Meharry Medical College Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camrichie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my acceptance about two weeks ago. :) I am just waiting on the information package to come. What is everyones plans when school starts, re: housing, what your bring to nashville, etc, etc, etc.....

Members don't see this ad.

I received my acceptance about two weeks ago. :) I am just waiting on the information package to come. What is everyones plans when school starts, re: housing, what your bring to nashville, etc, etc, etc.....

Hello Camrichie,

How long after you interviewed did it take to get notified of your acceptance??

And by the way, Congrats!!!

I believe it was about two weeks. I interviewed the 24th of nov. and I received my acceptance email on the 8th of Dec.
Thanks, and good luck!!
Camrichie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Just got my acceptance this morning...I'm in shock!

I have NO CLUE where to start in terms of relocating, etc. I'm super nervous about planning and timing...
My fiance and my 12-year old daughter will also be moving with me, so if anyone has any tips for me - I'm all ears! :D

Congrats to everyone else accepted - hope to see you soon! :oops:

Hi!!
I will also be attending Meharry come June!! I am very excited and using aptselector.com to begin my search for housing. Has anyoe received their package yet???

I just got my email yesterday afternoon!! I am soo happy. I interviewed on Feb 2nd so it too about a month to get notice. Now i dont know how to relocate to Nashville. Anybody know of any good places to live?

I've been lurking around for a while and finally signed my soul over to SDN. Like a few of you I will also be attending Meharry this June. Class of 2013!

Since school doesn't officially start until August, what is everyone doing for the summer program? I'd like to find a roommate at some point and get settled but have no idea when/if I can make it to Nashville before the June 29 start date.

I may end of living in one of those extended stay hotels for a month if nothing else. hahah. Chime in 2013!

Anyone receive any information or contact list yet?

Hi camrichis,

How long after your acceptance e-mail did it take to get your stuff in the mail. I'm going on 6 days and still nothing. Also, any luck finding good housing?

I received my acceptance several weeks ago and still haven't received my package in the mail...

I've been searching the web and looking at apartment communities close to the school. I have an entire family to relocate, so I won't be on campus.

Has anyone received any word about financial aid yet? During interview day, we were told that we should write an email to the financial aid office as soon as we receive an acceptance. I wrote, but haven't gotten a response.

I also sent a message to Mr. Atwater (Dir., Student Affairs) to see if they offer any help for relocating, but have yet to get a response on that front either.

Trying to get to Nashville by June 30th is *almost* as stressful as the application process! :scared:

And for those who have no info at all yet - orientation begins June 30, but classes start July 5th or 6th (I'm not sure since Mr. Mosley told me the 5th, but that's a Sunday :().

Looking forward to meeting everyone and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D

i interviewed on March 2nd. I pray that I get it in.. Congrats to all those who got in already..

I was interviewed Jan 12 and received an acceptance Feb 17. I got my first package about a week ago. It just had a check list, form for a physical, and guide to nashville. I would use aptselector,
http://www.aptselector.com/nashville/hospitals/74/meharry/medical
I also got this link from a current student,
http://www.mmcstudents.org/pub/Main/WebHome/Apartment_guide.pdf

Good luck everyone who are sill waiting. Keep updating your schools of interest. Claim it, and it is yours!!

To those who are already set on attending I want to meet you, please message me. There is also a facebook group, Meharry Medical College - SOM Class of 2013, with only 6 people in it.

Call the financial aid office and give them your address. They'll mail the forms to you. Also, the apartment guide is REALLY helpful. Thanks for the post.

Hi camrichis,

How long after your acceptance e-mail did it take to get your stuff in the mail. I'm going on 6 days and still nothing. Also, any luck finding good housing?

Approx. 2 wks. I got it by email first and then they sent a letter.
Regarding housing I am applying to the Towers, and just in case I am also looking through aptselector.com. But the towers are my 1st choice since I am not going to have a car

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a first year student at Meharry. I've been getting a lot of questions about housing. I *think* an apartment guide is going to be sent to you guys. I'm not sure when that will happen, but I will ask about it. Here’s some info to hold you over :cool:

Essential resources

Apartmentratings.com (Check every apartment you are interested on here. You will find out how long it takes maintenance to ask, how thin the walls are, the insects under the carpet…)

Aptselector.com (Great resource. They provide free personal assistance on finding a suitable apartment for you. Note that they have deals with certain apartment managements. They get a commission from the management when you sign the lease. Thus they are not going to recommend ones they are not associated with)

Craigslist.com (It’s a great place. Watch out for scams. Don’t send money to anyone you have not met in person)

Areas
Bellevue
• A lot of students live here
• It's a nice safe quite area close to shops and restaurants
• It’s very scenic and in the mountains
• It about 15mins from school but traffic can be awful in the mornings

West End
• West End over by Vanderbilt University
• Heart of where a lot of fun stuff happens (cafes, restaurants, icecream shops, night life)
• Near Vanderbilt’s library
• Saturated with university students
• Pricey
• I haven’t heard about the traffic over there, but I imagine that it gets heavy because it is a popular area

Greater Meharry Area
• (TSU area, Germantown area)
• Very close to school
• Don’t have to drive on the highway
• Close to the Farmer’s Market and Downtown
• Close to Hadley Community Center (which has many free activities like tennis, swimming, fitness classes...)
• Lofts, flats, and houses for rent, but since most of them are not owned by a single person or agency you have to shop word of mouth or good ole Craigslist
• Metro Park apartment complex seems to have a lot of students
• If you have a roommate you can get a really nice house in Germantown for quite cheap
• Germantown has a little village thing going on. There is even a cupcake shop!

Meharry Campus
• I finally got to see the campus housing this week
• Dorthy Brown hall
o Large single room
o Bathroom shared with up to 1 other person
o No real kitchen in the building
o Bed, desk, chair, lamp (possibly other things?) included
o Rent includes internet, water, and electricity
• Royal Towers
o One or two bedroom suites
o Kitchen
o You provide your furniture
o You have your arrange your own internet. I’m not sure about water and electricity
• Houses for rent around campus

Other areas that I do not know much about
• Downtown
• Hillsboro (by the mall)
• Hermitage
• Charlotte Ave.
• Antioch

Safety – Can be an issue in the greater Meharry area and the area right around the campus. So do not sign the lease until you are sure. You can also find out safety and crime information from the local police website.

I hope this is helpful
Alyssa

I wanted to post the Meharry's Match Day video for you guys. It's really inspirational and it's wonderful to hear about experiences at Meharry from people that have been here for 4-7 years!

Here's the link--> mms://media.mmc.edu/video/match_day_09.wmv

Alyssa

Alyssa,

You seem to have done a lot of research with respect to safety. Where did you end up living for the first year? How did the roommate situation work out? Did most people wait until MAPS to coordinate something or what?

Just wondering how I'll throw this together at the last minute...

Especially since most people are coming from all over.

I used aptselector.com and here is the top ten i came up with based on affordability and distance from Meharry:

millenium apt
river villiage apt
river park apt
river front apt
valley ridge apt
hillwood villa
western hills
hillwood point
the fountains
royal arms

:0

I ending up living by myself for first year out in Bellevue at 'Mission Bellevue Ridge' (which doesn't deal with aptselector). It's a nice place but I hate driving so I've wanted to move close for a long time. My only problem is that the person 2 floors down smokes and it's been seeping into my apartment and management ahsn't been able to fix the problem sufficiently. So I'm moving to a house where I don't share a wall with anyone.

Most people coordinate something before. Some wait until they come and living at a hotel or at Fisk University across the street before they get settled. For campus housing, I think it's first come first serve. So if you think you want to live there I'd arrange that as soon as possible

I'm new to SDN, so I'm getting used to the applications.

1. CONGRATS everyone!!! You know we're gonna be the best class right?!
2. I spoke to Ms. Davis in admissions and she said that they were trying to send out more info packets next week...just in case you haven't gotten yours yet (like me)
3. I will probably try to get into the Towers as I don't have a car and class is literally RIGHT there. On that note, i'll be looking for a female roommate-clean, down to earth, fun/funny, and still able to be on that med school grind.
4. Does anyone else think the faculty is going to be hilarious???
5. I can't wait for MAPS!!! I like that they pushed it to the end of June this year.
6. Join the Facebook group if you haven't already: Meharry Medical College - SOM Class of 2013
7. Not to be too intense or anything, BUT I heard this book is a MUST BUY before you get to med school. I heard it's like examkrackers for the USMLE.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-USM...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238680981&sr=1-1

Can't wait to meet you soon!

Hey does anybody know when the white coat ceromony is?

1. CONGRATS everyone!!! You know we're gonna be the best class right?!

4. Does anyone else think the faculty is going to be hilarious???

RIGHT ON!! - Bring on that 100% First time USMLE Steps 1 & 2 Pass Rate for our class!

I absolutely fell in LOVE with the Pediatrician who interviewed me. I probably won't be a Peds Doc, but I am SO looking forward to clinicals with her. She is awesome!

Oh the Happiness! I am flourescing as we speak!

Shetan

My only problem is that the person 2 floors down smokes and it's been seeping into my apartment and management ahsn't been able to fix the problem sufficiently. So I'm moving to a house where I don't share a wall with anyone.

Is there a lot of smoking in Nashville? Yes - I admit it, I haven't spent much time in the South, South East, etc. Smoking is nearly banned where I am, so I don't have much experience with it anymore...

Thanks!

Shetan

I found a couple of cheap places on craigslist but they are mostly 2-3 bedrooms. They are only $550-$700. I would much rather live in a house (I hate apartments). Do you think it would be hard to find a roommate?

Do you think it would be hard to find a roommate?

Not at all - the real question is - will it be hard to find roomates you can live with?!?!?!

The place is FULL of poor singer/songwriters on their way to the top - so what kind of music do you like and how much whacked out practicing of various instruments can you take?

Or you could try the student crowd... how party oriented are we all?

I have a dog - so if someone is looking to share with a quiet, intensely focused female and the love of her life, one white, medium, over friendly, fluffy dog - I'm looking as well!

Congrats again all.
July will be here soon...

A lil acoustic music wont be a bad day after a hard day in class....

I rather live in a house too. Hopefully it wont take more than 2 trips to nashville b4 orientation.

...... Lets make this the best class everr...... Worship of God through service to mankind.

The plans that my roommate and I had fell through (Beware or Corpus Urbana... shady business they run). Anyways, we found a beautiful home that's less than 5 mins from school. It's a large (2100 sq ft) 3 bedroom house and its amazing. It has 2.5 bathrooms. The 2 smaller rooms are equal sized and they are barely smaller than the master room. The kitchen has granite counter tops and it's quite large. There is a patio in the back with a fenced in yard and a porch on the side of the house. The area is mostly young professionals.

We're looking for a girl, non smoker with no pets (sorry, I'm allergic to everything). If you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you my email address so we can correspond, send pictures, etc.

Let me know soon. We want to get our application in quickly.

Alyssa

Is there a lot of smoking in Nashville? Yes - I admit it, I haven't spent much time in the South, South East, etc. Smoking is nearly banned where I am, so I don't have much experience with it anymore...

Thanks!

Shetan

I wouldn't say that there's a lot of smoking. I think there was a recent smoking ban, but it doesn't include shared residences. And I haven't been able to find an apartment complex with a no-smoking policy or no-smoking buildings.

Alyssa

Hey Guys I was wondering, if those of you who were accepted this year to meharry would be able to post your stats in terms of GPA/MCAT/State your from/ and any extracurriculars you had. It would be much appreciated!:)

Can anyone in Nashville tell us what the towers are like? I put in an application but did not have the time to see them during my visit.

Thanks!

Can anyone in Nashville tell us what the towers are like? I put in an application but did not have the time to see them during my visit.

Thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing. All I know is that they have a kitchen with a stove and fridge. Do any current students have any pics of the rooms?

Is anyone still looking for a roommate?I am going to search for housing the first week of June and things would be a lot cheaper split in half!

Hello,
I am postgraduate student from Egypt. I will be in Nashville June the 3rd to have my studies in Meharry medical collage.
I think sharing a place will not be a bad idea if you agree.
you may contact me if you want asking for my personal email

I'm kinda upset now that I didnt at least go to my interview...It wouldve been nice to at least see other Blacks who are interested in medicine and to check out the school...I guess Howard and Morehouse didnt WHOO and I didnt give Meharry a chance! :(

Got an email today, requesting address info to send out more information packets. I guess it's back to stalking the mailman....

Got an email today, requesting address info to send out more information packets. I guess it's back to stalking the mailman....

I wonder what information they are sending out now. I heard orientation/first week we have to dress business casual!

Last edited:
its info on required health insurance @_@

does anyone know the exact date when fin aid gets dispersed?

I heard fin aid doesn't disburse until the first official week of class.

Does anyone know how the dorms look and the policies they have (rules)?

does anyone know the exact date when fin aid gets dispersed?

According to the Banner Secure Web LogIn... Under the Award Payment Schedule Title in the Financial Aid Tab it is showing the Stafford loans to have an expected date of 06/19/2009 and 12/31/2009. I am not seeing the GradPlus loan because I didn't accept it...

BUT!!!! This is probably NOT anywhere near the date you will actually see the money in your account. I went to a wacked school where the money didn't show up until the semester following - MMC will NOT be that bad, but I doubt the loans will disperse on the expected date. This IS government money, after all...

According to that link, the WCC is on August 22nd. First year classes resume on August 10th. Just thought I'd clear that up before rumors start and everyone gets confused and makes plans.

According to that link, the WCC is on August 22nd. First year classes resume on August 10th. Just thought I'd clear that up before rumors start and everyone gets confused and makes plans.

That is totally right... Saturday, August 22 - not Monday, August 10 :(

Apparently, I'm going to need help with my reading skills - so whoever scores really high on that area, I'll be in the tutoring center...

I had to use my trusty ruler and magnifying glass to read that thing. The print is so small on my computer so I had to make sure.:laugh:

Hello,
I am postgraduate student from Egypt. I will be in Nashville June the 3rd to have my studies in Meharry medical collage.
I think sharing a place will not be a bad idea if you agree.
you may contact me if you want asking for my personal email

There's a student in my class from Egypt as well. You guys should link up!

I'm kinda upset now that I didnt at least go to my interview...It wouldve been nice to at least see other Blacks who are interested in medicine and to check out the school...I guess Howard and Morehouse didnt WHOO and I didnt give Meharry a chance! :(

You can still meet other black med students through SNMA events. At the ACP conference there was a reception for African American physicians which was really nice.

Lys

Hey everyonee, i'll be moving into nashville from nyc around the 27th. Anyone still need a female roomate?

You cutting it close like me huh??....planning to move 4rm FL on the 26th

The plans that my roommate and I had fell through (Beware or Corpus Urbana... shady business they run). Anyways, we found a beautiful home that's less than 5 mins from school. It's a large (2100 sq ft) 3 bedroom house and its amazing. It has 2.5 bathrooms. The 2 smaller rooms are equal sized and they are barely smaller than the master room. The kitchen has granite counter tops and it's quite large. There is a patio in the back with a fenced in yard and a porch on the side of the house. The area is mostly young professionals.

We're looking for a girl, non smoker with no pets (sorry, I'm allergic to everything). If you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you my email address so we can correspond, send pictures, etc.

Let me know soon. We want to get our application in quickly.

Alyssa
I am looking into housing in the Fisk/Meharry area and was considering a corpus urbana project. What is about them you find shady so that I know what I am dealing with? Any pertinent ancedotes? Thanks!

what is the curriculum like at Meharry? is it systems based?

are there research opportunities or community outreach opportunities ?