Meharry News? Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sepaul

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I interviewed on the 18th of Feb and called in to hear that they are sent out letters on the 14th or 15th.

Anyone have any more news on this? Also, people who interviewed around that dat, have you heard back? If so what is your status (rej, acc, wait)?

thx,
se

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 25th of Feburary, and I have yet to hear anything back. They said it would take 3-4 weeks and i am on my third week so I hope to hear soon.

me interviewed sometime early january... got a waitlist letter a month later... pretty much what i expected since im not a minority

Members don't see this ad :)
how many desis go to meharry?

Hi all,

I interviewed in late Feb. as well, and have not heard anything. Meharry is a great school, and I'm anxious to know if their feelings are reciprocated :)

All the best to those of you who are still waiting :luck:

pakidoc said:
me interviewed sometime early january... got a waitlist letter a month later... pretty much what i expected since im not a minority

....That's funny, I would assume that it was because you don't have a 4.0 GPA and a 40 on the MCAT...

sepaul said:
Hey,

I interviewed on the 18th of Feb and called in to hear that they are sent out letters on the 14th or 15th.

Anyone have any more news on this? Also, people who interviewed around that dat, have you heard back? If so what is your status (rej, acc, wait)?

thx,
se

:confused: So, what the interview dates apply to the March 14th/15th decisions? Who did you speak to get these dates?

Sepaul, I've sent you a PM :)

OH GOD!! i didnt mean to spark a debate on race here!
its just one of the possible factors!!! albeit a big one...

vivek: when i was there i met about 5 desis in the first year class, so there are some

pakidoc said:

vivek: when i was there i met about 5 desis in the first year class, so there are some

Hey there pakidoc, no hard feelings, k? I personally took your comment to mean something other than what you intended it to be...I'll delete my last post so as to keep this thread in a positive light. My apologies to you :)

docjolly said:
Hey there pakidoc, no hard feelings, k? I personally took your comment to mean something other than what you intended it to be...I'll delete my last post so as to keep this thread in a positive light. My apologies to you :)

Hey no problemo... I hope you get admission!! :)

It is a great school no doubt. I was impressed by the facilities they had and the students and profs i met seemed really enthusiastic. Furthermore, If i remember correctly, they had some uslme toppers at their school.

I got into my 1st choice, so im not waiting on meharry.

pakidoc said:

Pakidoc,

What is a desis?
Thanks!

desi is a term used by south asians to describe themselves. indians, pakistanis, sri lankans, bangladeshis...

pakidoc said:
desi is a term used by south asians to describe themselves. indians, pakistanis, sri lankans, bangladeshis...

Thanks Pakidoc! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping that the letters they sent out also apply to those who interviewed on Feb. 25th :rolleyes: . Maybe I will call tomm. to find out or anyone else who knows please chime in. :D

futrorthodr said:
I am hoping that the letters they sent out also apply to those who interviewed on Feb. 25th :rolleyes: . Maybe I will call tomm. to find out or anyone else who knows please chime in. :D

Mrs. Fischer is at the fron desk and Mrs. Davis is downstairs as today is some Match day something-or-rather.

She said she would call back, but, it sounds like they are busy today. Let's keep calling until we have news. Somebody else call or will call today?
-se

Hey I was wondering if anyone had heard anything back yet from Meharry. Patience is a virtue, but the waiting is turning into torture :D .

I called yesterday to find out if letters were sent. However, the person I spoke with forwarded me to Ms. Davis's telephone answering machine, where no one picked up. I left a message for someone to get back to me, but I haven't gotten anything.

Patience, indeed, is a virtue. All I can do is continue to pray...

Hey futrorthodr, I'm happy that we met during the interview. Now, I can put a name to a face :)

Hey all,

I just spoke with Mr. Mosley (or is it, Moseley?). Anyway, he informed me that they won't really start taking people off the waiting list until they're done interviewing, which will be around the first week of MAY (can you believe that???)

But yeah, I've been on the w.list since late November. Good luck to all those still waiting!

btw, if you were really interested in going to Meharry, I would send them a LOI...I've heard it works well (but obviously, only send it it meharry is your first choice)

Good luck!

vivek311r said:
Hey all,

I just spoke with Mr. Mosley (or is it, Moseley?). Anyway, he informed me that they won't really start taking people off the waiting list until they're done interviewing, which will be around the first week of MAY (can you believe that???)

But yeah, I've been on the w.list since late November. Good luck to all those still waiting!

btw, if you were really interested in going to Meharry, I would send them a LOI...I've heard it works well (but obviously, only send it it meharry is your first choice)

Good luck!

hey guys-

I got put on the 'acceptance range' mid-january. when I talked to Mr. Mosley around February, he told me that they had already given out 40 acceptances thus far. We also have to remember that there are 20 students from the post-bac program matriculating Fall 2004. Which leaves 20, I guess, open spots. That was mid Febuary so I dont know what has happened thus far. Does anyone know of people put into the 'acceptance range' and been accepted already?? Just curious b/c Mr. Mosley said anyone can be reviewed again who's in the 'range' and be accepted at anytime.

gmigs

It's like that Blues Travler song... "why you wanna give me the run around...."

Anyway, I have joined you all to burn on the range until they cherry pick all the perfect candidates.

I think chances are pretty bleak personally for me. I wonder how many of us they reject, accept waitlist and hold? what is this all about?

LOI, smell-do-I, this stinks...
-se

PS: Damn I am a negative nancy today

i don't believe Morehouse or Meharry are in the business of
choosing "perfect candidates". (whatever that is)
the only people i know who have
already been accepted to these schools are BLACK MEN.
since they are a rare commodity in medicine to begin with
and if they have the credentials to get into either school
will probably be accepted into any school they apply to.
they were most likely quickly recruited and offered acceptances to M & M.

...just thinking with my head and not my heart :)

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I received a letter in the mail from Meharry today. Unfortunately I got placed in the acceptance range, and now have to continue to wait. Will the waiting ever end??

futrorthodr said:
Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I received a letter in the mail from Meharry today. Unfortunately I got placed in the acceptance range, and now have to continue to wait. Will the waiting ever end??

Hey there futrorthodr, I'm so sorry :( Have you gained acceptances from any other medical school? Will you be going to one of them? Or will you try to get off of Meharry's acceptance range?

On this end, I haven't received anything :) You and I interviewed on the same day, and so I was almost certain that I would have received something from them today, as well. What state are you in (if you don't mind sharing)?

Hey I am in Tenn just down the street from Meharry so that is probably why i got it so quick. The letter was postmarked the 17th. I have now added Meharry to my list of 4 waitlists. I however have also heard that quite a few people get placed in the acceptance range before getting an acceptance. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Do you remember the different options that Dr. Moseley said our app. could be placed in post interview??

futrorthodr said:
Hey I am in Tenn just down the street from Meharry so that is probably why i got it so quick. The letter was postmarked the 17th. I have now added Meharry to my list of 4 waitlists. I however have also heard that quite a few people get placed in the acceptance range before getting an acceptance. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Do you remember the different options that Dr. Moseley said our app. could be placed in post interview??

Hey futrorthodr,

Aside from the acceptance range/waitlist/rejection options, I'm uncertain as to what other options may be available. Perhaps it would be best to contact Mr. Mosley directly about this? :confused:

I am just confused at to what the acceptance range truly means? Is is the nice way of saying waitlist or is it something everyone gets placed in before being accepted? In searching old posts regarding Meharry I could not find one person who was outright accepted, but I found many who got the acceptance range letter, and then got an acceptance a few weeks later. :confused:

Oh by the way good luck and let me know if things turn out well for you :D

Also if anyone has received an immediate acceptance without first being put in the acceptance range please let me know :)

hi there,

I just checked the "Meharry Interviews in February" thread, and a poster by the name of Curiosity32 received an acceptance within 2 weeks after being interviewed last year when he applied.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=110472&highlight=Meharry

Also, it appears that I made a tiny error :p There is no such thing as a wait list, as far as I can see. It's either: acceptance/acceptance range (similar to a waitlist)/rejection.

Yeah I saw that too but he is the only one out another person. I believe GR42 said he got an acceptance and then was asked if he was put in acceptance range first and he/she said yeah??

Look at some of the old Meharry threads about acceptance range it confused the hell out of me :laugh:

futrorthodr said:
Yeah I saw that too but he is the only one out another person. I believe GR42 said he got an acceptance and then was asked if he was put in acceptance range first and he/she said yeah??

Look at some of the old Meharry threads about acceptance range it confused the hell out of me :laugh:

I completely empathize with you :) The only poster who currently attends Meharry and frequently comes on SDN is my good friend, divinemsm (I think you'll see that she made several posts on the link I attached). She actually came out during my interview day to say hello. She's awesome :love: :love:

Anyhow, she's been very informative, and I'm going to send her a PM to see if she can give some clarification on the "acceptance range" dilemma :)

Yeah I guess it doesnt help to worry about it, and just let the cards fall where they may. I really did like Meharry and a couple of my good friends currently attend.

All you have to do is get in doc jolly and my theory goes straight out the window :thumbup: :luck:

futrorthodr said:
All you have to do is get in doc jolly and my theory goes straight out the window :thumbup: :luck:

:laugh: Well, thanks for the good wishes. I'm really trusting God for all of this. Acceptance, acceptance range, or rejection, I'm still going to medical school :) When I receive the letter, I'll let you know :)

Docjolly,

Hey I was just checking to see if you had gotten any good news from Meharry today??

Regarding our discussion about the acceptance range I think that it is possible to be immediately accepted, but it seems to me that most students are placed in the acceptance range first. I talked to 5 students that currently attend and 4/5 first got the acceptance range letter, and the other couldnt remember so I guess all hope is not lost.

futrorthodr said:
Docjolly,

Hey I was just checking to see if you had gotten any good news from Meharry today??

Regarding our discussion about the acceptance range I think that it is possible to be immediately accepted, but it seems to me that most students are placed in the acceptance range first. I talked to 5 students that currently attend and 4/5 first got the acceptance range letter, and the other couldnt remember so I guess all hope is not lost.

Hey futrorthodr, I checked my mail, but the mailbox is empty :( If/When I receive something, I'll let you know :)

Okay, so I just ran to my mailbox, and received the letter from Meharry. I have been placed and ranked within the Acceptance Range. I'm happy about this because, thank God, it's not an outright rejection :D Nevertheless, I will send a letter of interest to Meharry ASAP. I really liked Nashville and the school, and I would be very happy to go there :love:

I wish all the best to those of you who are waiting to get off of the acceptance range, and even to those of you who haven't heard anything...May God's blessings and peace be with you :)

Congrats docjolly :thumbup: We are both in the same boat right now! I guess that does give more weight to my theory that almost everyone is placed on the acceptance range list first :cool:

What really through me off about the letter is that it states " I am pleased to inform you that you have been ranked within the acceptance range, and now your app is going through the FINAL STAGES of the review process"

futrorthodr said:
Congrats docjolly :thumbup: We are both in the same boat right now! I guess that does give more weight to my theory that almost everyone is placed on the acceptance range list first :cool:

Well, now I completely agree with you. As LoveDoc pointed out to me during one of our conversations, it would not make sense for such a small school to offer acceptances outright to anyone, especially knowing that Meharry seems to be a "fall back" school for many applicants (This, of course, is NOT the case for me :) ). It would be both a waste of time and energy. They want the truly interested students (those who will send in fall grades, send letters of intent, contact them incessantly, show amazing interest in their school) to step forward and prove how badly they want to attend Meharry. I think this is very interesting, and it makes me want to go to Meharry all the more :love:

futrorthodr said:
What really through me off about the letter is that it states " I am pleased to inform you that you have been ranked within the acceptance range, and now your app is going through the FINAL STAGES of the review process"

Well, I think they mention this because, perhaps at some later point, they will review, once again, most/all applications placed within the acceptance range to determine who will finally receive an acceptance, and who will not..

I have no complaints. I think it's time for me to step up to the plate and show them how much I'd like to go there :cool:

Well lets hope that we see each other there next year!!!

futrorthodr said:
Well lets hope that we see each other there next year!!!

That would be nice :D I wish you the best of luck with everything :clap:

docjolly said:
That would be nice :D I wish you the best of luck with everything :clap:

i see great things!!!! you are first on my prayer list tomorrow morning. :thumbup:

As a reapplicant, I just wanted to say that you guys are doing my heart good! Can I join??? I interviewed in November and I've been on the acceptance range since December. I too am waiting. Here's hoping that all of us get in! Lovedoc, add me to that prayer list!!

mrsmac

you have been added mrsmac...i'm so excited for everyone.
i can't wait to hear you all come in this thread and tell us once
you are part of the Meharry family...prayer works! :love:

I'm still waiting for an interview, are they still interviewing?

Hello,

Another cali applicant. I was just wondering, for you meharry sdn addicts, who interviewed you? I guess I can begin and say Dr. Neal and Dr. Ray interviewed me. By the way I hope all of you get in, but I better be standing right next to you. Hasta!

It seems to me that most of you are very concerned about what the acceptance range means(which is understandable). Let me tell you that I have yet to meet anyone in my class that was accepted right of the bat w/o being put in the acceptance range first. If you are in the acceptance range you are in good position. Acceptances are offered until the day school starts. I say that because I know A few of my classmates that were notified by phone a few days after school had already started because some other people had decided to either attend another school or don't go to med school.
Anyway, I wish you all good luck and don't loose your hopes!

Even though Mr. Moseley said they had given out 40 acceptances he also stated that each yr they usually give out from a 100-150 acceptances to fill the class. So in other words do NOT trip and lets God do his thing.

-P.S. I'm hot. :smuggrin:

BeBlessedMD said:
Even though Mr. Moseley said they had given out 40 acceptances he also stated that each yr they usually give out from a 100-150 acceptances to fill the class. So in other words do NOT trip and lets God do his thing.

-P.S. I'm hot. :smuggrin:

hey beblessed, how are you doing? have you received an acceptance from Meharry? This entire process is in God's hands, and I'm using it as an opportunity to extend both my prayer life and faithfulness. He really will work it out :D

I too am a waitlist victim. I propose that when we get into this school we have a waitlist party. No people that got accepted right off the bat are allowed to come. By the way it sounds it will only be a couple people anyways so its all good :eek: . I wonder though if you are being considered as a post-bacc program candidate if we will/ would have been disclosed so or not or if they too are included in this "range". If anyone knows please do respond.