Meharry Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImSoStreesedOut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, i know u may be busy at this moment, but I am trying to decide whether or not I should attend Meharry. Can u please tell me what you like about Nashville and what you like about Meharry. Anything will be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you should read the June 30, 2003 Hartford Courant

A Courant analysis of disciplinary actions against doctors nationwide found, however, that both Howard and Meharry produce troubled doctors more frequently than most other schools - at rates about 10 times greater than the schools with the lowest numbers. The actions ranged from a simple citation to permanent license revocation for a range of misdeeds including medical incompetence, ethical lapses and criminal behavior.

I would probably attend a DO school before Meharry. I've heard nothing but terrible things about them. Their boardscores suck, their facilities suck... it's basically a TTT.

btw, why is Meharry the only school you can be called a racist for dissing?

Members don't see this ad :)
:) The title of this forum clearly stated "Meharry Medical Student." Then I proceeded to ask what those students thought about the school.. So if you don't mind, if you hate Meharry, you probably do not go there... so this forum is not for you...

I'm sure there is another forum where you can bash schools that you are glad you do not attend... but this is clearly not the one.. But thanks for your 2cents...:p

Let me re=phrase...

For those of you who go to Meharry, what do you like about Meharry and what do you like about Nashville?

I would probably attend a DO school before Meharry. I've heard nothing but terrible things about them. Their boardscores suck, their facilities suck... it's basically a TTT.

Actually I have heard the opposite about Meharry. Their board pass rate for 1st time takers is above 90%, which is the national average. Also I have friends who go there who have nothing but good things to say about it.

To the OP, don't listen to these people who are bashing the school. I agree with hucm. I am in the same position as you right now and there is a MMC student on SDN who has been very helpful answering my questions (thanks azyn :) ). I would advise you to give the school a chance. As long as premeds exist, premeds will think that if a school isn't in the top 10, then it isnt worth it. So go with how YOU feel about the school and go with your gut. I am going to make a list of pros and cons of the schools I am looking at and go from there. Meharry has a lot going on, it is way underrated. People have to realize that a school does not make you, as long as you have the determination and drive to succeed, then you will be successful wherever you go. It is all about the experience you want to get out of your med school.
You should check out the class thread at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=356373
Come by and say hello :)
Hope this helps :thumbup:

Hello guys, i know u may be busy at this moment, but I am trying to decide whether or not I should attend Meharry. Can u please tell me what you like about Nashville and what you like about Meharry. Anything will be appreciated. Thanks

Re-ask this question and substitute Howard or or Morehouse or UCLA-Drew into it, and you will get the same response. Why? Because these are schools that predominately accept minorities, and minorities are innately inferior to non-minorities :). [I hoped you noticed my sarcasm]. Anyway the difference between Meharry and many schools is that along with accepting many qualified students, they also take chances on many students. This is great for the student, who eventually becomes a doctor, but many times it can bring down Meharry's stats. What you have to ask yourself is, “What kind of student am I, and how do I plan to perform in medical school?” If the answer is the same for Meharry as well as Hopkins, then you shouldn’t be worried. If you are confident that you are a great student, then you will do well, no matter where you go.

I've heard bad stories about MMC, but I've also heard great stories. I know people how match in family medicine, and those who matched into neurosurgery at yale from MMC. There will always be nay sayers, but you have to evaluate the school and figure out if you will be happy there. If you will be more happy at MMC, and the other school ISN'T giving you money, then I say go.

It's interesting how it is almost always the premeds who easily bash medical schools if they're not amongst the famous top leaguers.

actually a friend of mine just graduated from meharry and is now doing his residency at the Cleveland clinic (one of the top residency spots in the country). i'm sure there are harvard grads who couldnt match into there.

i woudlnt be surprised if meharry students ont he whole are below average. but it also is a place where if you work hard you can do anything as you can from another school.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually I believe he's a med student.

-Howard
-Mercer
-Morehouse
-UCLA-Drew

I'm not from Meharry, so I can't tell you too much about the school. I am somewhat curious, however, if you have any other acceptances in hand. If not, then your decision is relatively simple. If you do, then things become more complicated.

Rankings pretty much don't matter. Medical school is, generally speaking, medical school. However, if during your interview, you got a bad vibe from the school, if you don't feel that the school's curriculum is not going to meet your needs, if you hate the schools location, if you have a better financial aid package from another school, etc., then you should think about attending another school, assuming you have other options. What I'm trying to say is, don't listen to what others are saying around here about Meharry being a bad school-- there are very few, if any, "bad" US schools, it is usually the students who are lacking.

If you're wondering about what the area is like get online and see what Nashville has to offer you. Talk to the schools administration and see if they can give you the emails of current students so you can talk to them about the school and see if you can get a better feel for it-- what do they like about the school. What don't they like about the school? Where else where they accepted? Why did they choose Meharry? Also, if you live nearby or can afford a plane ticket, maybe you should arrange a second look.

Okay, I guess I'm done babbling on here. Just make sure that you don't start medical school with a bad attitude about your school. Chances are 10 to 1 that everything you're hearing on this board are pure rumor. So if you do attend Meharry keep focused, study hard, and enjoy yourself as much as possible. As far as I can tell, there is plenty to do in Nashville.

Reactions: 1 user