Meeting with prof. tomorrow to discuss LOR, how should I ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished a biology class with a high A (98%) and most likely the top mark in the 100+ class. I am meeting with my professor tomorrow and asking him to write me a LOR. How should I approach the meeting? Should I be direct? Do I just go in and after some small talk, ask him directly: "Are you willing to write me a LOR for medical school?"

Members don't see this ad.

"(Insert something about how you felt about the semester in general), so I'm wondering about the possibility of you writing a LOR for my med school application next (or whenever) year"

Although I hope that you have gotten to know him much more in depth than just being his top student.

It might be premature if you didn't go to office hrs before and suddenly ask for a rec letter.
I'd use this time to talk and get to know the professor more.

During next semester keep him updated on what you're doing... Maybe take another class with him.

By March or April, then ask him for a rec letter.. He'll know you well enough by then and can attest to not only your academics but other intangibles as well.

Sent from my phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response!

the prof. knows me very well, but i never really small talked with him during class.

Agreeing with the poster above, I would ask for a letter this coming Spring or at least a few months later, rather than tomorrow. Don't be too direct. Understand that he is very busy and might not be able to write a letter. Respect his obligations and time. This general attitude will take you a long way, because in this way, you are treating him as a mentor or even a colleague, rather than as someone who just does a favor for you.

Emphasize that you enjoyed the class and learned a lot. Maybe you can ask for what other classes the professor is teaching or other classes he would recommend. You can also ask about his research and how it might relate to the class. Also the professor might be an adviser for a student organization, and he might be a frequent guest speaker during its meetings. Or maybe you have questions just out of curiosity after the whole class materials are finished.

You can mention your futue career plans and he might have questions about you too.

Treat your professors like your parents who want to support you, respect you, and help you succeed. Having a conversation with them might become easier.

thanks, but here's the thing

i've already graduated, and i only took this class at another university. the professor doesn't teach anything else, and finances wont allow me to take additional courses.

Talk to your professor about your professional goals. Ask him about his path to where he is now. See if he seems interested in your goals and your plans. If he is, wait for a moment when he offers encouragement or support and thank him, then ask politely if he might be willing to write a letter of recommendation in support of your application, given that you really enjoyed his class, etc. Acknowledge that he is probably incredibly busy and reassure him that the formal deadline is still months away, but that you wanted to approach him earlier because you value his insight, and you wanted your stellar performance in his class to be fresh in his mind.

Oh, and tone down the last part so you don't sound arrogant :) But congrats on a class so thoroughly conquered, and good luck!

just came back! had a great, short chat, thanked him, and then asked him directly regarding the LOR. he gladly and enthusiastically agreed to it, and said to keep in touch.

thanks for all the responses, guys!

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished a biology class with a high A (98%) and most likely the top mark in the 100+ class. I am meeting with my professor tomorrow and asking him to write me a LOR. How should I approach the meeting? Should I be direct? Do I just go in and after some small talk, ask him directly: "Are you willing to write me a LOR for medical school?"

Although it may seem like a huge ordeal for you, being asked for LOR is probably a common occurrence for your professor. Just shoot him an email saying how you enjoyed his class and that you were wondering if you could meet with him soon to discuss him writing a "positive" LOR for you. Go in to the meeting casually and just talk. I like to talk normally until the professor brings it up and then request it formally from them. Let them know what you want to do any how you kicked butt in his class.