Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackStar90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm posting this because I do not see a current thread for those who have been given an invite to apply or interview for this program. I applied to the medical school and was invited to apply for the program. I can't find much on what benchmarks must be made in the program to gain admission into the medical school (and dental school for those who need to know that info). I was hoping you all could share the knowledge on the subject. Also, does anyone know when they will start interviewing or if it has already started? I look forward to the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, was looking for a thread too. I'm glad someone started one. Yeah i cant find much about this program either, only that it is by invite only and I've heard if you do well you have a strong chance of getting into the medical college

Reactions: 1 users
also i found this from previous thread of current MHS student:
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.22.27 AM.png

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the curriculum is set up? I know there are graduate classes but I'm wondering how they set up the curriculum and incorporate MCAT prep with it only being 10 months.

My thoughts exactly. I don’t think I need to reta,e the MCAT with a 505 so I wonder if the MCAT prep is optional
With a 505 you should definitely be accepted into the medical school. Sheesh!

Reactions: 3 users
My thoughts exactly. I don’t think I need to reta,e the MCAT with a 505 so I wonder if the MCAT prep is optional
If (when) we both get in I might need you to put me on how you got that 505 lol.

Reactions: 1 user
If (when) we both get in I might need you to put me on how you got that 505 lol.

I got you! Even if we don’t end up going. I’ll share my resources (via Dropbox), schedule, and tips. I got a 126, (122 eww cars), 126, 131.

Reactions: 5 users
In another thread they said if you met the MCAT threshold that you would do research while everyone else studied for the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking if i should do the program, because of cost. I was thinking of taking the MCAT again with a Kaplan class but that would be my 4th time, i know crazy, and no guarantee I’ll do that much better and plus current MSH students are staying you're basically in the medical school If you maintain a 3.5 GPA and 501 on the MCAT. Those are pretty good odds.

I was thinking if i should do the program, because of cost. I was thinking of taking the MCAT again with a Kaplan class but that would be my 4th time, i know crazy, and no guarantee I’ll do that much better and plus current MSH students are staying you're basically in the medical school If you maintain a 3.5 GPA and 501 on the MCAT. Those are pretty good odds.

How much does the program cost? LoL. And as far as MCAT I would not trip about that, just make sure this time you crush it!!!

I got invited yesterday as well. Does anyone know if they have certain requirements on who the letters need to be from?

Guys I found the MHS student manual! Hopefully we can get all the info through here bc they're not answering the phone.

https://home.mmc.edu/wp-content/upl...-Policy-Manual-2017-ilovepdf-compressed-1.pdf

Most Important info for matriculating to the med school

For consideration for admission into the School of Medicine students must:
1. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of no less than 3.5 by the completion of the academic year.

2. Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) minimum score should be 501 with no individual score less than 122, no later than January 22, 2018. Later tests will not be considered. Only the 2015 version of the MCAT will be accepted.

3. Fully attend and participate in all scheduled supplemental instruction and tutorials, as well as other educational development services.

4. Students must actively engage in the development of an individual learning plan, designated to increase their capacity for learning and enhance study skills. Adherence to the individual learning plan is an essential mandate.

5. Students must meet with the Program Director of the Master of Health Sciences Degree Program and other assigned advisors as scheduled. Students should also participate in all individual and group learning and growth experiences throughout the Program.

6. Students must demonstrate professional behavior throughout their participation in the Program.

7. Fulfill all the requirements for Graduation from the MHS Program by May 2018.

8. Students who receive a grade of F in any course in the MHS Program are ineligible for consideration into the School of Medicine under this Program.

MCAT/DAT Preparation
Following the completion of fall semester courses, students engage in an intensive 9-week MCAT/DAT preparation module. The instructional format is a combination of both on-line and face-to-face learning activities with practice tests and feedback. Students must retake the MCAT no later than January 22, 2018 for consideration to be admitted to the next year’s School of Medicine class.

^^I'm going to assume that for the 2019-2020 cycle, students need to achieve the required MCAT score by January 2020.

Last edited:
I found this Policy manual for the program in 2017 that gives some info and confirms the 501 MCAT 3.5 GPA requirement for the med school and 3.2 17 DAT requirement for the dental school.

Attachments

• MeharrySOGSR-MHS-Policy-Manual-2017-ilovepdf-compressed-1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
Guys I found the MHS student manual! Hopefully we can get all the info through here bc they're not answering the phone.

https://home.mmc.edu/wp-content/upl...-Policy-Manual-2017-ilovepdf-compressed-1.pdf

1. Achieve an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of no less than 3.5 by the completion of the academic year.

2. Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) minimum score should be 501 with no individual score less than 122, no later than January 22, 2018. Later tests will not be considered. Only the 2015 version of the MCAT will be accepted.

3. Fully attend and participate in all scheduled supplemental instruction and tutorials, as well as other educational development services.

4. Students must actively engage in the development of an individual learning plan, designated to increase their capacity for learning and enhance study skills. Adherence to the individual learning plan is an essential mandate.

5. Students must meet with the Program Director of the Master of Health Sciences Degree Program and other assigned advisors as scheduled. Students should also participate in all individual and group learning and growth experiences throughout the Program.

6. Students must demonstrate professional behavior throughout their participation in the Program.

7. Fulfill all the requirements for Graduation from the MHS Program by May 2018.

8. Students who receive a grade of F in any course in the MHS Program are ineligible for consideration into the School of Medicine under this Program.

MCAT/DAT Preparation
Following the completion of fall semester courses, students engage in an intensive 9-week MCAT/DAT preparation module. The instructional format is a combination of both on-line and face-to-face learning activities with practice tests and feedback. Students must retake the MCAT no later than January 22, 2018 for consideration to be admitted to the next year’s School of Medicine class.

^^I'm going to assume that for the 2019-2020 cycle, students need to achieve the required MCAT score by January 2020.

LOOOOL I just found it too.

How much does the program cost? LoL. And as far as MCAT I would not trip about that, just make sure this time you crush it!!!
Thanks. And I’m not sire how much Meharrys MHS program is , that’s what I am trying to determine. I was just wondering what looked better to admission committees: taking the MCAT for yhe4th time with the help of Kaplan prep classes and scoring better or doing Meharry’s MHS program and having a better chance of getting in?

MCAT/DAT Preparation

Yess.. y’all are legit for finding this lol

Thanks. And I’m not sire how much Meharrys MHS program is , that’s what I am trying to determine. I was just wondering what looked better to admission committees: taking the MCAT for yhe4th time with the help of Kaplan prep classes and scoring better or doing Meharry’s MHS program and having a better chance of getting in?
I think doing the program may look better. Especially if you do well in the program.

For Meharry specifically I would think doing the Masters + MCAT bit med schools in general really just MCAT (my opinion lol)

MCAT/DAT Preparation

Hmm.. i wonder though ... if MCAT prep begins after fall semester ( which usually ends in December ), how do they expect us to have 9 weeks of prep and take the MCAT again by January’s 2020? Am i missing something here ?

Someone who did the program a few years ago and is currently in the med school said said the program is ~ 40 K ‍♂️

Hmm.. i wonder though ... if MCAT prep begins after fall semester ( which usually ends in December ), how do they expect us to have 9 weeks of prep and take the MCAT again by January’s 2020? Am i missing something here ?

Based on the current academic calendar, the semester ends the first week of December.

Now I think it’s definitely doable. I went from a 492 to a 505 in 6 weeks because I found the best resources and studied more effectively. I also think the courses they offer in the fall will be geared toward MCAT content and students can just focus on enhancing their test taking skills

^Just my opinion. Lol

Does anyone know if we have to send in a transcript or personal statement? The application doesn’t ask for anything other 2 recommenders.

Based on the current academic calendar, the semester ends the first week of December.

Now I think it’s definitely doable. I went from a 492 to a 505 in 6 weeks because I found the best resources and studied more effectively. I also think the courses they offer in the fall will be geared toward MCAT content and students can just focus on enhancing their test taking skills

^Just my opinion. Lol
Great thanks for that info! And if we do get in together I’ll need your secret please. I need my score to jump like that in those 9 weeks! Lol

This application cycle has broken me and I’m tired af tbh. So if this program will reduce the headache, prepare me for the rigor of Med school, and increase my chances of getting that MD, I Will do it

It’ll be 10 months of hardwork but I know a 3.5. GPA >> is possible. We’re so close.

Does anyone know if we have to send in a transcript or personal statement? The application doesn’t ask for anything other 2 recommenders.

You send the transcripts once you’ve been accepted. Since it’s the program application is invite only, they already have our essays/info from the amcas app and the secondary.

I think those they invited to apply just missed a mark on the app but we’re good fits for Meharry. That’s why they set the the 3.5 and MCAT minimum for matriculation. Some people was the MCAT others was their science gpa.

They like us, but want to make sure we can handle it

This application cycle has broken me and I’m tired af tbh. So if this program will reduce the headache, prepare me for the rigor of Med school, and increase my chances of getting that MD, I Will do it

It’ll be 10 months of hardwork but I know a 3.5. GPA >> is possible. We’re so close.
I totally agree, if it’s bascially a guarantee, if we make those stats,I don’t mind those odd at all. It seems very promising from everything I’ve heard, more than other post-baccs. And plus as you said the application cycle is so tiring and frustrating.

You send the transcripts once you’ve been accepted. Since it’s the program application is invite only, they already have our essays/info from the amcas app and the secondary.

I think those they invited to apply just missed a mark on the app but we’re good fits for Meharry. That’s why they set the the 3.5 and MCAT minimum for matriculation. Some people was the MCAT others was their science gpa.

Yup i believe the same thing. Cause i know for a fact some people didn’t get an invite , so they must see something in us. With extra hard work we can do it ! I know for me personally it’s my MCAT. I just gotta go harder than ever. This application cycle has broken me but this Meharry invite has given me small hope!

Do you know if there is an interview process? Or anything about it ?

I got invited yesterday as well. Does anyone know if they have certain requirements on who the letters need to be from?
I don’t think so. It just said those who could speak on your character. Since they have our AMCAS application, you may want to add those who weren’t originally recommenders. I chose my boss ( a doctor) and one of my undergraduate professors.

Ah. Y'all have me really considering this. Especially since it seems that there seems to be a guaranteed acceptance if you meet the criteria

775E4F50-1E09-4AD9-A30F-3B6B115E7862.png
What someone posted on another thread. Looking like tuition is $40K plus living expenses.

Ah. Y'all have me really considering this. Especially since it seems that there seems to be a guaranteed acceptance if you meet the criteria
Don’t know what your stats are, but you should definitely consider. The program sounds great!

If you already have health insurance and don't need to retake the mcat then you can deduct the $4,955.

If you had the choice between doing this program with the chance of matriculating to Meharry or accepting a DO acceptance which would you choose. I have been gearing up to attend the DO school but just got the email for the application yesterday and I would love the opportunity to attend Meharry

If you had the choice between doing this program with the chance of matriculating to Meharry or accepting a DO acceptance which would you choose. I have been gearing up to attend the DO school but just got the email for the application yesterday and I would love the opportunity to attend Meharry

It's up to you though. Think about what will make you the happiest in the long run.

Tough question, i was thinking the same because I’m also considering DO schools. I wondering what y’all think as well?

It's up to you though. Think about what will make you the happiest in the long run.
I agree , i know for me MD has always been the dream, not to saying DO is less than, but if i had another chance of getting the MD , i would just go for it. Also for me i plan to practice outside the country at some point and I’ve heard that DO is not accepted in all places outside U.S. But yes think of ultimately what is your goal? I

I agree , i know for me MD has always been the dream, not to saying DO is less than, but if i had another chance of getting the MD , i would just go for it. Also for me i plan to practice outside the country at some point and I’ve heard that DO is not accepted in all places outside U.S. But yes think of ultimately what is your goal? I
Yeah exactly. For me the fact that the other nations don't realize that US DO's get the same Medical training as US MD's is disappointing and so they don't allow them to practice. Mainly because DO's in other countries don't get the same quality medic training (some next to none).

Status
Not open for further replies.