Meeting with a D.O. for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pigglyjuff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A D.O. doc who knows my family kind of well responded to a fax I sent asking if we could meet for a LOR. Well I received an e-mail from them asking if this day and time was good to meet, but I have class for the time they said, and now I feel bad for responding saying that the time doesn't work. I feel like it would be rude of me to turn down her time/day offering and have them cater to my schedule. Is it? The class is for my MS program so I cannot miss it. Also when we meet and we talk about the D.O. profession, what are good questions to ask a D.O. physician beyond the typical questions?

Members don't see this ad.

A D.O. doc who knows my family kind of well responded to a fax I sent asking if we could meet for a LOR. Well I received an e-mail from them asking if this day and time was good to meet, but I have class for the time they said, and now I feel bad for responding saying that the time doesn't work. I feel like it would be rude of me to turn down her time/day offering and have them cater to my schedule. Is it? The class is for my MS program so I cannot miss it. Also when we meet and we talk about the D.O. profession, what are good questions to ask a D.O. physician beyond the typical questions?

Yes. You should've included your availability when you asked for the meeting.

Questions that you're actually interested in hearing the answers to.

Once the conversation gets going after typical questions I'm sure it won't be difficult to think of other questions/topics to discuss, at least that's my experience with interviews (never done LOR interviews though, just job/volunteer interviews). Go in there with the typical general questions but feed off of the responses from those to keep the conversation going. Who knows, you may end up talking about pre-season football or music or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once the conversation gets going after typical questions I'm sure it won't be difficult to think of other questions/topics to discuss, at least that's my experience with interviews (never done LOR interviews though, just job/volunteer interviews). Go in there with the typical general questions but feed off of the responses from those to keep the conversation going. Who knows, you may end up talking about pre-season football or music or something.

Very possible. As for clothes, what's appropriate? Shirt and tie, or just khakis and a conservative button down?

Very possible. As for clothes, what's appropriate? Shirt and tie, or just khakis and a conservative button down?

I think khakis and a button down shirt would look nice. Tie is probably optional, but always looks professional. Consider yourself interviewing for a LOR.

Call the office directly at this point and find out if you can mesh out a schedule with his office manager or nurse/assistant.

Meet up for coffee and make sure you offer to pay. If it's lunch, save your pennies and offer to pay as well. Wear business casual and be comfortable.

Starbucks or a coffee house is typically relaxing enough and not too loud.

Well two e-mails and a 9 days later, still haven't heard back :( I called up another doctor and asked if the physician would just interview me, and they said "the doc only writes LOR for those he knows." Now I might have to wait until January to get my letter and make my application complete :(