Meeting other professional students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateKiss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone found good ways to meet medical students in other classes than your own or non-medical professional students (ie law, business, etc) at your school? At my school, we spend most of our time with our own class, and we go out with our own class at night, so I'm really not meeting anyone outside my class. I assume this is similar elsewhere. I love my class, but I'd really like to make other friends to get away from the monotony sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone found good ways to meet medical students in other classes than your own or non-medical professional students (ie law, business, etc) at your school? At my school, we spend most of our time with our own class, and we go out with our own class at night, so I'm really not meeting anyone outside my class. I assume this is similar elsewhere. I love my class, but I'd really like to make other friends to get away from the monotony sometimes.

Many schools have a graduate student government where your med school reps will come across other disciplines reps, and certainly could use that connection to arrange a mixer. Some med students in their class likely have spouses or SO's in other professional schools who could introduce you. Alternatively just study in those other disciplines' libraries, student union, etc. and put yourself out there.

Join your school's AMA (American Medical Association) organization or the SNMA (Student National Medical Association). Both are student arms of nationally recognized professional medical associations and both sponsor plenty of interaction with other medical students and physicians in the area. The local chapters of the AMA work very closely with the medical students who are members of the AMA. AMA also sponsors events like the annual legislative week where you can go to Washington, DC and lobby on Capitol Hill with medical students and residents from across the country.

SNMA has regional meetings and national meetings with the National Medical Association. There are plenty of great events associated with this organization dedicated to good medical care for underserved populations.

Look up both of these organizations. :thumbup:

At my medical school, we fielded teams for intramural tennis, lacross, soccer, basketball and softball. These are great opportunities to meet students from other disciplines. The medical school teams rocked in soccer, tennis and basketball. We also attended mixers with our law students regularly too. Look for these around campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chocolatekiss, I think you are at my school. I understand exactly what you are saying. After the upcoming exam, I will reduce my hang out class with the class and increase my efforts on meeting non medical students. That being said, I couldn't have asked for a better classmates:thumbup:

Actually, no. The PA students where I am are intentionally and diabolically isolated from med students. Indeed, I was promised with my scholarship that there would be plenty pharmacy and nursing students to service my needs, but they seem to stay away from our building (or maybe just me). Doesn't matter anyway. Everybody's already married by 25 in my state.

Correction---"I couldn't have asked for better classmates"

We actually have a "med-mal mixer" with the law and nursing schools. Both of the other schools get excited about it every year, esp the law school. We all meet at an upscale bar in town and hang out for the night. We rent out the place. It'd be a really easy thing to set up and a great way to meet people.

We actually have a "med-mal mixer" with the law and nursing schools. Both of the other schools get excited about it every year, esp the law school. We all meet at an upscale bar in town and hang out for the night. We rent out the place. It'd be a really easy thing to set up and a great way to meet people.

really. the law students here don't want to mingle with us med students. i don't really mind, as I am dating an undergrad anyway. I like 'em young ;)

i went to one of those law/med mixers a while back. i wasn't all that impressed. it was mostly people just hanging out in their groups of friends and not mingling. or worse...guys there with girlfriends. why the hell would you go to a mixer if you're taken? i seriously will never understand that. it's so annoying when you've been chatting up some hottie for 20 minutes and then they finally decide to mention "oh and me and my girlfriend...":thumbdown:

Indeed, I was promised with my scholarship that there would be plenty pharmacy and nursing students to service my needs

WTF? They advertised sexual access to females in recruiting?