Meeting a Mate When Your in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe we live in a world where there are just as many single males and there are single females and yet everybody is still single.. I guess the problem is that people are just picky. Lower your standards and you won't be single no more... see it aint really that hard. And if love is like a shadow.. then heck sounds like noon time is the best time to go look for love.

Members don't see this ad.

Austen,
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am actually starting at Mayo, not U of MN, for their MD PhD program. I am acutely aware of the reduced social prospects in Rochester, MN, any advice? Are you in MN now?
I have never lived outside of CA.

Anyone know places to hang out/meet people in the Twin Cities, MN area?

Originally posted by Research Freak:
Austen,
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am actually starting at Mayo, not U of MN, for their MD PhD program. I am acutely aware of the reduced social prospects in Rochester, MN, any advice? Are you in MN now?
I have never lived outside of CA.

Anyone know places to hang out/meet people in the Twin Cities, MN area?

Actually, after I posted, I thought you might be at Mayo, considering you have a lot of research (I'm surmising this from your name). Congratulations on going to such a great school! I would love to go there (small class sizes, etc.), but my stats are not nearly as competitive as the majority of the students. Nevertheless, I will more than excited (ecstatic, really!) to be accepted at the U of MN...I can only hope! Yes, I'm in Minnesota right now. I went to the U of MN for undergrad. You're right when you say Rochester is definitely limited - but you can always make day and weekend trips. Either up to Mpls/St. Paul or down further south. As for up here, there are a lot of cool bars. And, believe it or not, St. Paul has a lot more to offer than people think... our governor may not like the city much (I do agree with him, its confusing), but it has a lot going on. If you ever get a chance, check out the Uptown area in Mpls, and the Grand Ave. area in St. Paul. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

[This message has been edited by Austen (edited 05-02-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Largely because they exude confidence.

amen. men, this is the gods aweful truth. If you are shy, be confident. If you are foward, be confident. But you gotta do it before you leave home to go out.

I was in a relationship for a number of years; I felt very confident in all respects, especially toward the females.

Got hit on all the time.

Then disaster struck my relationship, it ended, my confidence ended, no more females attracted.

Been a few months now and I'm getting hit on again. Not because I look different, or act different, but because I am feeling happier with myself once again. The moment you love yourself, is the moment people want to be around you and love you too.

God, its the most important thing I've ever learned about "the game." It's all in your head (heart, i should say)

Austen-

Call me a typical ignorant west-coastcentric californian, but where is U of MN?? So do you mean that you have not gotten in yet and are waiting to hear, or just applying now? I feel so lucky to have gotten into Mayo- I keep thinking its some kind of fluke or joke and that they are going to call and yell "just kidding!!" at any second! I am going to be out house hunting in June- hook me up with some of those bars in minneapolis/ st. paul!
jen

Jen/Research Freak -

In response to your question...the U of MN is everywhere. There are the Mpls/St. Paul campuses (which are huge...massively huge) and then there are the smaller campuses located around the state - Morris, Crookston, Duluth. The Mpls. campus houses mostly the liberal arts and Institute of Technology, plus the med school, the law school, business school, etc. The St. Paul campus houses the vet school and the cell/bio type things. No, I haven't applied yet - I'm in the midst of doing that right now. I do hope to matriculate somewhere (I will go anywhere they take me) in 2001. I'm actually 26 and have been working full time for the past 2.5 years while I take the pre-req's, so I am more than ready to have this whole process over with. I don't think housing should be too difficult for you to find in Rochester - and I'm sure it will be more than reasonably priced. Its actually not such a bad place (though I have never lived there...only driven through), but one of my best friends grew up there...and she is basically normal and well-adjusted. As for the whole fluke thing - I'm sure if you survived the psych test via telephone and the interview process at Mayo, then you are MORE than qualified. Don't worry about it. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! If you have other questions you can always email me.

Hang in there guys. You will all meet someone. It happens when you last expect it. While 2 doctors in the family is a lot, most people I know want to marry doctors so they understand the career. I am going to med school that happens to be by a large undergrad school so that will help if can do that.

Good luck to all

Someone should start a med dating service :)

>Someone should start a med dating service :)

They have -- it's called the Nursing staff

I'm starting my ER residency in July and I have a serious girlfriend who is not in the medical profession. Luckily I met her before the long trail began. All the girls I meet lately want to be with an MD because they feel it is a meal ticket. I guess what my point is, if you are going to med school to get some action, see if you can find a life while you are at it!

Funny thing, I don't know any med students dating nurses. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like nurses because they're mean to newbie med students trying to find their way around a hospital on their very first rotation. They seem to hate doctors with a passion, and I'm afraid that I'm already cynical to the point that I really dislike nurses.

On a lighter note, all those med students who aren't dating other med students seem to be dating residents. More than a few of the girls I know are now dating their residents. Personally, I find the ambitious and hard working, go get em attitude of med students to be unattractive and I have this thing against dating people in the medical field. Of course, I totally have a thing for artists, but then again, who doesn't?
wink.gif

To those who are more desparate than there are words for: why not try the internet dating scene (I haven't tried it myself, but it worked [almost] for Jack in Dawson's Creek).

Matt- I don't know about Jack (I missed Dawson this week
frown.gif
) but the internet idea definitely didn't work that well for Ally (McBeal)

Dr. Sof...you said you'd seen a few relationships work and a lot fall apart...where is this not true? It surely is in my pre-med days. I think the difference may be the turnover difference between college and Med School. You work with the same people for 4 years, and only meet a smallish number of people at once each year. In college and high school (size dependent of course), you may see 600-700 new people of the opposite sex each semester. Add to the lack of selection in your field, the pressure to commit yourself to med school, and relationships can get pretty far down the priority list. I think this is really true regarding new relationships, where you want to spend a lot of time with your new mate to get to know them.

Dr. Sig
PM3

[This message has been edited by doctor_sig (edited 05-26-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thought that worked once for me (albeit in High School)...

Why not try to organize a crush outing with some of your friends? Get a few girlfriends together, find an off Broadway play with cheap tickets, a decent restaurant, and each of you grab a date. Make it someone you like talking to, pick a comedy to see (if nothing else, you can use a funny bit to initiate a conversation later) and afterwards find somewhere everyone can sit together and chat. Doesn't have to be in the city either...find a cool place to take a day hike or canoe. The only challenge is working up the courage to be the first in the group to ask for the date. If possible, find a group of single guys about the same size as your group of girls and pick one each...since it's your idea you get dibs, right?

Another thing that kind of amuses me is the fact that you say there's nothing new to do in NY/NJ. Now, I've never been there, but I reckon there's more to do there than there is here in backwoods Western Kentucky...we have fraternity parties and no bars at my University...it's in a dry county. There's gotta stuff to do where you're going to school.

Dr. Sig
PM3

I'm relatively new to this forum, and this list I guess, but it was really interesting to see that of all the subjects that are on the board, this one has one of the highest numbers of posted msgs.

Goes to show you... we all need a little lovin'. As for me, I'm starting med school next fall and having gone through a not so pleasant experience with a guy who started med school last year, I know for a fact, dating med students is hard.

But what's tougher is that when you are in med school I guess you mostly hang out with other med students. So here is me, hoping I don't get into a meaningless realtionship in my first year.
smile.gif

Has anybody tried using classified ads? With the internet, there are so many websites that offer this service (sometimes for free?). I don't know anybody who's tried this, or if they did, they sure didn't tell me that's how they met "her". Either case, its sounds like a good idea. You can specify what you want your mate to be like, age and stuff like that.
smile.gif

------------------

Maybe studentdoctor.com should have a section called 'Personals'.
wink.gif

Buttercup

As I'm from UK we are always a season or so behind you in TV. As I haven't seen that particular Ally McBeal, I'm assuming it's season three. Can't wait for it!!
biggrin.gif

PS the Jack thing happened about half way through the third season. He chickened out of a date with the internet guy 'cos he wasn't ready.

[This message has been edited by Matt the Medic (edited 06-01-2000).]

Matt- the temptation to tell you the entire plot of Ally's internet dating fiasco is overwhelming-- but I'd spoil it so I won't.

Let's just say it didn't work out as she'd planned
smile.gif

Hey, I have a Med Mate success story:

Two years ago I was post-call on the brutal renal rotation at the university hospital. Normally I'm shy but on 45 minutes of sleep in 30 hours I get a little bold and chatty. After work I went for a walk an ended up in a coffee shop. I met a wonderful teacher there. We started talking and didn't stop until I fell asleep at the table three hours later.

We are getting married in two weeks. I know that if I hadn't been in my sleep deprived altered state I would have never had the courage to go up to her.

So call can be good for your social life.

Find an attractive nurse who treats his/her patients right and you are set.

When they ask "How was your day?" they will understand what you are talking about.

Did you happen to see the date of the last post. These people have probably graduated med school already. :D

I'm surprised no one said anything about ALCOHOL, aka "liquid courage"! heh... maybe i missed it though...

Hehe.....I was wondering why I hadn't seen this thread before. Hope all the previous posters are happily in love and practicing medicine somewhere....

I