Meharry, Howard, and Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caduceusdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Meharry, Howard, and Morehouse are historically black institutions, but I was wondering what is their record on taking in students with other ethnicities? I mean are they much more biased towards Black applicants? What exactly is their criterion for a good applicant (apparantly MCAT scores and GPA are not)

Members don't see this ad.

I would tend to believe that you should demonstrate some type of committment (if you are not of their majority populations) towards cultural competance, etc... Read their mission statement, it may shed some light on what they look for.

They take a few non-Blacks (both Whites and people of color). I think there are even 2 White people who got accepted there on MDApps. I'm white and I'm applying to Meharry because I'm very attracted by their commitment to primary care - I'm interested in practicing in a rural area, esp. South, if not all, then for at least a sizeable chunk of my career. Plus I think it'd be an enriching cultural experience. Generally, their stats have shown 80-85% Black and the rest non-Black acceptees. However, there are many factors to consider: first off, many non-Blacks will not even apply to those schools. Second, more than 15% non-Blacks might get accepted, but they may choose to go to other schools - Meharry is, after all, not particularly highly ranked and there isn't a whole lot of prestige associated with the school - however, I think forstering a career committed to helping the underserved is prestigious in itself. They are also not particularly well-funded, so the facilities and such may not be as impressive as with many state, let alone other private schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meharry, Howard, and Morehouse are historically black institutions, but I was wondering what is their record on taking in students with other ethnicities? I mean are they much more biased towards Black applicants? What exactly is their criterion for a good applicant (apparantly MCAT scores and GPA are not)

I interviewed at ALL three schools and although black students form the majority of their student body (they're HBCU's after all) but ALL three of them accept non-black applicants as well. I don't think ethnicity is much of a thing they consider as much as your commitment to serving among underserved/minority populations.

So how did you determine that MCAT scores and GPA are not part of their criteria for a good applicant to these schools? :rolleyes: Why don't you pull a 19 or 20 on the MCAT with a 2.5 GPA and see if you'd be accepted.

well if you look at msar the three schools average about 25% of the class being of other ethnicities..
in terms of what other people have mentioned of having a commitment to their missions, i'm not sure how true that is..
personally i did about three years of work with the underserved community and made it clear that this is what i want to do, yet was waitlisted. i think there are a number of factors that they look at..

also one of the other applicants my day directly asked their interviewer how much race/ethnicity comes into play when they choose their class and the prof said they don't explicitly say they'll limit, but there is a preference for black students.
they are HBCs afterall, can't really blame 'em. just try your best - the process is quite random at times..

I don't know that I'd really feel comfortable going to school at any of the above, so it's kind of a non-issue to me. Maybe other white guys feel the same way.

I guess you should see Morehouse's senior class then m8. Nearly 40% of the students were non black. And not to start something here but why would you not feel comfortable there? Does that mean being around alot of minorities bothers you? And should minorities feel uncomfortable going to any school where they are the minority?

And not to start something here but why would you not feel comfortable there? Does that mean being around alot of minorities bothers you? And should minorities feel uncomfortable going to any school where they are the minority?

Because people would stigmatize me in a way that I would prefer to avoid if possible. Medical school is difficult enough without extraneous variables. I already can't get any love from the ladies in my nearly all-white school.

URM's may feel uncomfortable where I am because the part of the country where I live doesn't care about diversity. That's a social problem that I can't fight out here.

I guess you should see Morehouse's senior class then m8. Nearly 40% of the students were non black. And not to start something here but why would you not feel comfortable there? Does that mean being around alot of minorities bothers you? And should minorities feel uncomfortable going to any school where they are the minority?

Yes.

Because people would stigmatize me in a way that I would prefer to avoid if possible. Medical school is difficult enough without extraneous variables. I already can't get any love from the ladies in my nearly all-white school.

URM's may feel uncomfortable where I am because the part of the country where I live doesn't care about diversity. That's a social problem that I can't fight out here.

I dont really think that would happen especially at Morehouse, due to the near 50-50 mix, but you should at least find out more about the environment.

I really hope you just made a bad joke.

Well now you know how many of us minorities feel when we go to predominantly white universities.

I don't fault you for your feelings...I just hope that one day you will place yourself in a situation that will allow you to remove your exterior discomfort and actually embrace cultural (and physical) differences.

in terms of what other people have mentioned of having a commitment to their missions, i'm not sure how true that is..
personally i did about three years of work with the underserved community and made it clear that this is what i want to do, yet was waitlisted. i think there are a number of factors that they look at..

also one of the other applicants my day directly asked their interviewer how much race/ethnicity comes into play when they choose their class and the prof said they don't explicitly say they'll limit, but there is a preference for black students.
they are HBCs afterall, can't really blame 'em. just try your best - the process is quite random at times..

C'mon now, you know there are no absolute guarantees when it comes to medical school admissions. Although they're HBCU's but they don't accept every black person that turns in app, and just because you were involved in activities consistent with their mission doesn't guarantee acceptance either. This goes to prove what you said - they consider other factors besides these two - and this also answers the OPs questions.

I dont really think that would happen especially at Morehouse, due to the near 50-50 mix, but you should at least find out more about the environment.

I guess in my view, they are historically black for a reason. If the mission of the school is to educate African Americans, how comfortable am I going to feel as an outsider?

I would feel the same in the Ivy League. Even if they don't confine their admits to rich people, they have the reputation of showing respect to people who can pad their endowments.

I am a generic white guy from rural Kansas whose family made $20K/year his whole life. Even at the unranked state school that I go to, I am at the bottom of class hierarchy by a long shot.

So my only point is that I wouldn't seek out a school that has demographics that don't seem to apply to me.

C'mon now, you know there are no absolute guarantees when it comes to medical school admissions. Although they're HBCU's but they don't accept every black person that turns in app, and just because you were involved in activities consistent with their mission doesn't guarantee acceptance either. This goes to prove what you said - they consider other factors besides these two - and this also answers the OPs questions.

i just wanted to caution the OP and any others that from my experience you need more than just commitment to their mission..
also, i only had the chance to visit meharry but i found their atmosphere amazing and i think anyone, regardless of race, would stand to learn a lot in that environment.