MedSchools Read SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modanq

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was recently interviewing at UPitt and a subtle hint indicated to me that schools read this stuff. We were in the elevator and the tour guide asked if anyone had heard what happened in the elevator the previous year. We were all like, no, and she went on to explain the story of how some canidates got stuck in the elevator. Interesting story, aside. she pointed out that the story was available on SDN. So I asked about this so called SDN and she said that it was this website that you check interview questions, post your scores, blah, blah, the whole nine yards. I was like, OMG, these people read this junk, or at least they have some knowledge of it. Well at least the Pitt people do. So I just want to say right Now. LET ME IN I LOVE YOUR SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a simular (I guess they will now know that I can't spell) - experience with a dean.

Tour Guide = Current student = Former Pre-Med = "MedSchool?"

Interesting connection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, our tour guide was a Admissions Office Assistant. but still...

VPDcurt said:

Interesting connection.

Actually, our tour guide was an Admissions Office Assistant. but still...

VPDcurt said:

Interesting connection.

VPDcurt said:

Interesting connection.
I was there, too. The tour guide was an admissions official, not a med student.

Plus, I think it's pretty well known that other med schools do this, as well. Most of the time, I don't think it's about figuring out who applicants are, but rather gaining a general sense of how people feel about their school.

Not only do some med school staff read SDN, some also post here. I think it's great if they will answer questions for students, and I've even discussed SDN with admissions people at a few schools.

my interviewer today talked about how he didnt really like SDN interview testimonies that much because of the lack of accountability and review

Q-

I think it's obvious to match you up with your score. Considering that very few do that well on the mcat, you stand out like a sore thumb even on a forum such as this.
i suppose, attaching a mdprofile to a sdn is a bad idea.
ohh well.

QofQuimica said:
Not only do some med school staff read SDN, some also post here. I think it's great if they will answer questions for students, and I've even discussed SDN with admissions people at a few schools.

it would be nice if there was a new forum/sticky thread made specifically for medschools/adcoms to post, answer questions, discuss you the applicant, etc etc. but i'm sure they are all super busy and just read sdn for kicks. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt has a direct link to SDN on their website, which I found today.

UWashington also has adirect link to SDN. And GT adcom claims to read it too.

I guess it would be wise for me to watch what I say on here. I can get irritable and impatient sometimes :)

I guess it would be wise for me to watch what I say on here. I can get irritable and inpatient sometimes :)

SeattlePostBach said:

I guess it would be wise for me to watch what I say on here. I can get irritable and inpatient sometimes :)
i say the wrong things all the time, i hope it hasnt ruined me already. at umichigan during their presentation they made several remarks dealing with comments ive seen on sdn threads and interview feedback

So did the assoc. dean at UCSD.

(PS: they also said letters of intent are regarded as hogwash there)

moral of the story: play nice, somebody may be reading this :p

shoal said:
Q-

I think it's obvious to match you up with your score. Considering that very few do that well on the mcat, you stand out like a sore thumb even on a forum such as this.
i suppose, attaching a mdprofile to a sdn is a bad idea.
ohh well.

Yes, you are right on both counts; you shouldn't link your mdapps profile to your signature if you want to be anonymous. It doesn't bother me if the schools know who I am; I've even brought SDN up myself.

Big Brother is watching you...

Monette said:
Big Brother is watching you...
i refuse to be stifled by big brother, i will say whatever i want to on sdn

macintosh.jpg

i highly doubt the adcoms are perusing through sdn all day long trying to figure out what their interviewee's name is on here ;)

Joonie said:
it would be nice if there was a new forum/sticky thread made specifically for medschools/adcoms to post, answer questions, discuss you the applicant, etc etc. but i'm sure they are all super busy and just read sdn for kicks. :idea:

Yeah, each school should have a roster of applicants on different threads. It should run something like high school football tryouts. Your name is either on the "cut" thread or "accepted" thread. That would prevent all those snail mail embarrassments. (Now that I think about it, would probably result in a bunch of broken monitors too :laugh: )

jtank said:
i highly doubt the adcoms are perusing through sdn all day long trying to figure out what their interviewee's name is on here ;)

which is why i can do this:

dear mr./mrs. adcom,

flipping%20the%20bird.jpg

^*points at post above* oh ya, that's real mature :rolleyes:

Modanq said:
Hi guys, I was recently interviewing at UPitt and a subtle hint indicated to me that schools read this stuff. We were in the elevator and the tour guide asked if anyone had heard what happened in the elevator the previous year. We were all like, no, and she went on to explain the story of how some canidates got stuck in the elevator. Interesting story, aside. she pointed out that the story was available on SDN. So I asked about this so called SDN and she said that it was this website that you check interview questions, post your scores, blah, blah, the whole nine yards. I was like, OMG, these people read this junk, or at least they have some knowledge of it. Well at least the Pitt people do. So I just want to say right Now. LET ME IN I LOVE YOUR SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts.

My USF College of Medicine Admissions Director, posts on here under the name of REL. He's the best. Always out to help us and what not. Dr. Hinkley of UMiami School of Medicine-Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions also posted on here once, but normally goes through a liason who is a moderator on this board in the MCAT forum.

There've been a few threads over the summer on this topic about such matters. I actually like the fact that some of these adcom people are on here.

WhatUpDoc! said:
LOL... that'd be funny as hell if you got a rejection letter from one of your schools with that picture in the envelope... I'd probably frame that one :laugh:

if you wanted, i could also post it here on sdn

i wouldn't be surprised that they'd peruse the largest aggregate of medical school/residency information on the internet.

Modanq said:

What are your thoughts.

I wish they would just stay away. The internet is a poor judge of ppl. Kinda like the GOP, but thats another story.

Shredder- that was awesome! Do you just have a folder full of random pictures for you to upload at will? Anyways, nice work, again.

I seriously doubt much "decision making" is based on how you act on SDN. Unless you're a raving lunatic in your posts, you should be ok to excercise your freedom to voice your opinion. But then again, none of us really knows, do we? Maybe originality of SDN screenname and avatar are components of the decision-making process...

I have a green hedgehog! Pick me!

Modanq said:

What are your thoughts.

Your SDN join date shows april, 2005, yet you "asked about this so called SDN recently.