Meeting my English Prerequisites

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Jack555, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Jack555

5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I've got a question for anyone who can help.

I go to Cal Poly Pomona (a Cal State). I am in a 3 year program called IGE that fufills many of your humanities as well as one quarter of english (2 is required to graduate).

Here is how it works or read below
    http://www.ceis.csupomona.edu/departments/ige/reqs.html

The 2 standard english classes are English 104 and English 105. So my program makes me exempt from 104 but I still have to take 105.

Anyways my point is that my series is 3 quarters of writing intensive classes but UCSF says here

http://www.assist.org/web-assist/report.do?agreement=aa&reportPath=REPORT_2&reportScript=Rep2.pl&event=19&dir=2&sia=CPP&ria=UCSFP&ia=UCSFP&oia=CPP&aay=06-07&ay=06-07&dora=PHARM

that I have to take English 104 AND 105 as prerequisites and I can not petition other classes.

Will they not admit me because I didn't take English 104 even if I have my B.S.?

The head of my program said I would be fine but I'm hesitant. How strict are the prerequisites?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you want to check with UCSF you can, but I believe NO EXCEPTIONS includes BA/BS holders. The only thing you might double check is which GE's you aren't required to take if you hold a degree. Most schools I've seen only exempt the social science/humanities requirements (Psych, etc.), not English. I'd say you'll probably still have to take it, even though it's not needed for your degree.

4. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    i go to CPP as well...small world :)

5. Jack555

5+ Year Member

Cool, whats your major and why did you choose it? I'm biotech because the classes seem the most relevant (imo) to pharmacy.

Im a freshmen.

6. senzabee

senzabee Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    UCSF is a no "ifs, ands, or buts" type of school. Even with a degree, you aren't exempt from humanities and social science classes, and I'm pretty sure that stretches out to the other classes as well. You will probably have to take the 104 class to fulfill their prereq, but I would contact them first.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one because there have been cases of students who took AP chem or bio in high school and skipped out on the first quarter/semester of general chem or bio. And I believe they were pretty strict on the requirement...maybe someone who was in that situation could shed some light on what they ended up needing to do for UCSF.

7. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    take the missing class at a junior college if CPP doesn't articulate it with UCSF

i'm a bio major...i chose it because most of the classes required for the bio degree also fulfill the pharmacy school prerequisites.
    i'm a 3rd year...applying very very soon :scared:

8. PossiblyCrazy

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Trust me on this. Call one of their advisors to get your answer or you may constantly doubt youself as to whether you have all the correct pre-reqs according to their standards.