Meharry interviews in February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No Fear said:
I am a 2nd year at Meharry and thought I would give some insight to the Meharry-Board Score question. Kaplan sessions are held from the end of april to the end of May. After that the students are on their own to study and some even choose to go do the "pass" program up in Chicago. Many who do that really score very well. As a matter of fact, the only person to EVER score a perfect score on the board was from Meharry; I believe it was 5-6 years ago?? This years graduating class has a 250+ student and MANY over 220 and more in the 230's. It's really amazing what they do here because they take people with sub-par MCATS, yet they get them ready to sit for the USMLE exam that every other school sits for. The result is Meharry has more students getting into their 1st choice residency position than Vandy which is less than 2 miles down the street full of students that must have a minimum of a 33 MCAT..... :thumbup: Meharry's doing something right!

:thumbup: :thumbup: Big ups to Meharry!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Jamaican MD said:
Hope y'all don't mind me jumping in the conversation, but a little birdie at Meharry told me that there are reggae clubs in Nashville. ;)

I know I couldn't do without it for 4 years! :laugh:

Jamaican MD screaming "No one cyaan test me on de dance floor" :D

Damn after reading about Meharry's USMLE's its starting to edge above Drew in my book. There are a few things I want to happen.

1. Meharry to accept me, and Drew as well
2. UC Sandiego, and Irvine to pull me off the waitlist so I can say NO!!!!!!!!
3. The Lakers to Handle their bidness and bring home the bling
4. Every person on this meharry thread to wind up in med school cuz ya are hell a cool people.

Jamaican MD, I think your gonna have to show me and Proph where the clubs at in Nashville. Good luck ya, and God bless you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
verbalassasin said:
Jamaican MD, I think your gonna have to show me and Proph where the clubs at in Nashville. Good luck ya, and God bless you all.

:thumbup: No doubt!

No Fear said:
I am a 2nd year at Meharry and thought I would give some insight to the Meharry-Board Score question. Kaplan sessions are held from the end of april to the end of May. After that the students are on their own to study and some even choose to go do the "pass" program up in Chicago. Many who do that really score very well. As a matter of fact, the only person to EVER score a perfect score on the board was from Meharry; I believe it was 5-6 years ago?? This years graduating class has a 250+ student and MANY over 220 and more in the 230's. It's really amazing what they do here because they take people with sub-par MCATS, yet they get them ready to sit for the USMLE exam that every other school sits for. The result is Meharry has more students getting into their 1st choice residency position than Vandy which is less than 2 miles down the street full of students that must have a minimum of a 33 MCAT..... :thumbup: Meharry's doing something right!

If only Meharry wasn't in Nashville TN......Where's the dam smilie for crying!!! :mad:

I know schools tell some people as late as the first week of classes. That's no the problem for me, I have only done my secondaries. Therefore i'm waiting to see if my letter is for an interview :) or a rejection :mad:. Keep me posted if you hear anything.

:D What's up my family?!?!?!

Just a heads up, I received some paperwork from Meharry today. It details the "New Student General Orientation Schedule", the "Registration Process", and the "School of Medicine School Orientation". It also includes a "Student Data Form" to complete, a "Pre-Entrance Medical Record" form to be completed by you and your physician (i.e. physical exam/immunizations). It also includes a 2004 Schedule of Tuition and Fees (note: some fees can be waived....i.e laptop fee if you have a laptop, Health Insurance Fee if you provide proof of insurance and Parking Decal fee if you do not own a vehicle....a total savings of $4500!!!

Holla at ya'll later,
Curiosity

Congrats Curiosity,

I don't like to make assumptions, but since you have recieved this info packet I can assume that they have made all of there decisions on who they are accepting this year.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heymisslady

heymisslady said:
Congrats Curiosity,

I don't like to make assumptions, but since you have recieved this info packet I can assume that they have made all of there decisions on who they are accepting this year.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heymisslady

Just Curious myself but how does one person receving documents regarding their matriculation mean no one else will get pulled off the waiting list?

Tkehinde said:
Just Curious myself but how does one person receving documents regarding their matriculation mean no one else will get pulled off the waiting list?

I don't think there is a correlation.

But I don't think heymisslady was tryin to scare us on purpose (at least I hope she wasn't!).

The funny thing about premeds is that we get razzeled and give up hope so quickly. We are about to enter one of the most demanding professions, remeber that we are on a waiting list, think how long this school took to interview you, and remeber that it is not everyone's first choice in a med school. So as they start processing applications again expect the best. Just be calm, that is the greatest trait an excellent physician can have is his calm demeanor. I know its tough but we are all in this together.

I haven't had an interview, let alone put on the waiting list. I spoke with them a week ago and they stated I would recieve a letter in 1-2 weeks (i'm still waiting for my letter)

Take care,
heymisslady

Members don't see this ad :)
verbalassasin said:
The funny thing about premeds is that we get razzeled and give up hope so quickly. We are about to enter one of the most demanding professions, remeber that we are on a waiting list, think how long this school took to interview you, and remeber that it is not everyone's first choice in a med school. So as they start processing applications again expect the best. Just be calm, that is the greatest trait an excellent physician can have is his calm demeanor. I know its tough but we are all in this together.

Verb,

Although I don't know you that much, but I think you are one of the most optimistic guys. I will probably tell you later why I think so. I always enjoy reading your post.

Big ups,

proph...

it's difficult to stay optimistic in this kinda situation. Even the calmest person will freak out when thinking there's a chance he/she won't get in this year. But let's no give up hope. If it's meant to be, it will happen.

Bumping this up for us hopeful "Meharrians." :laugh:

How do you bump (bring up a post)?

One thing I never asked people on here was, how were you interviews? did anyone feel that theirs didn't go as well as it should have, anyone feel that it went to well? who interviewed you and did you feel the student interview was a big waste of time?

I had two docs interview me--an MD and a PhD. The first guy was cool and non-threatening. He was writing most of the time, and basically told me exactly what he was writing about me! It was great because this was my first interview in the whole application cycle. The second guy was on the faculty and was more knowledgeable about conducting interviews. He didn't take notes as we spoke, rather he was looking at me the whole time. I didn't feel as confident, but at the end of teh interview he said something like "we look forward to seeing you here" so I was like, okay, maybe it didn't go as badly as I thought!

During the lunch, there was only 1 student and 1 former student, so although I read on the interview feedback site that the lunch was also a fake interview, I dunno how true it was that day since she was the only student there. It seemed as though they randomly stopped her in the hall and made her talk to us :laugh: I jsut asked a lot of questions.

verbalassasin said:
One thing I never asked people on here was, how were you interviews? did anyone feel that theirs didn't go as well as it should have, anyone feel that it went to well? who interviewed you and did you feel the student interview was a big waste of time?

Hey Verb,

I had two faculty interveiws (one was a PHD and the other, a JD). They were both cool and made me feel comfortable. The JD, at one time during the interview reassured me that he would make the interview as comfortable as possible and this was after seeing my excessive sweating. I also had one student interview, but I don't really know how that factored into the whole admission thing.

Overall my interview experience was cool. I didn't really put too much emphasis on the outcome; I could care less about going there. Hey, I am all up for Meharry now. There are several reasons why I love attending the school. I think my going to Meharry will be very conducive to what I want to do with my life. Big schools and LA life is not really my thing now.

where was I? Oh... back to the interview thing...After going to a few interviews, I am now begining to think that interview doesn't count that much anyway.

proph...

To those on the waitlist:

I called today, and apparently, some people were RECENTLY pulled off of the waitlist. Unfortunately, I am not one of them :(

So any day now, one of you may get the letter. Good luck.

Jamaican md, I thought they call you on the phone before sending the letter out.

Jamaicanmd, who did you speak with?

I spoke to Ms. Davis today and she said you usually get the admission from the waitlist through the mail. If the date gets too close to class starting, then they will give you a phone call before mailing your admission letter. Jamaican md, how did the conversation with Mr. Mosley go about that he was able to tell some have been taken off the waitlist. It would be nice if he said " your next" :D If you are already in my bad :eek:

That would have been nice, but you know, he kept it real. I want to know so bad how many ppl are on the list? And I keep hoping that ppl don't send in their $$. But I'm guessing that most ppl on the WL either want to go to Meharry (or they would have withdrawn) or have to go (because it's the only school left). I'm on one other WL, but I would rather head to Nashville.

He just said that "in the next 30 days" I may hear something.

in the next 30 days! :eek: :eek: :eek: So what does one do in that time period. Dang. I have to sign temporary leases and being uncertain is just not fun, you know what I mean. Classes begin July 8 or something like that. I guess the name of the game is wait without expecting anything and once the admit letter comes you quit job without notice.

Yeah, Tekena. It's not cool. At least I know about my situation. Maybe you should call?? Hey, you might be one of the ppl who got pulled off the list!

I noticed you said that you got into a post-bacc. When does yours start? At least you have a back up plan, you know?

JamaicanMD,

If you don't mind me asking, where else are you WL?

Thus far 10 people have been offered a place in the class. Remeber this does not mean they will attend. And also remeber that there are people who are in the class that are on waitlist else where. So I think patients is a very keen virtue right now. It will all play itself out.

That means about 50-55 have committed to attending so far, and after May 15, they had approximately 10 open spots in the class. (And this is just my reasoning based on the typical class size.)

I wonder how deep the WL is? Hopefully there's not some ridiculous amount of ppl on the list.

I don't think there would be a ridicoulous number perhaps about 100 people or so on the list. I just remeber how selective they are when they offer interviews. they say 7000 apply, 700 interviews are offered but only about 300 accepted interview requests and then from there the acceptance range. We will see whats up. I just know I will not be doing this again next year, God willing.

They quoted slightly different numbers to our group! I guess it doesn't really matter now. Just getting the chance to be interviewed was no easy feat.

To me, anything over 50 ppl would be ridic. I just hope that all of us who want to get in, do.

Has anyone written any letters recently?

Hello! people. This is my first time here and I wish I would have known about this website earlier. I Interviewed at Meharry April 29th (one day before the last interview date). I got a letter three weeks after that stating that I was put on the acceptance range. Anyway, basically I am on the waiting list like many of you guys@!!. I hope to hear back soon. It has been fun to read all the post and stuff. Good luck to all!

Has anyone done some research about rent prices or started looking for a place to live in Nashville???????????undefined

Nashville is very cheap atleast the areas in which I researched for living. $450 a month is pretty good.

Hey all!
Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I spoke with Mr Mosely about 2 hrs ago and he told me that from now on, people will receive a phone call as well as a letter whenever there is a change in status.
Good luck!! :)

Verbalassasin,

where do you live man(or girl)???? $450 a month seems like a lot to me.

Gr42 said:
Verbalassasin,

where do you live man(or girl)???? $450 a month seems like a lot to me.

man,

try 700 bucks here in Los Angeles for a studio. Now we are talking. For someone from LA, I think 450 bucks is just a CHANGE.

proph...

The Verbal-Assasin is a dude (a very Cute future doctor, if I may say) but on the serious side, I'm from Cali and 450 a month is hella cheap. 465 for a two bedroom is a damn bargain cuz.

Jamaican MD said:
Yeah, Tekena. It's not cool. At least I know about my situation. Maybe you should call?? Hey, you might be one of the ppl who got pulled off the list!

I noticed you said that you got into a post-bacc. When does yours start? At least you have a back up plan, you know?

Post bacc begins June 6. I will be working (getting trained) in the ICU as well until I hear anything from Meharry. I don't think I would have been hired if they knew I would be leaving for Nashville. If I do Post bacc I can continue working, that is my delimma. I need to find a place to live, etc here in KS.

Wow, that's even earlier than Meharry! Yikes, June 6!
Well good luck on your post-bacc/housing search/getting into Meharry. You'll have fun in the ICU. I work in one, and it's pretty cool.

Jamaican MD said:
Wow, that's even earlier than Meharry! Yikes, June 6!
Well good luck on your post-bacc/housing search/getting into Meharry. You'll have fun in the ICU. I work in one, and it's pretty cool.

What do you do in the ICU?

I'm a tech. I do a combo of patient care and administrative stuff. We techs do it all basically! And you get to see a lot which is cool.

And do you already have the job lined up in KS? Or are you training to get a job in KS?

I already have the job lined up. I start working/training/orientation June 14.

Hello!! everyone. I just got my acceptance letter on the mail today so mostlikely I'll be moving to Nashville in about a month. Has anyone else heard anything from Meharry?? I whish all of you the best and be patient cause' your letters might be in your mailbox soon.

I interviewed April 29th!