Meeting while on WL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does meeting with a member of the admissions committee while you are on the waitlist look like you are conceding defeat? I am considering setting up a meeting to discuss my application with a member of the admissions committee while I am still on the waitlist at this particular school. I don't want to come off to the school as though I am giving up on this years admissions cycle, but I also want to get feedback about my application in case I have to reapply. What's your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I set up a phone conference with the admissions director of Arkansas, and I'm glad I did. As long as you can present yourself well, you're not going to hurt your chances. Make sure you emphasize that you're interested in improving yourself rather than finding out what you did wrong. Those are two sides of the same coin, of course, but presenting your motivations in a positive light won't hurt. Getting in touch also shows that you're particularly interested in the school, in my opinion.

Does meeting with a member of the admissions committee while you are on the waitlist look like you are conceding defeat? I am considering setting up a meeting to discuss my application with a member of the admissions committee while I am still on the waitlist at this particular school. I don't want to come off to the school as though I am giving up on this years admissions cycle, but I also want to get feedback about my application in case I have to reapply. What's your opinions?
I think something like that would, if anything, show genuine interest and it couldn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar situation although it be rather a bit different. I was interviewed at only three schools of the sixteen and got waitlisted at two. That is how my situation is similar but now, I present to you the two differences. The third interviewing school sent me a letter stating that the adcom had decided I was placed on the very competitive category with a decision on either acceptance or placement on the alternate list to come later this month. Second, I am actually attending an orientation session and tour because their schedule for these events did not fall on my interview. Thus, I am hoping that the visit in and of itself will show my "letter of intent" and get me in. For me, this visit is to keep me off the wait list in a good way.

Not at all. IMO it a smart move to prepare for the up coming year. Better to get a jump on it now rather than waiting and not having any time to make any real adjustments to your app. You get face time with the deans or admissions people also, and if you make a descent impression they may pull you off the list.

To the OP, i dont think setting up the meeting constitutes conceding and it shouldn't affect your application negatively at all. If anything, it shows your continued interest in their program.

thanks for the responses. I was thinking the same thoughts regarding the meeting, but then I started to think about it negatively. I appreciate the comments. I'm definitely going to set up a meeting.