Meeting with adcom head, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuvlyMom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pre-app meeting with the admissions director coming up very soon. I am not sure whether he's expecting me to interview him, or vice versa. I don't know how to dress, how I should make a lasting impression, or what impact these meetings really have on the admissions process.

If anyone has any insight or helpful suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first impressions matter a lot. Go in there dressed well, ready to answer questions, and ready to ask questions.

The only question is how well dressed. I'm not sure if a full suit would make sense, depending on what you're doing in the area. If it does, definitely wear that. Otherwise, at least where clean pressed kahkis or slacks, a button up shirt, and tie. That's my thought.

MoosePilot said:
Well, first impressions matter a lot. Go in there dressed well, ready to answer questions, and ready to ask questions.

The only question is how well dressed. I'm not sure if a full suit would make sense, depending on what you're doing in the area. If it does, definitely wear that. Otherwise, at least where clean pressed kahkis or slacks, a button up shirt, and tie. That's my thought.

as a mom i'd think she is female so i'd revise that dress code :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've met with the head of admissions at my school and I can give you some advice on what and what not to do:

1. Do not dress as if it were an actual interview. However, do dress nicely. Maybe a nice dress (assuming you're a female), or blouse and pant, like work. Avoid suits, etc.

2. Do not ask questions regarding your chances to getting into the school, etc. Use the time to learn more about the school, what it looks for in its applicants, the curriculum, etc. Show a general interest in the school, but do not try to have an interview, before you're chosen to interview. They will be looking more to give you feedback about specific questions regarding the school, not about you. So, do not brag, throw GPA, MCAT scores or any other information around.

In the end you should have a good feel for how you would fit in and by asking about current students, a good idea of what your "chances" would be, without sounding like you're trying to sneak an interview out of them.

LuvlyMom said:
I have a pre-app meeting with the admissions director coming up very soon. I am not sure whether he's expecting me to interview him, or vice versa. I don't know how to dress, how I should make a lasting impression, or what impact these meetings really have on the admissions process.

If anyone has any insight or helpful suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

LuvlyMom said:

how did you get this kind of meeting? you just called the admissions office and asked to meet with the head?

SeattlePostBach said:
how did you get this kind of meeting? you just called the admissions office and asked to meet with the head?

Pretty much. They only do it over the summer, & they do it to give prospective students guidance on how to become a more viable candidate. Do most schools not have this opportunity? Maybe they don't have such a high profile person meeting with the students elsewhere, but surely they have someone meet with prospective students.?

Thanks for the ideas & suggestions everyone ;)

LuvlyMom said:

If the point of this is to help you increase your chances as an applicant then they'll be wanting to discuss your situation. I would expect you should be prepared to share your GPA, MCAT scores, ec activities, etc. Just dress business casual. You don't want to go in there in formal ware.

Be yourself and dress in a way that is a.) professional, and b.) you feel comfortable in. If you stick to these two, you cannot fail when it comes to your choice for apparel.