1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Medschools with low GPA requirements???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Edenbook85, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Edenbook85

2+ Year Member

does anyone know of any good medschools with low GPA requirements and high MCAT requirements. i have a 3.4 GPA and hope i can make it up with a high MCAT score. MD schools not DO please...

2. TypeA

TypeA Hola peeps.
    10+ Year Member

I kind of hope this is a joke, for your sake. "Low GPA" and "Medical School" really don't belong in the same sentence. If you are talking about "relatively low" then I would pick up a copy of the MSAR. It has everything you could possibly want to know regarding allo schools.

At the risk of starting a flame war, why not DO?

Either way, 3.4 is not bad. Don't forget, SDN is not an accurate representation of the applying public at large.

Good Luck. :luck:

3. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    3.4 isn't bad, just do well on the MCAT (30+). The average matriculant GPA is 3.7 but that means some people are below and others are above.

Probably should avoid top schools which has high numbers since they expect high MCATs as well as good GPAs......WashU is known to like high stats so your GPA may not go in well there. Other than that, apply wide and apply to some reach schools and apply to your local instate schools.

4. AtreyuRocks

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    hey eden, you seem to be asking a lot of questions about applying to med school in general. thats great! but at the same time, TypeA is totally right, picking up a copy of the MSAR is your best bet, especially because i saw your question about the timing of the June MCAT. the MSAR has information about even preparing to apply and what not, and this way you can scroll through the info at your leisure and not have to worry about people feeding you crap and what not (not saying anyone is, but as TypeA mentioned 3.4 is not a bad GPA). also, do you have a pre-health advisor on campus? it seems you might want to go to them for assistance stringing your app together as a whole ie: LOR, how many schools to apply to etc.

EDIT: you can prob get this year's copy of the MSAR at your school or library. if you want to start researching schools now, otherwise wait til the 2008 MSAR comes out since it will be the most updated (that should be coming out soon check the AAMC website)