Meharry Medical College Master of Health Science 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pagingdr.K

Reaction score
Hi! I don't know if anyone made a thread for applicants applying for Fall 2022, well I didn't see one, so I decided to create one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I am applying too! I am glad you created this thread, lol. I've been needing someone else to talk to about the program and the application.

Hey, does anyone know if Meharry accepts premed committee (composite) letters for the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying too y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
I am also applying, I have a quick question, is there a way to transfer our information from AADSAS which is the dental school portal directly over to postbaccas? I’ve already completed my application for dental school and I am applying to a few masters programs as a backup. My postbaccas is completely empty can we not transfer the information from our previous application over? That would make things much simpler.

I am also applying, I have a quick question, is there a way to transfer our information from AADSAS which is the dental school portal directly over to postbaccas? I’ve already completed my application for dental school and I am applying to a few masters programs as a backup. My postbaccas is completely empty can we not transfer the information from our previous application over? That would make things much simpler.
Honestly, that is kind of what I did. I used pretty much the same info. from my med-school app. I have heard that is ok for you to do this, but maybe some others will enter in and give their personal opinion as well.

Hey everyone!! I'm glad somebody made this thread lol. I'm a current MHS (premed) student so if y'all have any questions feel free to message me on this thread or private message me!

I'll answer when I can :)

So when I applied for the MHS program, we didn't use postbaccas (Meharry had their own private application portal). However, Ms Mclntosh was able to transfer my LORs and MCAT score to my MHS application from my MD application. I'm sure the same can be done with your dental application...but I would email Ms. Mclntosh to make sure. You would have to send Ms Mclntosh your transcripts again tho.

Her email: [email protected]
The email to send transcripts: [email protected]

Both emails are hers btw. Email the first one ([email protected]) for questions!

Last edited:
I actually sent an email instead
Update : This is the reply I received
“Yes, you can submit the PreMed committee letter as a letter of recommendation. The letter should be described as such in the PostBac Application ("Health Advisory Committee Letter") and should include signatures from committee members.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!! I'm glad somebody made this thread lol. I'm a current MHS (premed) student so if y'all have any questions feel free to message me on this thread or private message me!

Can you give us some insight into the program? Do you like the program and find it helpful? Sorry for the multiple questions lol

Btw, good luck to everyone that has submitted or is planning on submitting! Who in here is pre-med?

Can you give us some insight into the program? Do you like the program and find it helpful? Sorry for the multiple questions lol
No need to apologize! I'm happy to help :)

Our fall classes are Physiology, Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, and Neuroscience
Our spring classes will be Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, and Gross Anatomy
Classes are from 8am to 3pm (on most days). Some days it extends to 5pm and some days it ends at 12pm

We completed our fall classes in mid-November then had from then till mid-January to study for and take the MCAT/DAT.

Honestly...I love the program!! The teachers are sooo supportive and they actually care about your well-being/mental health. They truly want you to succeed in the program and transition into Meharry's medical/dental program. The atmosphere here is very family-like. The admins, students, teachers, etc all support each other and are always happy to help.

In terms of difficulties... it's not a walk in the park but it's VERY doable. A lot of the materials learned are review from undergraduate so they should come back to you quickly. As you study it's vital you learn the materials rather than memorizing because it'll help you soo much on the B/B section of the MCAT (if you have to retake). This program will definitely help you build your work ethic looll

Reactions: 4 users
No need to apologize! I'm happy to help :)

Our fall classes are Physiology, Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, and Neuroscience
Our spring classes will be Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, and Gross Anatomy
Classes are from 8am to 3pm (on most days). Some days it extends to 5pm and some days it ends at 12pm

We completed our fall classes in mid-November then had from then till mid-January to study for and take the MCAT/DAT.

Honestly...I love the program!! The teachers are sooo supportive and they actually care about your well-being/mental health. They truly want you to succeed in the program and transition into Meharry's medical/dental program. The atmosphere here is very family-like. The admins, students, teachers, etc all support each other and are always happy to help.

In terms of difficulties... it's not a walk in the park but it's VERY doable. A lot of the materials learned are review from undergraduate so they should come back to you quickly. As you study it's vital you learn the materials rather than memorizing because it'll help you soo much on the B/B section of the MCAT (if you have to retake). This program will definitely help you build your work ethic looll
I 100% agree with what my colleague said above. If you can, get the MCAT out of the way before the program begins. This would reduce the stress later on in the semester, as you would only need to do well in the courses mentioned in this quote. But don't rush to take it if you are not fully prepared for it because this program will still help you study for it especially in the B/B section and the biochem portions of C/P.

Reactions: 3 users
@Rainbluex1 are there anyone currently in your MHS cohort with a gpa below a 3.0. I saw somewhere that you needed aleast a 3.0 to be accepted. Just wondering how strict that is, i know some people stated is last years forum that students below a 3.0 gpa got in as well.

@Rainbluex1 are there anyone currently in your MHS cohort with a gpa below a 3.0. I saw somewhere that you needed aleast a 3.0 to be accepted. Just wondering how strict that is, i know some people stated is last years forum that students below a 3.0 gpa got in as well.
Unfortunately I don't know that information...but I highly recommend still applying! Meharry looks at all applicants holistically.

Does the program have a minimum MCAT score??
Ummm not really sure but from the previous year for the MHS thread, the cut-off was 484/485 ( don't quote me on it). However, again, they do give a holistic review of your application.

Last edited:
When do applications close? & When is the latest to send scores in for Fall22?

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t see in in Postbaccas, I got to the payment page and don’t see it
Oh dang sorry, I forgot yall have a different application portal than us... You might have to email Ms Mclntosh that photo but I'm not 100% sure. I would call and ask tomorrow

I don’t see in in Postbaccas, I got to the payment page and don’t see it
So I've used postbaccas before, and I see where you are having trouble. On postbaccas, there is no field to upload your photo, so I would try to add it within your CV/Resume document. That way you hit two birds with one stone.

If not, again just send it to Ms. Mclntosh email mentioned above and explain there was no option to upload it on the application service website.

Hope this helps : )

Oh Yeah if y'all are wondering, the first batch of acceptances went out on April 29th for our cohort. So they may do the same for this year unless they delay it to another date due to being swamped with medical and graduate apps since they are a small admission team.

Does anyone know if the school will mark the recommendation request as accepted, or is that the recommenders job to do so?

Does anyone know if the school will mark the recommendation request as accepted, or is that the recommenders job to do so?
The PostBacCas system will send you an email once your recommender submits the recommendation.

Does anyone know how quickly Meharry responds to emails? I emailed "[email protected]" a few days ago regarding the transfer of information (transcripts, rec letters, scores) from my app for the MD program to the masters and haven't heard anything. Should I just call?

Also, for the response to "Describe your background and the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study, and any previous research activity," are they just asking for anything you've done up until now (cliniical experiences/grades/MCAT) and note what was good and bad?

Does anyone know how quickly Meharry responds to emails? I emailed "[email protected]" a few days ago regarding the transfer of information (transcripts, rec letters, scores) from my app for the MD program to the masters and haven't heard anything. Should I just call?

Also, for the response to "Describe your background and the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study, and any previous research activity," are they just asking for anything you've done up until now (cliniical experiences/grades/MCAT) and note what was good and bad?

She may be swamped with emails, so I would try resending that email again. But I'm going to let you know now, She will tell you that you would have to resend your transcripts from your respective school/college. I am not sure about rec letters but I am sure that she would transfer the MCAT score from your MD app. Just include your AMCAS ID w/in the email.

For the second part of your response, "Describe your background" pretty much means where are you from, (Don't answer on here lol), and how has that influenced your journey to undergrad or how would it influence your grad journey?

Now the "what are strengths & weakness of preparation for graduate study", List out 3 strengths and weaknesses. Pick one from each category and write in-depth of how those choices have helped in the past or in the case of weaknesses, what you have done to work on it, how it impacted you, etc. You want to pick something that can be easily worked on/changed. Don't talk about something that would be catastrophic to your application lol.

Let me know if this made any sense. lol

She may be swamped with emails, so I would try resending that email again. But I'm going to let you know now, She will tell you that you would have to resend your transcripts from your respective school/college. I am not sure about rec letters but I am sure that she would transfer the MCAT score from your MD app. Just include your AMCAS ID w/in the email.

For the second part of your response, "Describe your background" pretty much means where are you from, (Don't answer on here lol), and how has that influenced your journey to undergrad or how would it influence your grad journey?

Now the "what are strengths & weakness of preparation for graduate study", List out 3 strengths and weaknesses. Pick one from each category and write in-depth of how those choices have helped in the past or in the case of weaknesses, what you have done to work on it, how it impacted you, etc. You want to pick something that can be easily worked on/changed. Don't talk about something that would be catastrophic to your application lol.

Let me know if this made any sense. lol
Thank you! I'll go ahead and resend the email. :)

Do you know if it's okay to describe your background and for you to talk about your experiences from undergrad till now? So to discuss where you're from/what you've accomplished and how that's influenced your grad journey? Or do you mean I have to talk specifically about how growing up in a certain town and my experiences there and not necessarily where I went to school led me to my grad journey?

Also, does it have to be 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses and in terms of weakness if it includes a low MCAT, is that okay to mention and just talk about what you've learned, how it's improved, etc? Or would that only hurt the app?

Sorry for all the questions lol. Thanks again!!

Thank you! I'll go ahead and resend the email. :)

Do you know if it's okay to describe your background and for you to talk about your experiences from undergrad till now? So to discuss where you're from/what you've accomplished and how that's influenced your grad journey? Or do you mean I have to talk specifically about how growing up in a certain town and my experiences there and not necessarily where I went to school led me to my grad journey?

Also, does it have to be 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses and in terms of weakness if it includes a low MCAT, is that okay to mention and just talk about what you've learned, how it's improved, etc? Or would that only hurt the app?

Sorry for all the questions lol. Thanks again!!
So for me, Ms. McIntosh never replied. It seems the message was sent to someone else and I received a reply from the associate dean Dr. LaMonica Stewart. [email protected]

Is the personal statement different from the statement of purpose? Do we submit the same essay? The prompts are pretty similar so I wasn't sure if this was an overlook or intentional that we write two different statements.
For clarification here are the prompts--
Statement of Purpose: "In the space provided write a detailed and carefully edited statement indicating your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study and your plans for a professional career. Describe your background and the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study, and any previous research activity. If you are presently in a graduate program at another university, explain why you plan to change."
Personal Statement: "How have your experiences contributed to your decision to pursue a career in healthcare?"

umm now I have them next to each other I can see the difference lol, but just out of curiosity did you guys write two different statements?

Is the personal statement different from the statement of purpose? Do we submit the same essay? The prompts are pretty similar so I wasn't sure if this was an overlook or intentional that we write two different statements.
For clarification here are the prompts--
Statement of Purpose: "In the space provided write a detailed and carefully edited statement indicating your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study and your plans for a professional career. Describe your background and the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study, and any previous research activity. If you are presently in a graduate program at another university, explain why you plan to change."
Personal Statement: "How have your experiences contributed to your decision to pursue a career in healthcare?"

umm now I have them next to each other I can see the difference lol, but just out of curiosity did you guys write two different statements?
I wrote separate but similar ones.

Hi there! I do have a few questions to ask that I hope you could kindly answer:

• How soon before the first day of class did you get your acceptance?
  • Are most of the classes online at this time or is in person attendance mandatory?
  • What is the current criteria (MCAT score and GPA) needed to matriculate into Meharry’s med school directly from the MHS program?
  • Did most students within the program have some research background before getting in?

Thank you so much in advance for your reply!

Hi there! I do have a few questions to ask that I hope you could kindly answer:

• How soon before the first day of class did you get your acceptance?
  • Are most of the classes online at this time or is in person attendance mandatory?
  • What is the current criteria (MCAT score and GPA) needed to matriculate into Meharry’s med school directly from the MHS program?
  • Did most students within the program have some research background before getting in?

Thank you so much in advance for your reply!
Hi!!
  • I applied March 22nd and received my acceptance April 29th. First day of class was August 2nd (orientation was last week of July)
  • All of the classes are online at this time
  • In the program you must make atleast a 3.5 cGPA and a 503 MCAT score to matriculate to the medical school.
  • I don't know if most students had a research background...but I honestly don't think that's a requirement tbh

Reactions: 3 users
Hi!!
  • I applied March 22nd and received my acceptance April 29th. First day of class was August 2nd (orientation was last week of July)
  • All of the classes are online at this time
  • In the program you must make atleast a 3.5 cGPA and a 503 MCAT score to matriculate to the medical school.
  • I don't know if most students had a research background...but I honestly don't think that's a requirement tbh
Does the program do interviews for acceptance?