Meeting with an OB-GYN D.O. For a LOR. How NOT to blow this?

kg062008

Removed
Nov 2, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, so I got in contact with a D.O. through the i-learn mentor program. She wants to meet with me soon to discuss witing me an LOR. I am really grateful she is considering it. Would should I bring or do to impress her? I'm a guy So I dont think making small talk about OB-GNY would be appropriate? I don't have any interest in that field. She has never met me so should I bring her a resume and personal statement? Lastly, what should I avoid doing to make a negative impression?

COMedic2Doc

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Now that I'm back from Iraq, on to applying for Me
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, so I got in contact with a D.O. through the i-learn mentor program. She wants to meet with me soon to discuss witing me an LOR. I am really grateful she is considering it. Would should I bring or do to impress her? I'm a guy So I dont think making small talk about OB-GNY would be appropriate? I don't have any interest in that field. She has never met me so should I bring her a resume and personal statement? Lastly, what should I avoid doing to make a negative impression?
Negative impression: trying to show off....
I would talk to her about the possibility of shadowing and working with her so that she can add anecdotal stories to your letter. I understand why OB/GYN may not be a main interest for you but I would not try to just get a letter without doing some actual time with the physician. If you don't have any interest in even shadowing for a few weeks, minimum, then perhaps looking for another letter writer would be a better way to go imo.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Also, don't mention that you want to shadow because it will make your application look better. Maintain that you want to shadow for your own benefit and because it will help you in your personal application process. I just had one of these types of interviews with a DO that agreed to let me observe her surgeries for a few days and I never once said that I needed an LOR, or I needed to shadow to help my application. She asked me about MD/DO and I told her I've shadowed MDs in the past, but am interested in DO as well. I explained that I was applying to both sides since my primary goal was to be a physician, and that I was considering DO because I find OMM/OMT and the overall holistic approach to be interesting and beneficial. All of that is true, but it's also true that I need more shadowing hours, need a DO LOR, and need more patient interaction for my application. I didn't mention any of that though.

Also, you don't have to lie and say you are interested in OBGYN if you aren't. But don't say that you aren't interested in it. It's perfectly fine to have an interest, but it's also fine to have no clue. The DO I'm shadowing next week is a Dermatologist that specializes in skin cancer and skin cancer excision. It was a really strange coincidence that I found her and she agreed to meet with me because my first specialty interest was Oncology, and lately I've been getting interested more and more in surgery (because of A&P class). I'm interested more in ortho than derm, but I didn't say "Oh I'm not really interested in derm."

OP
kg062008

kg062008

Removed
Nov 2, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Negative impression: trying to show off....
I would talk to her about the possibility of shadowing and working with her so that she can add anecdotal stories to your letter. I understand why OB/GYN may not be a main interest for you but I would not try to just get a letter without doing some actual time with the physician. If you don't have any interest in even shadowing for a few weeks, minimum, then perhaps looking for another letter writer would be a better way to go imo.

Wouldn't it be rather..."Odd" for a Male student to shadow an OBGYN? I understand that I will have to do obgyn rotation in 3rd year If I get into medical school, but I can deal with that when the time comes.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Wouldn't it be rather..."Odd" for a Male student to shadow an OBGYN? I understand that I will have to do obgyn rotation in 3rd year If I get into medical school, but I can deal with that when the time comes.
I've never shadowed an OBGYN, but I don't think they put all their patients in stirrups.

COMedic2Doc

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Now that I'm back from Iraq, on to applying for Me
Status
Pre-Medical
Not particularly, and if the OB/GYN is contacting you about a LOR there's a good chance that she's already thought this through imo. There is a lot more to OB/GYN than vaginal exams that you really could benefit from the learning experience imo.

Iliketoytles

5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Not particularly, and if the OB/GYN is contacting you about a LOR there's a good chance that she's already thought this through imo. There is a lot more to OB/GYN than vaginal exams that you really could benefit from the learning experience imo.
But.... but.... :(

CopToEM

Livin' the Dream
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Southeast US
Status
Medical Student
Don't stress about this. She knows what you need and what you want and you are going there with that understanding. She just wants to talk to you so she can write you a personal LOR instead of a completely generic one.

You might write a VERY brief list of your extracurricular activities (NO DESCRIPTION!) or any other experiences she can put weight into.

For example:

Extra-Curriculars
Little league coach - 2 years
Gen Chem Tutor - 1 year
Food Bank - 3 years, and so on.

GPA: 3.7+

This just gives her something to hold in her hands that will help you.

Do act interested in her field - just because you're a man doesn't mean anything.

Apr 15, 2012
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
LOL- it would be odd if you ONLY went around shadowing various obgyns.

I would definitely take a resume that includes ECs and whatnot. This way if in your discussions you forget to cover something (or she forgets what was said) she has something in her hands to look at.

Good luck!

Lui Kang

Removed
May 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Should the person bring a gift in this situation?