Meet with residency director at my home institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a MS3 interested in EM, and my home institution has a EM residency. What are people's opinions on talking with the residency director for advice? The clerkship director mentioned that the residency director was always approachable to speak with students, so it got me thinking.

I think I have the general idea of what to do from friends who have matched into EM, combined with a little common sense. I'm trying to do well in rotations, I'm doing research for 2+ years in EM, I have a solid step 1, I'll work hard to do well on step 2, I'll try my best during EM rotations to try to get strong SLORS.

Is there any benefit to getting to know the director before hand? Could it hurt me ? (aside from making a godawful impression). I know theres some attendings and residents who may have done the same as med students around here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's always about who you know. Build a relationship with him or her. I mean, don't go waste their time, but introducing yourself, asking if he or she has any advice and bringing a few questions is a great idea. Assuming they are as approachable as you say, most doctors love hearing that motivated, intelligent students are interested in their field.

You would be crazy NOT to do this! You are interested in EM, you have a home program, and your PD seems like a cool guy. Go meet him, let him know you're interested, and try to spend a little extra time in the ED whenever you can. This is networking! You might be able to lock down a spot at your home institution which can at the very least be a backup in the increasingly competitive field of EM!

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know why you wouldnt do this.

I go to a small DO school with no EM affiliated residency, and I did this for advice.

Yeah, ditto to what everyone else said. I met with our PD during the third year and picked his brain about programs, where to do aways and where to apply for residency.

Yes, absolutely meet with your home program's PD. They are the ones in the best position to give you advice and evaluate your competitiveness. And advising students is a part of their job, and a part they tend to enjoy.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Your advice convinced me to try to schedule something, and while at the gym I thought of some legit questions to ask, not the questions for the sake of asking questions kind of thing.

Thanks again

OP: not saying you shouldn't -- go for it! -- but posting this to see what current residents and attendings think.

I always heard that of course you should talk to the PD, but at the same time, I wonder if there is an appreciable risk in that enthusastically expressing interest in your home program can backfire because the PD may have heard the same old thing from students in the past who ultimately got ranked highly by the program but ended up matching elsewhere -- thus making the PD weary of people who tell the same sort of story.

Know of at least a couple people who heard that kind of thing from people in one program or another, including from APDs.

OP: not saying you shouldn't -- go for it! -- but posting this to see what current residents and attendings think.

I always heard that of course you should talk to the PD, but at the same time, I wonder if there is an appreciable risk in that enthusastically expressing interest in your home program can backfire because the PD may have heard the same old thing from students in the past who ultimately got ranked highly by the program but ended up matching elsewhere -- thus making the PD weary of people who tell the same sort of story.

Know of at least a couple people who heard that kind of thing from people in one program or another, including from APDs.

I am just starting residency this July but I don't think this will really affect ranking. There is no reason for a PD to rank someone lower just because they might not choose their program. PD don't rank you highly just because you showed interest. They rank you based on many of the same factors that others get ranked, SLORs being the #1 thing they look at if you check the yearly NRMP statistics. So basically knowing them might get you an interview or have your application looked at more closely, but it won't move you up from top 40 to top 10. A strong application and great EM personality that fits with their program and residents will.