Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Do you mind posting your stats? And how far out are your possible interview days from the day your invitation was e mailed?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile
DAT Score: TS 17 AA 16 ogpa:3.53 sgpa:3.26
Interview is on April 7

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations robbie319!! Now it's time to get interview ready

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Hampton U last week and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting accepted. For me, it was a decision between Meharry and Hampton. I was literally praying that I only get accepted to one school, that way I wouldn't have to choose and I'd be where I was supposed to be. I haven't heard anything from Meharry but they just looked at my file a couple days ago. So I don't know what's going to happen. I'm wishing you all the best though!

That's great you got interviewed! In my opinion though since Meharry has a dental school I would do their program if I were you.

Makes sense if I picking up and moving were that simple. I will only be able to do a big move for dental school. It's too stressful to pick up with five kids and an active duty husband, especially for only one year. There's no guarantee that I would get accepted to Meharry for dental school and if I did, there's no guarantee that I could even stay because of my husbands military obligation. It's a lot lol Hamptons program was designed by a program director from Meharry and they have a good working relationship.

Ahhh. OK yeah I didn't know there were all those external factors. Hampton is a better location for u?

Ahhh. OK yeah I didn't know there were all those external factors. Hampton is a better location for u?

lol I told you. Hampton is a better location for me and I really liked the people and environment at Hampton U.

Does anyone know the MCAT range of students invited to interview for the program?

Hey guys! I am a current MHS student and I just wanted to come on here and try to answer any questions you guys may have. I know last year during my admission process I stalked the thread looking for info lol so I'm just going to outline some of the basics of the program and answer some of the questions I've seen on here so far. Forewarning though, the program is dynamic and constantly changing, so I can't guarantee that this year's upcoming program will be exactly the same.

Alright so the program is a 1 year masters of health science program that prepares you to possibly matriculate into your respective medical or dental program for the following year. So example my program began fall of 2016, ends in spring of 2017 and I will be matriculating into the medical program fall of 2017 ( well fingers crossed lol ).

Okay so next, admissions. MHS is invite only. You cannot apply. Usually you are rejected acceptance into the med or dental school and then notified that you are being considered for mhs. I have no idea what criteria they use to determine who is invited. Some people received interviews with the med/dental school, were then rejected and invited to mhs. But others were flat out rejected, received no med/dent interview and were invited.

The program
There are requirements/expectations you must meet in order to be considered for matriculation. I'm not sure if the upcoming class will have similar requirements as our class did ( our class requirements differed from the previous year).

Matriculation requirements 2016
Medical requirements- maintain 3.5 gpa & achieve 498 mcat score during program

Dental- maintain 3.3 gpa & achieve a 17 dat score during program

Okay so theses are the basics. Let me know if you guys have any other questions

Reactions: 4 users
Alright so the program is a 1 year masters of health science program that prepares you to possibly matriculate into your respective medical or dental program for the following year. So example my program began fall of 2016, ends in spring of 2017 and I will be matriculating into the medical program fall of 2017 ( well fingers crossed lol ).

Okay so next, admissions. MHS is invite only. You cannot apply. Usually you are rejected acceptance into the med or dental school and then notified that you are being considered for mhs. I have no idea what criteria they use to determine who is invited. Some people received interviews with the med/dental school, were then rejected and invited to mhs. But others were flat out rejected, received no med/dent interview and were invited.

The program
There are requirements/expectations you must meet in order to be considered for matriculation. I'm not sure if the upcoming class will have similar requirements as our class did ( our class requirements differed from the previous year).

As far as gaining admission into the program. Do you have an idea of GPA/MCAT ranges of ppl getting into the Masters program? I have a 494 currently and I'm hoping to get into the Masters program.

Also if you meet those benchmarks is it gaurenteed admission or just an interview?

Reactions: 1 user
So i received an invitation today for April 7th

As far as gaining admission into the program. Do you have an idea of GPA/MCAT ranges of ppl getting into the Masters program? I have a 494 currently and I'm hoping to get into the Masters program.

Also if you meet those benchmarks is it gaurenteed admission or just an interview?

Okay so I don't know the exact stats of the whole class but I'd say the mcat scores ranged from 490ish and up and gpa id say Maybe 3.4 ish and up. That's just me guessing. And for matriculation if you meet the requirements set for your class, you do not have to interview for the medical/dental school and "will most likely" matriculate through lol I'll let you know on that part soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I don't know the exact stats of the whole class but I'd say the mcat scores ranged from 490ish and up and gpa id say Maybe 3.4 ish and up. That's just me guessing. And for matriculation if you meet the requirements set for your class, you do not have to interview for the medical/dental school and "will most likely" matriculate through lol I'll let you know on that part soon
Cool. Best of luck!

The program

Can u expound on some interview questions they asked

Can u expound on some interview questions they asked

Okay for the interview it's depends because there are multiple interviewers you could get and different ones tend to ask different questions, but for the most part it's safe to be prepared to hear questions/statements like-
Tell me about yourself
What are strengths/weaknesses?
How are you been involved in the community?
Why Meharry?
Why the Healthcare field?
They might ask you a detail about application and to expand on it
And just in case, be familiar with the history of Meharry, its mission, and what's currently trending in the healthcare industry.

Overall the interview is a time to really show who you are as an individual so just be confident, know nerves are normal & just be yourself

Okay for the interview it's depends because there are multiple interviewers you could get and different ones tend to ask different questions, but for the most part it's safe to be prepared to hear questions/statements like-
Tell me about yourself
Why Meharry?
And just in case, be familiar with the history of Meharry, its mission, and what's currently trending in the healthcare industry.

Overall the interview is a time to really show who you are as an individual so just be confident, know nerves are normal & just be yourself
Thank you so much!

Tell me about yourself
Why Meharry?

do you mind sharing your stats when you got into the program?

do you mind sharing your stats when you got into the program?

I actually don't want to post my exact stats because then I will totally be exposed:ninja: & I'm not sure if I'm suppose to be spilling the beans about the program lol but I will say that I had a high Gpa and a lack luster mcat when I got accepted

I actually don't want to post my exact stats because then I will totally be exposed:ninja: & I'm not sure if I'm suppose to be spilling the beans about the program lol but I will say that I had a high Gpa and a lack luster mcat when I got accepted
Lol I understand! Haha its ok! Thanks for that information tho!

The program

If there is no guarantee to get into their dental program or medical program, is it a good idea to do the program? also is it hard to maintain the 3.3 in their program?

If there is no guarantee to get into their dental program or medical program, is it a good idea to do the program? also is it hard to maintain the 3.3 in their program?

Actually I'm sorry, I was just corrected about the dental matriculation requirements for 2016. It's actually maintain a 3.0 Gpa and score a 17 on the dat. However I'm not sure what the incoming 2017 requirements will be. If you've interviewed already you would probably have a better idea. And yes the program is not guaranteed, you do have to perform accordingly to be considered. I think the question of it is hard to maintain that gpa is relative and something you'll have to ask yourself. But I can tell you that it is graduate school so the level, load, & speed are much different than undergrad.

I've just been accepted into the Meharry MHS 2017-2018 program Has anyone else heard back

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted to MHS yesterday morning. Good luck everyone, I'm sure you're going to hear something soon!

Seems to be alot of dental students getting in not many pre med students

Seems to be alot of dental students getting in not many pre med students

from what i understand, there should be more pre med then pre dent in the program i believe.

from what i understand, there should be more pre med then pre dent in the program i believe.
Yea, I think pre-dents find out before the med school students find out and its like only 20 dental students the other 50 is medicine from what I've heard.

The program

I got accepted into the program but already have my MPH, is doing this worth it? I was confused when I got the email. What are the chances of getting in assuming you meet the above credentials? Is it basically a post-back? Do they offer this to everyone who doesn't get in basically?

I got accepted into the program today! Considering it, are there any students that have gone through the program and matriculated to medical school that are willing to answer some questions? I would appreciate it!

New to SDN. But I'm a pre-med and was accepted into the MHS program today as well! Has there already been a Facebook page or anything created for those accepted?

I got accepted into the program but already have my MPH, is doing this worth it? I was confused when I got the email. What are the chances of getting in assuming you meet the above credentials? Is it basically a post-back? Do they offer this to everyone who doesn't get in basically?

So the degree you obtain is a masters of health science(MHS) And the program also helps prepare you for your respective medical/dental school, familiarizing you with the teachers and their teaching style as well as the speed & workload. Speaking on our year, our contract outlined a very likely chance of matriculation into med or dental school if the outlined requirements were met and that was indeed the case for our class. Lastly they do not offer it to everyone, the program is extremely selective and only very few are invited

HEY, I AM IN DENTAL SCHOOL, I HAVE 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT LOCATED ON CAMPUS. I AM LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE. HAVE TO BE NEAT. I AM A MALE STUDENT. PRICE IS $475 INCLUDING UTILITIES. NEED A ROOMMATE FOR JUST A YEAR. FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT

HEY, I AM IN DENTAL SCHOOL, I HAVE 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT LOCATED ON CAMPUS. I AM LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE. HAVE TO BE NEAT. I AM A MALE STUDENT. PRICE IS $475 INCLUDING UTILITIES. NEED A ROOMMATE FOR JUST A YEAR. FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT
Hey I am interested. Please contact me ASAP

New to SDN. But I'm a pre-med and was accepted into the MHS program today as well! Has there already been a Facebook page or anything created for those accepted?
Wondering if a facebook page has been made as well!

Has anybody been sent the matriculation information and financial aid info yet?

Has anybody been sent the matriculation information and financial aid info yet?
I've been wondering the same thing. I've tried calling up there but no one answers and it won't let me leave a voicemail

Hello everyone, are we supposed to get a form to fill out for the immunization sand proof of physical exam, or do we just request one from our phyci