Meharry interviews in February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:rolleyes: Ummmmm, has anyone received any information about their financial aid yet. I was accepted in Feb. and had my FAFSA completed in March. I called the financial aid office today just to see when I could expect my financial award letter. They informed me that they never received my FAFSA. I then called FAFSA and they reassured me that my SAR was submitted to Meharry. So, I called back to Meharry and they told me they were looking into it and advised me to call back tomorrow. :eek: I don't know everyone else situation, but I've come way too far to get screwed over by financial aid! If there is anybody else out there without an award letter, I'd advise you to call the financial aid office. But, if anyone has any news about receiving their financial aid award letter, let me know......Especially Divinemsm!!! In case anyone doesn't know, Divinemsm is an angel from above!!! :love:

Somebody holla at ya boy,
Curiosity32

Members don't see this ad.

When I called Meharry they said that they would email me if they wanted to interview me. From the sound of it, it seems as though I might end up falling into the "wait list" or "acceptance range" but who knows?

I have a weird internal conflict that I don't think really has to be a conflict: I'm really interested in neurology but I'm also interested in working with minority/underserved populations. I guess what I had in mind is to be a neurologist with a group like Temple Health...it seems like primary care is mostly stuff that can be done by NPs and PAs...any thoughts?

Divine, Divine....Oh where art thou oh Divine!?!?!?!? Shakespeare at his finest :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when orientation for 1st year students begins this year, white coat ceremony, and when classes begin?

:D What's up Takena!!!

I called the Office of Student Services and the Admissions Office at Meharry some time ago to ask the same question. Freshman orientation starts July 26th, which is a Monday. I'm not real sure about what goes on that week, however, I was told that if you're more than 3 hours late on Monday, then Meharry will drop you from the Freshman roster and extend your spot to someone on the wait list. :scared: Also, the Freshman White Coat Ceremony is that Friday, July 30th. The first official class/lecture day is that following Monday, August 2nd.

Holla Back,
Curiosity32

Just a head's up to everybody!!!

I talked to the admissions office today and they informed that the summer MAPS program is mandatory for everyone this year, regardless if you're in the 4 or 5 year program. Also, the tentative start date is July 6th!! I say tentative because the super nice lady in the admissions office said that they might move the start date to sometime in June, but as of today the start date is July 6th. Just keeping my future classmates up to date.

Curiosity32

sorry but what is MAPS? Is July 6 the start date for MAPS or is that different from orientation. Does that mean If accepted I have to move down to Nashville sooner? :eek:

I don't think the MAPS program is mandatory for everyone. It depends on your MCAT score and on your performance according to your transcripts. I personally didn't do MAPS (I was working until late June) but its very helpful in getting your feet wet before the real deal come August. From what I saw, it really helps you do well on your first 2 block exams especially in gross anatomy. If you would like to live close to the campus look into the Meharry towers to see if they have any vacancies. Good luck and welcome to the Meharry family.

Curiosity32 said:
Just a head's up to everybody!!!

I talked to the admissions office today and they informed that the summer MAPS program is mandatory for everyone this year, regardless if you're in the 4 or 5 year program. Also, the tentative start date is July 6th!! I say tentative because the super nice lady in the admissions office said that they might move the start date to sometime in June, but as of today the start date is July 6th. Just keeping my future classmates up to date.

Curiosity32

You've got to be kidding, bro! I am not ready to leave Los Angeles yet cus I am still in the party mode.

Proph...

This is the last week of formal interviews for Meharry. For those who are on the acceptance range don't worry. I talked the admissions office and they said that almost everyone was placed in that pool before they get a letter of acceptance. So just keep calling and showing your intrest and you will be fine. Good luck ya and Holla at ya boy. And Proph I feel ya baby boy about still being in party mode, I'm not ready to leave cali either hopefully I won't have to.

What's up people?

I have some questions about Meharry for anyone who interviewed, was accepted or is currently attending the school.

1) if you got accepted, did you write a thank you letter to the Mr. Moseley/Mr. Davis right after your interviews (before getting the acceptance range letter)? If so, do you think this helped your chances?

2) I know that the curriculum is currently in the block format, but it is also changing. Does anyone know what the new curriculum will look like?

3) How is good is Meharry about need-based scholarships?

4) when do people typically find out if they are going to do the post-bacc? Also, Mr. mosely said that freshman who matriculate after the post-bacc enter the 5-year track. Does anyone go into the 4-year program? Who decides?

Thanks! I may think of some more questions.

Curiosity32 said:
:cool:
Now, their post-bacc program was similar to the one you described Takena (i.e 1-year in length & you had to maintain a 3.0 gpa), BUT it differed in the fact that you weren't guaranteed admission the following year. After their post-bacc, you had to re-take the MCAT, re-submit your application, and play the waiting game all over again without any guarantees.

I thought the Ohio program granted a conditional acceptance to the med school if you were accepted into the post-bacc. That's what it says on the info they sent in the mail.

hey everyone is there an email address for someone like Deborah where i can withdraw my app?

hey Jamaican MD:)

Members don't see this ad :)
lotanna said:
hey everyone is there an email address for someone like Deborah where i can withdraw my app?

hey Jamaican MD:)

Hey lady. I think the e-mail for the director of admission is [email protected].

I am finishing up my first year at Meharry and there are several postbacs who are on the four year track. I am not sure how they decide which track to put you in as a postbac. I do know that the postbacs do a lot of basic science work and then take the MCAT in April of the entering year, do the summer prep program (MAPS) and then depending on how they did on the MCAT and in the MAPS program, get accepted into the med school. So, doing the postbac program does not guarantee you admission to the med school. The people I know who did the postbac program seemed to have a good time and felt like if you worked it did prepare you for med school.

I know after May 15th there will be more acceptances sent out, but how do you show your intrest without bugging the hell out of the staff. I am ready and almost tired of waiting.

verbalassasin said:
I know after May 15th there will be more acceptances sent out, but how do you show your intrest without bugging the hell out of the staff. I am ready and almost tired of waiting.

Yo Verb,

what part of California are you from? I m here in the La La land!

holla at your boy.

proph...

Hey people

I got into KU's postbacc program after weeks of praying. So now at least I know I will be matriculating fall 2005 after successful completion of the post-bacc program-God willing. The program begins June 6. The program is funded by the federal govt. and they pay tuition, room & board, books, etc. So I'm all set it seems right? But guess what, congress has not yet approved funding for this years program so payment for postbacc classes would probably come out of my pocket starting fall 2004. Matriculating at Meharry is still a better idea. So do you think I should let Mosley and Davis know about this, that I am really wanting to attend Meharry and I have been given an offer for postbacc at another school? Do you guys think they will consider this and speed the process of getting me off the waitlist or will it backfire and I don't get into Meharry. Divine what is your input on this also. Thanks in advance.

thank goodness we are still in the top 10 pages. Apparently we need to be were we belong in the top 5 so BUMP :D

I absolutely LOVE Meharry :love: and would attend there if I could get in, in a minute! The ONLY problem is it's in Tennesse and I'm trying to "boycott" the south for the next 5 years. Good luck to everyone getting in this year!

I know there are many things to consider when choosing med. school. For all of you guys that know alot about Nashville, would you mind sharing your experiences with HBs. That's probably in the top three when choosing for location of med. school.

holla!

proph...

The countdown to May 15th is in full action. Lets make it happen Meharry or Drew. I am ready for one of these schools to finnaly holla at ya boy. I can see myself excelling at both schools.

Guess what guys, I got an email from Meharry today stating that I had to send them a copy of my citizenship form to financial aid office. Ha Haaa. Man I thought I got admitted. End of story. :smuggrin:

Tekena1 said:
Guess what guys, I got an email from Meharry today stating that I had to send them a copy of my citizenship form to financial aid office. Ha Haaa. Man I thought I got admitted. End of story. :smuggrin:

Definitely a good sign! Perhaps your admission letter is in the mail. Mind you , it comes in small envelopes.

Proph...

Tekena1 said:

I agree with prophecy 2; why else would they want that kind of info?? :luck:

You're in there like swim wear Tekena. Just a matter of days :thumbup: !!!

Hopefully I get that letter sometime soon :) Anybody have similar experience that got in? Financial aid office requests before admission.

I got a letter from Meharry saturday saying I'm on the acceptance range (basically i'm waitlisted). Anyone in the same situation? what should I do besides waiting? this is really stressful....!!!!!!!!!!!

Write a letter explaining why you want to go to Meharry Thyca. Perhaps another LOR would help as well.

Kingnick32 said:
Write a letter explaining why you want to go to Meharry Thyca. Perhaps another LOR would help as well.

thanxxx Kingnick32...

Called Meharry today. Spoke to Mrs. Davis. She thought I was withdrawing my application from the school. She was telling me I need to make it in writing. I cut her short and told her "ma'am, I'm still interested in your school". She sounded surprised and told me to put it in writing as well and send it to Mr. Mosley and copy her. :D I need to know way before July 8. Counting down too baby. :thumbup:

Tekena I feel you 100% I need to know way before july I can't wait anylonger. But when half the class withdraws next week I am positive we should hear news.

Do you have a good idea how many possibly withdraw from the class?

At my interview, The first guy told me they accept I think 200 people each term, as most decide to attend elsewhere. I'm just tired of waiting.

I pray for you as well. :thumbup:

Good looking out, where else have you interviewed?

Ohio college of Osteopathic Medicine, University of Kansas, and Meharry. You?

Drew/UCLA, Meharry, UC San Diego, UC Irvine

Man I know it must be hard as hell to get into those schools from what I've heard about the Cali schools. R you on waitlists from those or what?

yep, but i'd take meharry over uc I and UC sd, but not Drew. Believe it or not my estimated cost of living is the same at all these schools.

Drew sounds like a great program, but cali is kinda far for me. . .Have any of you guys written LOIs to any of these schools? I'm afraid to write "i will attend" to any school, because it's pretty much a contract.

verbalassasin said:
yep, but i'd take meharry over uc I and UC sd, but not Drew. Believe it or not my estimated cost of living is the same at all these schools.

Man, you've got balls to be choosing Meharry over uci and ucsd!
My friends think I am nuts when I tell them my preference of Meharry to UCLA. I think Curiosity is choosing Meharry over some big schools too.

Good luck guys. May 15th is just around the corner.

proph...

prophecy2 said:
Man, you've got balls to be choosing Meharry over uci and ucsd!
My friends think I am nuts when I tell them my preference of Meharry to UCLA. I think Curiosity is choosing Meharry over some big schools too.

No one understands more than me why a persona would choose an HBCU especially those of us who weren't smart enough (just kidding :p I think) to go that route for undergrad!

Good Luck to EVERYONE !!!!!!

Any news people?
Tekena did the letter come thru?