Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
okay... I went to meet the dean to ask questions about my personal statement and etc then she sat me down and asked me "So I'm assuming you did homework.. Tell me" what is this mean? what homework was I suppose to do?

Last edited:

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My best guess would be "homework" = some of your own searching on the programs you were applying to and the schools you were interested in and some indepth thinking about your own application/personal statement and how it applies to the field of dentistry and your own resume/application.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
going out on a limb here, but it's probably not a good idea to talk about a conversation you had with an admissions dean (whom you identified) on a public forum.

I'm not going to "quote" you..hopefully you at least change the name of the school lol.

Mazmel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2008
NJ
Status
Dental Student
i hope you used properly spoken english at your meeting lol

Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
why why why >V<

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
okay... I went to meet the dean to ask questions about my personal statement and etc then she sat me down and asked me "So I'm assuming you did homework.. Tell me" what is this mean? what homework was I suppose to do?
if you are talking to the dean of admissions you shouldn't be asking any questions that could be found on their website. you should have done your homework and have known anything/everything you can about the school and it's dental program. if you wanted to go above and beyond you could have googled some of the faculty to look up any articles in JADA that they may have written.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
You went to talk to the Dean of Admissions to ask about your personal statement? What he/she was trying to tell you is that giving advice on writing a ps is not in his/her job description.

solstice

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Dental Student
You went to talk to the Dean of Admissions to ask about your personal statement? What he/she was trying to tell you is that giving advice on writing a ps is not in his/her job description.
It is true that it is not in Dean's job description to go over personal statement, but it is something that they do. Many of dean of admins who visited the health organization of our school actually encouraged students to do so.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
It is true that it is not in Dean's job description to go over personal statement, but it is something that they do. Many of dean of admins who visited the health organization of our school actually encouraged students to do so.
Apparently the one in question didn't agree with your observation/experience.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Doc,
The fact that the Dean was willing to sit with him/her and spend time to look at his/her file or P.S. is an evidence to the contrary.
If you say so. The confusion/comments by the OP appears to suggest otherwise. Let's see if we can revive this dead horse so that we can continue to beat it to death.

Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Of course I did all the research including what dental research was going and what faculty is working on what and etc. I just went to show the dean to see if what I wrote for P.S. is what the dentistry was looking for and to see if I had a right reasons going into the dentistry field.

She just said that she wont be able to interview me since she has seen me and made a conversation for awhile. In fact, that will be unfair for other students applying from different states.

THINKOFMYFUTURE

Geriatric Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Of course I did all the research including what dental research was going and what faculty is working on what and etc. I just went to show the dean to see if what I wrote for P.S. is what the dentistry was looking for and to see if I had a right reasons going into the dentistry field.

She just said that she wont be able to interview me since she has seen me and made a conversation for awhile. In fact, that will be unfair for other students applying from different states.
Shoulda given the dean a check for a million bucks instead of a crummy p.s to read.