Medschool w/spouse in grad school

Cameron

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting medical school next fall and my wife is considering a masters in statistics (or biostats). This idea is very recent and I would be 100% supportive of her decision just as she is of my decision to attend medical school. However, this has raised a number of new questions that we have not had to consider. Is anyone else in this situation? We're especially concerned about the financial burden. I imagine it could be easier if we're both immerse in school work than if one is home alone with nothing to do every night. I suppose I'm just looking to hear from people who are in this situation - what can we expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Cameron:
I will be starting medical school next fall and my wife is considering a masters in statistics (or biostats). This idea is very recent and I would be 100% supportive of her decision just as she is of my decision to attend medical school. However, this has raised a number of new questions that we have not had to consider. Is anyone else in this situation? We're especially concerned about the financial burden. I imagine it could be easier if we're both immerse in school work than if one is home alone with nothing to do every night. I suppose I'm just looking to hear from people who are in this situation - what can we expect?

Hi there,
I can only answer your question somewhat due to the fact I am now just beginning my pre-reqs for Medical School, I am not there yet. When my husband and I first got married, he was attending UC Davis and I was working. I then began to go to school and by both of us going we were just fine. We saw eachother more and things were good. MONEY, what can I say, things were tight, but we managed, my husband coached UC Davis Softball and I worked part-time. I believe things will work out if you give it your all and really communicate with eachother. I have many friends who were married and both were in school, and it all worked out. I saw where you are from and wondered what school you will be attending? Is it in Utah, or some where different. I have a few friends that went to BYU and have a family member that is there now. Just being curious. Hope all goes well with you. Keep checking this site, you will have some great advice.

In my eyes I have to take it day by day!!
Good Luck Cshelz

[This message has been edited by cshelz (edited 12-02-2000).]

As I have been completing my med school apps, my husband has been applying to law school. At first I think he was very nervous about the financial aspects of both of us attending school, but there is no way I could go to med school without loans so we are going to have debt regardless. We will both be in a good position to pay the loans off after our training so we have decided to discount that impediment. I am thrilled to think of us both going back to school together. Though there will be a lot of stresses, I think we will be better able to sympathize with each other. The bottom line is that both partners need to be happy and fulfilled in what they are doing. I would be very encouraging of your wife's graduate aspirations. It might be a great experience for your marriage and it will definitely help her accept your long hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband is completing his fellowship and I am currently in grad school (Molecular Genetics and Microbiology)...we have 3 children.

Here is what I will add. Throughout his training I have had times where I have returned to school....one of the reasons was financial...stafford loans are cheaper than credit card debt or many other loans.

If you guys don't have chidren yet it will probably be a good thing that she is in grad school...because you will need to be studying quite a bit and she will have something to do for herself. With children I can tell you that it is extremely difficult...my husband is always to tired to give me any study time and I find that I am studying in the wee morning hours......

Also...don't forget to send your spouses to http://www.medicalspouse.org The Medical Spouse Network.

Kris

cshelz -- Yes, I'm currently at BYU and my wife is finishing a dual degree in Psychology and Statistics. As for WHERE I'll be attending school next year I'm not sure. I have been accepted at a few schools but haven't heard from a couple of schools that I'm very interested in, so we'll see where we end up. I think my wife will apply to the schools where I've been accepted as well as a couple of those that I'm still waiting on.

alshepard -- I agree that it would be nice to go to school together and continue our education. I DO believe that it would make her very happy. In addition,as you said, she would probably be more understanding of my long hours if she were actively pursuing a degree as well.

kmmath -- No, we don't have children yet so there isn't that draw on our time (yet). She's always expressed an interest in getting a graduate degree of some sort and I think that it'll be easiest to do it now before we have children -- as you illustrated.

Thanks everyone for your comments! My wife and I appreciate it. If anyone else has anything to add/share please do!