Meharry Medical College Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, sorry to bother you off-topic, but the other Meharry threads are kind of... inactive.

But anyway, do you guys know of anyone who's gotten off the Meharry wait list? All I hear is that it never moves, so it'd be nice to hope otherwise. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

could somebody refresh my memory about the class schedule...was it 8-12 w/ labs being in the evening?

I vaguely remember something like that. I'll PM Goldengirl and ask.

Hey guys, sorry to bother you off-topic, but the other Meharry threads are kind of... inactive.

But anyway, do you guys know of anyone who's gotten off the Meharry wait list? All I hear is that it never moves, so it'd be nice to hope otherwise. Thanks!

Are you looking for people who got off waitlist this cycle? my guess is there wont be wait list movement until closer to May 15th (that's the magical date right?)

Yeah, I doubt the list will move until May, you're right... I guess I was wondering if anyone had heard from current students at Meharry if they'd gotten off the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just posting goldengirl's response to my PM

"Hey,

First semester we generally had class longer than noon, generally lecture will be scheduled from like 8-2 or 3. Every now and then we would get out a noon. Then gross anatomy lab is scheduled in the afternoon. And although the schedule may say gross lab from 3-5, expect to be in there longer than that, plus the weekends. Hope this helps!"

Also, I'm officially going to Meharry in June:hardy::D:cool:

Just posting goldengirl's response to my PM

"Hey,

First semester we generally had class longer than noon, generally lecture will be scheduled from like 8-2 or 3. Every now and then we would get out a noon. Then gross anatomy lab is scheduled in the afternoon. And although the schedule may say gross lab from 3-5, expect to be in there longer than that, plus the weekends. Hope this helps!"

Also, I'm officially going to Meharry in June:hardy::D:cool:

omyword ... thanks Alyssa

Does anyone know when financial award letters will be sent out?

Thx Alyssa! When I called, they said the award letters would be sent out by the end of April:-?

It's official....MMC in June :cool:

Is anyone (female) looking for a roommate?

I'm excited. scared. nervous. This is such a big step and I feel so blessed to be able to live my dreams!

Lys

Is anyone (female) looking for a roommate?

I'm excited. scared. nervous. This is such a big step and I feel so blessed to be able to live my dreams!

Lys

You sound like me...I've gone through a range of emotions...lol...the day before yesterday I was nervous...right now, I'm calm...next week, I'll be feeling something different...lol

I'm still undecided about the living situation. I've seen some niiiiice places and thought "If only I had a roomate", but I'm not crazy about driving everyday...especially if we're gonna be in class all day long...but I might have to live off-campus because i've already told the landlord I'll be out by the end of May and I don't know if the on-campus thing is gonna happen :rolleyes: ... *sigh*

Housing is still a toss for me, though I am female. It seems there are still many unfilled seats for the incoming class. I'm guessing lots of people will be looking for roommates? Like Sernic, I'll be moving to TN in May (Memorial wknd)! Fast...I know:eek: Most places cost about the same, if not less, than where I live now. So hopefully things will work out for me to live off campus. I live an hour from DC, so anything is probably cheaper than here:oops:
BUT...I believe goldengirl mentioned their class was putting out a list of places and other info for us; that may have some better rec's on housing? Hopefully we'll know some fin aid info soon?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just now got an interview invite. No more $ left tho....you guys have fun in June!

I am going to nashville this weekend to finalize my housing situation. I really want to live close to campus but i dont want to live in the dorms. the downtown area seems to be very expensive.

Does anyone know where they are going to live yet?

I am going to nashville this weekend to finalize my housing situation. I really want to live close to campus but i dont want to live in the dorms. the downtown area seems to be very expensive.

Does anyone know where they are going to live yet?

I have no idea where I'm going to live. Close to campus hopefully. I was browsing through the class thread from last year and got the tip that you can go on the local police website and check the safety of the area you want to live in.

Lys

Congrats to all that got in. Hope to be a part of your class in June. Any ideas if the waitlist will move? I am impatiently waiting, on one hand I am excited at the opportunity to be pulled off of the waitlist and on the other hand I don't know how I will plan a move from CA at the last minute. However, I know if offered I will do it anyways, even if it kills me.

DO2012 Im totally with you. I am currently on the waiting list also and I loved Meharry when I visted. I'm in Cali too so it would have been nice to be able to plan things out sooner but if I get into Meharry here I come! I hope we both get off of the waiting list. Since I believe Meharry's last interview is on Friday I am guessing we won't hear until May 15th.

DO2012 Im totally with you. I am currently on the waiting list also and I loved Meharry when I visted. I'm in Cali too so it would have been nice to be able to plan things out sooner but if I get into Meharry here I come! I hope we both get off of the waiting list. Since I believe Meharry's last interview is on Friday I am guessing we won't hear until May 15th.

The deadline to withdraw and still receive a refund of the deposit is May 2nd, so there might be some movement before the 15th.

Rock on Monty22 good looking out! It would be awesome to hear sooner than May 15th.

anybody received their fin aid package yet?

I sent my fin aid packet in a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend I went to nashville and I think I found my place. We have about a month before school starts. Who else is excited ?!!!!!!

I returned the packet regarding requested amounts, etc. But, no award info yet:-/
Very excited!! And to think...I move in 3 weeks!! YYYYIIIKES!

I called the financial aid office earlier today was told that unless I had been sent a scholarship letter, my financial aid packet would include only Stafford and GradPlus loans.

I called the financial aid office earlier today was told that unless I had been sent a scholarship letter, my financial aid packet would include only Stafford and GradPlus loans.

my word!...thanks Monty...I kinda figured that...it's cool, I just want to see what I'm working with...so to speak

Op22 is moving in 3 wks, I'm jelly :p ... I have 2 more weeks of work left...I'll probably run back up to Nashville in about 3 wks to secure housing

FPhy: I've been pretty calm this week... I'm predicting that I'll be excited next week and nervous the week after that...lol

my word!...thanks Monty...I kinda figured that...it's cool, I just want to see what I'm working with...so to speak

Op22 is moving in 3 wks, I'm jelly :p ... I have 2 more weeks of work left...I'll probably run back up to Nashville in about 3 wks to secure housing

FPhy: I've been pretty calm this week... I'm predicting that I'll be excited next week and nervous the week after that...lol

OKK! Just finished finals last Fri!! On the way to Jamaica for a week...then moving on the 23rd!! Have fun finishing work sernic!! All those going to Nashville early KIT!!!!;)

have fun in jamaica, optimistic22! I called the fin aid office today and they said that the fin aid award letter will be sent out within the next two weeks. I plan on moving to nashville near the end of may. KIT !!!!!

have fun in jamaica, optimistic22! I called the fin aid office today and they said that the fin aid award letter will be sent out within the next two weeks. I plan on moving to nashville near the end of may. KIT !!!!!

THX FuturePhys...I plan to have plenty FUN guys! Everyone will have to get together when we get to TN!!

I am so elated to announce that I will also be going to meharry medical college. I just joined SDN to announce that and network with some of my future classmates

I am so elated to announce that I will also be going to meharry medical college. I just joined SDN to announce that and network with some of my future classmates

Yay Kharvey!!!!!!! :D

So it's like 6 people doing this thread, we should plan lunch or something one day so that we can start picking out a study group. I know this is a bit soon, but I am bored and I love to think ahead.

Anybody have facebook accounts? We should friend each other :)

I do. I am Keisha Harvey. Albany State University. You have to ask to be my friend to send me a message and all that good stuff. Add me!!!!

friend request sent to KHarvey and Op22 :)

I'm on facebook. Aleta Paschal. Send me a friend request as well.

I'm adding you guys to facebook too! Be warned: I am not a facebooker, don't be surprised if I take forever to reply to things:)

Lys

I opened up a spot guys.

Out of all the schools I withdrew from, I really felt like I was breaking up with Meharry.

Best of luck to those on the waitlist.

Here is to hoping that I get a spot for this year incoming class. Thank you letting go of your spot. Maybe there will be waitlist movement yet. :)

Just received an e-mail from Meharry about MAPS (June 15-July 25).

Fall classes start August 4th.

We also get tablet PCs :D .

OMG!!!! My email at school would be down at this point. N-E ways, I am jealous. I was lookin at some of the other class threads and they have a lot more participation. I wish some more of our class mates would come up here so that we could chat. Okay, so maybe I am too anxious. I will just have to wait until june 16. Darn.

OMG!!!! My email at school would be down at this point. N-E ways, I am jealous. I was lookin at some of the other class threads and they have a lot more participation. I wish some more of our class mates would come up here so that we could chat. Okay, so maybe I am too anxious. I will just have to wait until june 16. Darn.

June 15th according to the email:cool:

The email made my day. I've spent the past few hours trying to coordinate financial aid, moving my junk, moving my piano, that health form etc. etc.

Here's a copy of the email so you can have a look.

Lys

MEHARRY MEDICAL COLLEGE
MINI ACADEMIC PROGRAM FOR SUCCESS (MAPS 2008)
FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN MEDICAL STUDENTS

Again, let me congratulate you on your admittance to Meharry Medical College. To prepare you for the upcoming school year, below is a summary of your initial program. This information is being sent to you so that you can make your travel plans. Additional detailed information and instructions will follow in a mailing to you.

Program begins: June 15, 2008
Program ends: July 25, 2008

The Mini Academic Program for Success (MAPS) of Meharry Medical College is an intensive six-week academic program, REQUIRED for all incoming first year medical students. MAPS is designed to provide freshmen students with a head start on first year basic science core courses of medical school curriculum. The main goals of the MAPS Program are to: (1) introduce incoming students to the rigors of professional school in a supportive but realistic environment; (2) identify potential academic challenges, strengths and weaknesses of students prior to the beginning of the fall semester, and (3) design individualized intervention strategies based on student performance on examinations, with the aim of maximizing student retention and progression in medical and dental schools. The MAPS Program offers 3 mini courses. They are:

Biochemistry/Cell Biology (BCB/MCBG): The BCB mini course of MAPS continues into the fall semester as Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MCBG) course. The main objective of the mini course is to introduce students to basic concepts in medical biochemistry, cell biology, and human genetics relevant to human life processes. The medical biochemistry and genetics topics will be presented with clinical correlations, and they will provide students with excellent integrative tools to comprehend the inheritance patterns, the molecular and biochemical basis of human diseases. The basic cell biology component of BCB, will focus not only on microscopic structure but also on structure-function relationships at the cell and tissue levels, and it will incorporate many important fundamental concepts in anatomy, embryology, neurobiology, pathology, and biochemistry.

Introduction to Clinical Anatomy (ICA/GAE). The ICA mini course of MAPS is intended to provide students with a fundamental knowledge and understanding of the basic concepts of Human Anatomical Sciences and Radiology, in preparation for the more advanced Gross Anatomy and Embryology (GAE) course offered in the fall semester.

Foundations in Clinical Medicine (FICM/PPM). The FICM summer mini course, which continues into the fall semester as Principles and Practice of Medicine (PPM), is designed to introduce students to the profession of medicine. The course will focus on; (1) the responsibilities and competencies required of a medical student and a physician; (2) the skills necessary to succeed in the practice of clinical medicine, and (3) the ethical and legal considerations relating to medical student/physician interactions with patients.

Student Tablet PCs:
For those of you who are not aware, this year Meharry will provide Tablet PCs to each of its incoming Freshmen in the Fall semester.

Important dates to remember:
Sat/Sun, June 14, 2008: Students arrive at Nashville.
Sunday, June 15, 2008: MAPS Program Orientation begins at 4:00 pm in LRC
Monday, June 16, 2008: MAPS Program continues with orientation and registration.
Friday, July 4, 2008: Holiday.
Friday, July 25, 2008: Last day of MAPS program.

Sat/Sun, August 2/3, 2008: Students arrive back at Nashville.
Monday, August 4, 2008: Fall semester classes begin.

If you have any questions, please contact Allen Mosley or Deborah Davis at the Admissions Office (615) 327-6223

Thanks Miss Alyssa, for sharing the e-mail. I feel blind being on the waitlist and the possibility of having to move with a short turnaround notice, if things work out. So it is good to be aware of the timeline just in case. Please continue to share...

HELLLO! Got this email too! So why am I so excited about finally meeting my classmates:)

I was placed on the waitlist at Meharry. It's been soooooooo long. If there's any movement, please post your good news here. **Keep Praying**

I havent heard anything yet either blessed :( I am praying too, I so hope we hear soon! I know this must be a lesson in patience, but I am so ready to hear!!