Meharry interviews in February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no news yet.
any idea what the match list is at Meharry???? where can I look it up?

Members don't see this ad.

lotanna said:
Any news people?
Tekena did the letter come thru?

As of yesterday no letter in the mail. Hopefully by end of this week or next week or around the 15th.

Pardon my french, but waiting SUCKS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamaican MD said:
Pardon my french, but waiting SUCKS.

Waiting is just Gods way of tesing both your patience AND your faith! ;)

Good Luck Everybody!

PS- I know, I know, ya'll ain't tryin' to hear dat.

Thyca said:
no news yet.
any idea what match list is at Meharry???? where can I look it up?

they have one on their website. click on the icon that says school of med. then click on where it says "something" catalogue and then recent resident appointments.

I think that' s where it is. Mind you I havent been to that site in a minute now.

proph...

prophecy2 said:
they have one on their website. click on the icon that says school of med. then click on where it says "something" catalogue and then recent resident appointments.

I think that' s where it is. Mind you I havent been to that site in a minute now.

proph...

Now how did I miss that? I thought I clicked everything there was to click on that site. Thanks for posting.

:D Man, wuuuuuzzzz up!!!!

How in the hell is everybody doing? I haven't visited SDN land in awhile...kinda missing ya'll! :love: I've been working my butt off trying to save a few dollars before school starts. By the way, I talked to Ms. Davis, Ms. Alava, and Mr. Mosley....It's official!!! School starts July 6th, 2004. Apparently, Meharry is going to a new curriculum starting this year...And with this new curriculum, the summer MAPS program is no longer optional for any incoming student, regardless if you've been accepted into the 4-year or 5-year program. It's now mandatory for all incoming freshman. So get ready, my future family!!!

And to Takena, Verbalassasin, JamaicanMD, and any others who are still waiting....KEEP 'YA HEAD UP!!! I'm sure all of you will get in. I have a close friend here in Louisiana that interviewed at Meharry and got a rejection letter instead of an "accepting range" letter. So, keep the faith people!!! It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings! :laugh:

Now on to another note. Meharry is a fine institution. I applied to 8 schools, received interview invitations from 7, actually interviewed at 6, accepted to 5, and on 1 waitlist. And of all the schools, Meharry impressed me the most!!! For all of those reading who never visited Meharry....YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! Like I tell my friends who will apply next year, Meharry is like a diamond in the rough. Once, I visited there, I fell in love with the place! :love: It was easy to choose Meharry over some of the other schools I was accepted to.

Man, once again, ya'll keep your heads up and keep praying. I can't wait to meet my new extended family!

Holla back,
Curiosity32

prophecy2 said:
Man, you've got balls to be choosing Meharry over uci and ucsd!
My friends think I am nuts when I tell them my preference of Meharry to UCLA. I think Curiosity is choosing Meharry over some big schools too.

Good luck guys. May 15th is just around the corner.

proph...

Yes you are :confused:

prophecy2 said:

proph...

.....THANXXX..... i found it.

Curiosity32 said:
:D Man, wuuuuuzzzz up!!!!

How in the hell is everybody doing? I haven't visited SDN land in awhile...kinda missing ya'll! :love: I've been working my butt off trying to save a few dollars before school starts. By the way, I talked to Ms. Davis, Ms. Alava, and Mr. Mosley....It's official!!! School starts July 6th, 2004. Apparently, Meharry is going to a new curriculum starting this year...And with this new curriculum, the summer MAPS program is no longer optional for any incoming student, regardless if you've been accepted into the 4-year or 5-year program. It's now mandatory for all incoming freshman. So get ready, my future family!!!

And to Takena, Verbalassasin, JamaicanMD, and any others who are still waiting....KEEP 'YA HEAD UP!!! I'm sure all of you will get in. I have a close friend here in Louisiana that interviewed at Meharry and got a rejection letter instead of an "accepting range" letter. So, keep the faith people!!! It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings! :laugh:

Now on to another note. Meharry is a fine institution. I applied to 8 schools, received interview invitations from 7, actually interviewed at 6, accepted to 5, and on 1 waitlist. And of all the schools, Meharry impressed me the most!!! For all of those reading who never visited Meharry....YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! Like I tell my friends who will apply next year, Meharry is like a diamond in the rough. Once, I visited there, I fell in love with the place! :love: It was easy to choose Meharry over some of the other schools I was accepted to.

Man, once again, ya'll keep your heads up and keep praying. I can't wait to meet my new extended family!

Holla back,
Curiosity32

Man, you ve gotta be kidding on the july 6th thing! How in the world am I leaving Los Angeles in June? Please don't make me drop meharry like hotcake!

Good luck yall.

proph...

By the way, welcome back curiosity. I dont know how you can live for days without SDN!

Yeah, July 6 is a very crazy date. So that means I have to travel back home for the big day (try figuring that one out) and then travel back, no hm no nothing. Well we shall wait and see as usual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I am taking my august MCAT's and applying this june without knowing my scores. I am scared of what I will get on the MCAT so I was wondering if any of you can anonymously share your scores and GPA or at least maybe a range for Meharry. I am interested in applying there. any comments would be helpful. thanks so much :D

futuremd11 said:
Hi
I am taking my august MCAT's and applying this june without knowing my scores. I am scared of what I will get on the MCAT so I was wondering if any of you can anonymously share your scores and GPA or at least maybe a range for Meharry. I am interested in applying there. any comments would be helpful. thanks so much :D

:cool: Ummmmmm, I really don't know the range for Meharry, but I'll gladly share my numbers with you. 3.78 GPA / 29 MCAT.

However, keep in mind futuremd11, that the ADCOM looks at your whole application....i.e. personal statement, LOR's, EC activities, etc. Numbers only won't get you in, but it'll definitely help out alot!!!

Good Luck futuremd11,
Curiosity32 :D

Thanks for the encouragement curiosity :thumbup:

I, too, am concerned about the early start date. I was planning on working a LOT this summer to save up as much as I can. I would need so many things y'all (computer, books, a place to live, etc).

July 6 is less than 2 months away! Is that even enough time to find housing? I wonder how long the break between MAPS and orientation is. . .

To those going to Meharry, do you have a place yet?

I still do not have a place jamaican MD. I plan to look for one after I graduate.

Hey Guys!
I wanted to see if anyone knows what Meharry's stats are, and also what are all of your guys stats that are considering Meharry???

I graduated from Vanderbilt University, with a 3.0 GPA and like a 2.3 science gpa (I know it sucks) and a 25 on the MCAT, and I am white (i don't mean to be racist or anything, just giving information)

Do I have a chance at Meharry?

coesp said:
Hey Guys!
I wanted to see if anyone knows what Meharry's stats are, and also what are all of your guys stats that are considering Meharry???

I graduated from Vanderbilt University, with a 3.0 GPA and like a 2.3 science gpa (I know it sucks) and a 25 on the MCAT, and I am white (i don't mean to be racist or anything, just giving information)

Do I have a chance at Meharry?

:confused: Ummmmmmmm, I dunno coesp! I've heard of others getting in at LSU (my state school) with lower MCAT scores, but I'm not sure about the low science gpa. What was your gpa trend? I mean, did you start off bad and finish up strong...or...did you start off strong and finish up bad? I know that most ADCOM look at gpa trend when evaluating a student's application. If I were you, I would apply to as many schools as I could afford. This will increase your chances for acceptance. I wouldn't worry about the past because you can't change it. Just write a stellar personal statement, get some good LOR's, and try to get some good EC activities in....in other words, the tangible is already done and can't be changed (GPA and MCAT)...just work on the intangible things (Personal Statement, LOR, etc) to make the ADCOM say, "You know, this kid has alot to offer despite the low science gpa. Let's interview him/her to see what they are like." Once you get that interview......It's on baby!!!

Good Luck,
Curiosity32 :cool:

hey,
I called Meharry this morning and they said that they are still reviewing applications and interviewing. Mind you, i'm on the waitlist.... so it means that i have a less chance to get in if they accept those being interviewed, right? i'm in trouble!!!! They said they will make a decision in the next 2 weeks.
Anyone in the same situation?

Thyca said:
hey,
I called Meharry this morning and they said that they are still reviewing applications and interviewing. Mind you, i'm on the waitlist.... so it means that i have less chance to get in if they accept those being interviewed, right? i'm in trouble!!!! They said they will make a decision in the next 2 weeks.
Anyone in the same situation?

Hey, I don't think you have a less chance of getting in than those they are just interviewing. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that mostly everyone is placed on the acceptance range before getting into the school. As May 15 approaches, I'm sure if Meharry isn't the 1st choice of those who got in, they'll give up the spots. I think we're all feeling anxious because of the early start date. Less than 2 months away. . .

To Curiosity or anyone else: How far have you guys gone with the whole housing issue? I was looking into it few months ago but stopped because of time constraint(sp?).
I have not thought about moving to Nashville for a while now, but all of a sudden I just realize that I only have few more days to get going.

Holla,

Prophizzy

:cool: What's up, Proph!

My first choice in housing is the Meharry Tower. I mean, I'm from Baton Rouge, LA and we don't get snow down here, so living on campus would definitely cut out the drive in the snow for the inexperienced (i.e. ME). My second reason for choosing on-campus housing is that I can save on gas money. I mean, gas prices down here in Baton Rouge are up to $2/gallon. If I'm going to be poor for the next 4 years, then I need to cut all possible corners and save as much as I can. And my last reason for on-campus housing is that I get to get an extra 15 to 20 minutes of sleep in the morning. While others are driving to campus fighting traffic, I'll be still sleeping in the comfort of my bed! :laugh: Anyway, I turned in my housing application for Meharry Towers/Herman Street Apartments last week. The super-nice lady at Meharry Towers told me I should here something in the next couple of weeks.

Now if the on-campus thing doesn't work out, I've been checking out some off-campus locations as well....just as a plan B. I've been looking at www.rent.com and www.theapartmentguide.com. They show photos, floor-plans, and a listing of amenities. I also input the respected apartments address on www.mapquest.com, to see how far away it is from Meharry. If I don't here anything from Meharry Tower before June1, I plan on driving up there (8 hours) to find an off-campus place. Oh yeah, most off-campus apartments offer specical incentives for medical school students (i.e. waived application fee and apartment deposit, reduced rate for the first 6 months, etc.) When inquiring, just let them know you'll be attending Meharry and they'll tell you their specials.

Holla Back My Fam,
Curiosity32 :D

Thanks for the post, Curiosity. Is the on-campus housing equivalent to dorms where you have about three people in one small room? What's the deal?

By the way, I just called Meharry and spoke with Mrs. Davis. I have comfirmed it: Meharry Medical College will be starting on July 6th. I believe Mr. Mosely will be sending out information package sometime this week.

We are required to send in our official transcripts, take full physical exams and some immunization.

Good luck yall. Four days away from May 15th.

prophizzy

Proph,

The on-campus housing isn't anything like dorms. They have one set of on-campus dorms, but it's reserved for the females! :love: Meharry Towers is a 10-story residential apartment complex on the campus of Meharry. It contains 156 one and two bedroom units that are carpeted and furnished with a stove, refrigerator, and garbage disposal. It is only for Meharry students and staff. There is another apartment complex that is considered on-campus, but is actually about 1 mile off-campus. It's called Herman Street Apartments. The lady at Meharry Properties Rental Office did not fully recommend these apartments because it is rented to Meharry students, Fisk University Students, and I think Middle Tennessee State University students also. In other words you'll try to study with a bunch of undergrad students in and out the complex and loud parties. You know....we've all gone through that phase....some of us are still in that phase! (That's why I'm not ready to start school just yet!) LOL :laugh:

Let me pose a question for all reading this thread....Is anyone attending Meharry now or will be attending this year single, married, or involved in a committed relationship. As for Curiosity32, I'm single and ready to mingle...not too much mingling though, I have to stay focused!!! :D

Just being my curious self....
Holla back fam

Curiosity32 said:
Proph,

The on-campus housing isn't anything like dorms. They have one set of on-campus dorms, but it's reserved for the females! :love: Meharry Towers is a 10-story residential apartment complex on the campus of Meharry. It contains 156 one and two bedroom units that are carpeted and furnished with a stove, refrigerator, and garbage disposal. It is only for Meharry students and staff. There is another apartment complex that is considered on-campus, but is actually about 1 mile off-campus. It's called Herman Street Apartments. The lady at Meharry Properties Rental Office did not fully recommend these apartments because it is rented to Meharry students, Fisk University Students, and I think Middle Tennessee State University students also. In other words you'll try to study with a bunch of undergrad students in and out the complex and loud parties. You know....we've all gone through that phase....some of us are still in that phase! (That's why I'm not ready to start school just yet!) LOL :laugh:

Let me pose a question for all reading this thread....Is anyone attending Meharry now or will be attending this year single, married, or involved in a committed relationship. As for Curiosity32, I'm single and ready to mingle...not too much mingling though, I have to stay focused!!! :D

Just being my curious self....
Holla back fam

Curiosity,

Are you talking about mingling as in dating or hanging with the opposite sex? I have heard numerous stories about that. Many people tend to discourage students from doing that. However, I was delighted when you mentioned the undergrad students that are in close proxity. Since Meharry doesnt have an undergrad, we can do with the surrounding schools including Vandy.

About the housing thing...did you arrange everything over the phone or something? Did you get to see a picture of what was being offered? And one more thing...For broke people like me, do they allow students to pay with financial aid money. I probably cant come up with the cheese now.

holla at your boi

prophizzy

prophecy2 said:
Curiosity,

Are you talking about mingling as in dating or hanging with the opposite sex? I have heard numerous stories about that. Many people tend to discourage students from doing that. However, I was delighted when you mentioned the undergrad students that are in close proxity. Since Meharry doesnt have an undergrad, we can do with the surrounding schools including Vandy.

About the housing thing...did you arrange everything over the phone or something? Did you get to see a picture of what was being offered? And one more thing...For broke people like me, do they allow students to pay with financial aid money. I probably cant come up with the cheese now.

holla at your boi

prophizzy

Men, Would you rather mingle with the same sex..hmmmm :scared:

supereagles said:
Men, Would you rather mingle with the same sex..hmmmm :scared:

Of course I would prefer to mingle more with the opposite sex. But coming to think of it though, I think I do mingle more with my boys. How many times do I mingle with you, supereagles? How many times in a year do I roll with you down to Sunset Blvd and all them Hollywood clubs? At the present moment, I hang with my boys a lot and we get to talk about HBs and how to attract HBs.

Holla at your boy

proph...

:love: Let me clear the air!!! When I say mingling, I just mean hanging out. I forget that different parts of the country have different slang terms meaning the same thing. Mingling, in Baton Rouge, simply means to hang out.....more so with the opposite sex than with the same sex. I mean it's cool to hang out with the fellas every once in awhile, but if it's raining/snowing outside and I want to make it a Blockbuster night, ummmmm I sure don't want to be cuddled up with the same sex!!! :D

Holla back,
Curiosity32
MMC c/o 2008

out here in Cali mingling means the same thing. I hope I get in Drew because the females I saw at Meharry where off the hook and that is a distraction waiting to happen. At drew I didn't see much of attraction, San Diego was wretched and so where the ones at Irvine. But I reaffirm that I would choose meharry over San Diego and Irvine with out looking back(The last time I had a black experience was high school and I miss it). I am tired of being the only black person in the room during class. Its medicine, the school doesn't make me, I make myself. Holla at ya boy.

I am tired of being the only black person in the room during class. Its medicine, the school doesn't make me, I make myself. Holla at ya boy.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Me, only black dude out 130 in my class. you notice when I walk in, when i leave, and when I ain't there, its where he at?
:D

verbalassasin said:
out here in Cali mingling means the same thing. I hope I get in Drew because the females I saw at Meharry where off the hook and that is a distraction waiting to happen. At drew I didn't see much of attraction, San Diego was wretched and so where the ones at Irvine. But I reaffirm that I would choose meharry over San Diego and Irvine with out looking back(The last time I had a black experience was high school and I miss it). I am tired of being the only black person in the room during class. Its medicine, the school doesn't make me, I make myself. Holla at ya boy.

Verb,

Did you attend UCLA by any chance? I think UCLA has some hot ones. In hindsight, I think I blew some of my chances and did not take advantage of the Hot humanity major babes.

proph...

Curiosity32 said:
:love: Let me clear the air!!! When I say mingling, I just mean hanging out. I forget that different parts of the country have different slang terms meaning the same thing. Mingling, in Baton Rouge, simply means to hang out.....more so with the opposite sex than with the same sex. I mean it's cool to hang out with the fellas every once in awhile, but if it's raining/snowing outside and I want to make it a Blockbuster night, ummmmm I sure don't want to be cuddled up with the same sex!!! :D

Holla back,
Curiosity32
MMC c/o 2008

Curiosity,

I feel you on the mingling stuff. Out here in Cali., Mingling means the same thing as in Baton Rouge just like Verb said.
But dude, maybe you can share a little bit of your experiece about the South. What is it like to meet a hot one? Is it something everyone keeps within the race or can one pretty much and freely deal with any hot one? As far as Los Angeles goes, there is a wide variety of options and the population is so huge that no one knows your business. Is that similar in the South?

holla,
proph...

verbalassasin said:
But I reaffirm that I would choose meharry over San Diego and Irvine with out looking back(The last time I had a black experience was high school and I miss it). I am tired of being the only black person in the room during class. Its medicine, the school doesn't make me, I make myself. Holla at ya boy.

COMPLETELY understandable in my book!

Curiosity,

I feel you on the mingling stuff. Out here in Cali., Mingling means the same thing as in Baton Rouge just like Verb said.
But dude, maybe you can share a little bit of your experiece about the South. What is it like to meet a hot one? Is it something everyone keeps within the race or can one pretty much and freely deal with any hot one? As far as Los Angeles goes, there is a wide variety of options and the population is so huge that no one knows your business. Is that similar in the South?

holla,
proph...[/QUOTE]

Man,
I'm actually from L.A. and recently moved to Tennessee, and I will tell you that just about everything is quite opposite.....The South is much much much more conservative and traditional than L.A. Most people pretty much keep within the race. Some like it that way I guess, but coming from L.A. where you got a melting pot of all races, backgrounds and ethnicities, I am still trying to adjust :( Folks know your business much more here than out west and you get lots more backstabbers here (i.e. first part of the Ludacris Sothern Fried/B.I.O.Y.A video). Also, if I had a dollar for every single 21 year old (black or white) with two kids out here, I would be a millionaire! But women do tend to take care of you a bit more out here so you just got to pick your battles.

I am so proud of all of you on this thread. You see alot of people talk about Meharry as a last option as a second class institution, but we are on here talking about how great an institution it is. Being an african american an african in america, or any other ethnicity that hasn't had it easy in this nation it is a great honor to have a school that is dedicated to seeing people like us get a fair shake in this unfair world. This is why I don't care if UC San Diego or UC Irvine call me tommorow off the wait list. I want to go to either Meharry or Drew. I take tremendous pride in any person or institution that tries to really give back to the community of which they came from. Ya keep remebering we make ourselves. And when it is all said and done and acceptances have been sent out I am starting a Meharry class of 2008 thread and I will defend against any insult ignorant fools on this network may slang against it. Holla at ya boy one time.

Hey Proph do you know of any jamiacan clubs out here in L.A.? For some reason I have a craving for Jamiacan girls, don't ask I just do.

hey,
those on the waitlist, any news from Meharry yet? when do you think they'll send the acceptance or rejection letter? i mean, classes start in a month!!!!!!

wlaclbr said:
Also, if I had a dollar for every single 21 year old (black or white) with two kids out here, I would be a millionaire! But women do tend to take care of you a bit more out here so you just got to pick your battles.

Yikes!!! :eek:

Thyca said:
hey,
those on the waitlist, any news from Meharry yet? when do you think they'll send the acceptance or rejection letter? i mean, classes start in a month!!!!!!

I've heard of people getting accepted 1 week AFTER MS 1 classes start. So all of you on the waitlist just need to keep your bags backed as if you're already accepted. For you religious folks, remember the power is in the word! :)

:D I know this is a Meharry thread. but Just wandering if anyone knows anything about the Morehouse Waitlist. Any information you can render would be helpful

whats up people, just seeing if anyone heard back

I applied late also (in December, but I consider that late for competitive reasons). I did submit my secondary application and haven't heard a reply, so I decided to call (although many schools don't recommend it) They told me I should recieve a letter in the mail in about two weeks (sometime this week or next). It's getting close to orientation time and I am keeping my fingers crossed. But the running home everyday to see if the letter has come is nerve wrecking. I did a secondary for Howard and haven't heard from them either. I was rejected by Wayne State and Medical College of Ohio. I hope you hear something real soon and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heymisslady said:
I applied late also (in December, but I consider that late for competitive reasons). I did submit my secondary application and haven't heard a reply, so I decided to call (although many schools don't recommend it) They told me I should recieve a letter in the mail in about two weeks (sometime this week or next). It's getting close to orientation time and I am keeping my fingers crossed. But the running home everyday to see if the letter has come is nerve wrecking. I did a secondary for Howard and haven't heard from them either. I was rejected by Wayne State and Medical College of Ohio. I hope you hear something real soon and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they told me the same thing last week, that we should get a response by next week. But I called them this morning, and the admissions lady said they send acceptance letters as late as the first day of class. So, do you still think we'll hear from them in a few days? Is the waitlist ranked?

wlaclbr said:
Curiosity,

holla,
proph...

Man,
I'm actually from L.A. and recently moved to Tennessee, and I will tell you that just about everything is quite opposite.....The South is much much much more conservative and traditional than L.A. Most people pretty much keep within the race. Some like it that way I guess, but coming from L.A. where you got a melting pot of all races, backgrounds and ethnicities, I am still trying to adjust :( Folks know your business much more here than out west and you get lots more backstabbers here (i.e. first part of the Ludacris Sothern Fried/B.I.O.Y.A video). Also, if I had a dollar for every single 21 year old (black or white) with two kids out here, I would be a millionaire! But women do tend to take care of you a bit more out here so you just got to pick your battles.[/QUOTE]

Reading this was equivalent to putting a dagger through my heart! First off, everyone is gonna be all up in my business. Secondly, I don't want to deal with the single moms. So my man how are you coping with macking the HOT ONES?

proph...

I called yesterday just to see what's going on with the waitlist. (I sincerely hope that they don't mind because I call like every 2 weeks!)

The lady told me that this is commencement week, so the committee probably won't be meeting again until next week. But let's stay encouraged! Maybe those acceptances will start rolling out next week

verbalassasin said:
I am so proud of all of you on this thread. You see alot of people talk about Meharry as a last option as a second class institution, but we are on here talking about how great an institution it is. Being an african american an african in america, or any other ethnicity that hasn't had it easy in this nation it is a great honor to have a school that is dedicated to seeing people like us get a fair shake in this unfair world. This is why I don't care if UC San Diego or UC Irvine call me tommorow off the wait list. I want to go to either Meharry or Drew. I take tremendous pride in any person or institution that tries to really give back to the community of which they came from. Ya keep remebering we make ourselves. And when it is all said and done and acceptances have been sent out I am starting a Meharry class of 2008 thread and I will defend against any insult ignorant fools on this network may slang against it. Holla at ya boy one time.

Hey Proph do you know of any jamiacan clubs out here in L.A.? For some reason I have a craving for Jamiacan girls, don't ask I just do.

Hey Verb,

I don't know about Jamaican clubs out here, but I will ask my friend (supereagles). I think he has some 411 on that. However, I do know some reggae joints such as Martini Lounge somewhere in the Hollywood area. It was not that great tho.

holla,
proph...

YOU JAMAICAN?

Hope y'all don't mind me jumping in the conversation, but a little birdie at Meharry told me that there are reggae clubs in Nashville. ;)

I know I couldn't do without it for 4 years! :laugh:

I am a 2nd year at Meharry and thought I would give some insight to the Meharry-Board Score question. Kaplan sessions are held from the end of april to the end of May. After that the students are on their own to study and some even choose to go do the "pass" program up in Chicago. Many who do that really score very well. As a matter of fact, the only person to EVER score a perfect score on the board was from Meharry; I believe it was 5-6 years ago?? This years graduating class has a 250+ student and MANY over 220 and more in the 230's. It's really amazing what they do here because they take people with sub-par MCATS, yet they get them ready to sit for the USMLE exam that every other school sits for. The result is Meharry has more students getting into their 1st choice residency position than Vandy which is less than 2 miles down the street full of students that must have a minimum of a 33 MCAT..... :thumbup: Meharry's doing something right!