publication. Going to the Galapagos is super interesting, and you have experience driving your own research.

Reactions: Ad2b
About the Ads