Meharry LOR requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveDoc

Respect the Rhesus Monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone sent in their secondary and $60 donation to Meharry knowing full well they won't be able to conjure up LORs from 2 science profs (only 1 but not 2).

I have a special situation ( as some of you are tired of hearing me say ). I've been out of school for a while and have only known my current science prof for 2 months. You will be amazed to see what your undergrad science profs are doing in 5 years if they are still alive. Sad reality.

Or do you know of anyone who applied and got in with only 1 LOR from a science prof. With that said please let me know about the Meharry question.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation, and I did a few things that really helped me. First I gotta ask, what exactly did you mean by the comment, "you'd be surprised....blah blah blah." :confused:

In any case, let me tell you that I went to an undergrad where even the upper level classes had 300 students or more. I never got to know my profs. I too, graduated a few years ago and had to go back to my profs and ask for letters. You'd be surprised at what a prof will do you for you. I had just one lOR and found out from two of my schools that the "exception" they had made for me saying only one LOR will do, did not apply any more. So now I was left with less than a week to complete my app at those schools and I was missing one sci prof. I emailed/called my prof that I hadn't met in years, explained the situation to her. I told her that I will be emailing my resume/transcript/personal statement to her and a few points about what she could write, and hopefully have her hammer out an LOR ASAP. You know what she did? Not only did she write a relatively good LOR overnight, but she also WALKED it down to HAND DELIVER my letter to the letter holding service, so I did not lose time by having my letter go through mail. The next morning, I got an email from her with my attached LOR just for my own reference.

I was scared all along to know what would happen if a prof didn't recognize me or something. Trust me, most of them WANT to help you as much as they can. I was simply amazed by this one prof. If you want, you can also mention to the prof that you are willing to provide any information they need, AND WILLING TO INTERVIEW WITH THEM, to demonstrate your need for the letter. It's always good to put a face to the letter, and meeting with your prof and discussing your application could only help you!!!

Go now go and get that LOR in time!!

Tweetie,

*sniff* *sniff* your message was so encouraging!!!

I did just that with 2 of my profs (I've seen them in the last 5 years). Guess it's time to venture out and try a prof I haven't seen since '96. Oh Lord...give me the courage.

Well what I meant by that comment is that several of my profs/scholarship director, etc are deceased. It's so unreal!!!

Thanks again! I am taking your advice.

One of my professors writing my recommendations had me for two months during summer school and "she" offered to write one without me even asking. I even got the professor of a class I didn't do too well in to write me one. I have been out of school for four years now.:D