Meharry News? Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BeBlessedMD said:
I too am a waitlist victim. I propose that when we get into this school we have a waitlist party. No people that got accepted right off the bat are allowed to come. By the way it sounds it will only be a couple people anyways so its all good :eek: . I wonder though if you are being considered as a post-bacc program candidate if we will/ would have been disclosed so or not or if they too are included in this "range". If anyone knows please do respond.

Hey there Beblessed, I'm sending you a private message :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm a new member of the "acceptance range" club so I guess I will be one of those attendees at the party when we get to Meharry. :) Just got my letter today. If anyone hears further good news, can you please post? Or I guess we all have to wait until they're done interviewing all applicants in May (as mentioned in one of the posts).

:clap: I received my acceptance letter to Meharry today after being in the acceptance range for about a month. :D

:luck: GOOD LUCK to everyone, and I hope to see you there next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc Jolly,

Have you heard anything from Meharry since being placed in the acceptance range??

:thumbup: Congrats futrorthodr! With everyone else on this thread on the acceptance range, WE hope to see you there...

pakidoc said:
me interviewed sometime early january... got a waitlist letter a month later... pretty much what i expected since im not a minority

Are you sure that's the reason or are you saying that to make yourself feel better?

futrorthodr said:
:clap: I received my acceptance letter to Meharry today after being in the acceptance range for about a month. :D

:luck: GOOD LUCK to everyone, and I hope to see you there next year!

Well done! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: You give me hope that this waitlist is actually moving.

mrsmac

BeBlessedMD said:
I too am a waitlist victim. I propose that when we get into this school we have a waitlist party. No people that got accepted right off the bat are allowed to come. By the way it sounds it will only be a couple people anyways so its all good :eek: . I wonder though if you are being considered as a post-bacc program candidate if we will/ would have been disclosed so or not or if they too are included in this "range". If anyone knows please do respond.

Hey BeBlessedMD,

You will have to excuse me if my post looks funny. I don't post too often but I read like everyday. Quick question. Do you or anyone know if Meharry is still interviewing? I spoke to Ms. Davis and she said yes, but they are winding down. Last month I got a letter putting my application in the hold category for an interview, but was told that I wa being considered for the post bac program and they will let me know in May. Do I still have a shot for an interview or should I be focusing on the latter. Any thoughts or suggestions would be gladly appreciated. Oh yeah, for all those who got interviews, that is fantastic. I wish that I could have the opportunity. I will be praying for you to get those acceptances. Just claim it.

Take Care

This is kind of a gray area it seems like. From what I've read on here and have gathered from both Ms. Davis and Mr Mosley is that, and in my words, anyone is game for the post-bacc program (both interviewed and not interviewed). Obviously, I would think atleast, you would have a better chance at the post-bacc program if you have interviewed but I'm not staff at Meharry. As far as the interview goes they said during my visit that they interview until the end of may and unless my calendar is different from Meharry's were still in April. I was informed of my March 3rd interview on Feb 14th so you could def be still in the hunt for an interview. I have just recently interviewed w/ both UCLA and UCSD post-bacc programs and most likely will hear from them before meharry. My plan of attack is to accept one of those programs until i get a definite answer from Meharry. Perhaps it would be wise for you to make a plan B if have not already. I wish the best of God's blessings to you (as i do for myself also...hehe)....and I'm sure it will all work out for you.

P.S. Stay proactive...God meets us half way:)
P.s.s. thats the sound a snake makes :D

I mean did everyone get accepted on this thread. Is that why there is no more deliberations? I sure as heck havent....its gettin closer to may 15th though. The count down begins.....

BeBlessedMD said:
I mean did everyone get accepted on this thread. Is that why there is no more deliberations? I sure as heck havent....its gettin closer to may 15th though. The count down begins.....

I haven't heard anything either and I interviewed in November. I'll just keep waiting and praying, or perhaps praying and waiting :) May is right around the corner, but I guess realistically we wouldn't hear much until the first of June.

mrsmac

BeBlessedMD said:

Hey everyone they said that for april 4 week interviews we should be getting letters today. Not sure what that means but if I get in I am definitely pulling out to make room for others who have not heard from other schools who really want to go to Meharry same if i get wait listed. Trust me I know what thats like. Everyone should keep their heads up and continue to believe. If you are a christian remember that faith can move mountains. I am really rooting for everyone.

mrsmac said:
I haven't heard anything either and I interviewed in November. I'll just keep waiting and praying, or perhaps praying and waiting :) May is right around the corner, but I guess realistically we wouldn't hear much until the first of June.

mrsmac

Please hunt down mr mosely. I hope you harrased them every week before now! If not start calling everyday. I know it worked for me for where I am going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone who interviewed in April should run out and check their mailboxes (if you haven't already...) I interviewed on April 8th and got my "acceptance range" letter today. I guess they were serious when they said that we would hear in 3 weeks.
I'm still not too clear on how the range works (does everyone who's accepted go into the range first or is it all waitlist?) but I sure am glad to be there! :)

deecee said:
Everyone who interviewed in April should run out and check their mailboxes (if you haven't already...) I interviewed on April 8th and got my "acceptance range" letter today. I guess they were serious when they said that we would hear in 3 weeks.
I'm still not too clear on how the range works (does everyone who's accepted go into the range first or is it all waitlist?) but I sure am glad to be there! :)

Sorry to kill the glamour of their acceptance range, but it just a nice way of saying waitlist. However, from my understanding, many people who matriculate into the class are from the acceptance range. Be nice to know where we were ranked, but then again it woulda been nice to have been accepted straight out. :smuggrin:

Hey guys, I've been on the waiting list at MMC since late November. I've spoken with Mr.Moseley and from what I can tell, they're going to START looking at wait listed people this week.

Good luck!

vivek311r said:
Hey guys, I've been on the waiting list at MMC since late November. I've spoken with Mr.Moseley and from what I can tell, they're going to START looking at wait listed people this week.

Good luck!

Hey vivek, I snooped around and read some of your other posts where you said you would rather attend VCOM than Meharry. So i guess my question is are you reconsidering and would take an acceptance from Meharry? :smuggrin:

Hmmm...that's kind of stalkerish on your part, but yeah, right now I have an acceptance to VCOM. If I got into Meharry I would seriously consider it, though. I'm kind of torn on which one I would take...VCOM has better facilities, but Meharry is in a city...and Meharry has a ever ever ever so slight of an advantage in that its allopathic...but again, that's an EXTREMELY slight advantage...who knows which one I would pick!

nne97080 said:
Please hunt down mr mosely. I hope you harrased them every week before now! If not start calling everyday. I know it worked for me for where I am going.

Thanks for the advice. But after 3 update letters (to Mr. Mosely and Ms Davis), and calls/email to Ms. Davis (who probably considers me a member of her family by now) I believe I've done all I can. So really, I'm just waiting like all everyone else.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but someone mentioned starting a "Acceptance Range" club at Meharry. :laugh: Might be a good idea when we all get accepted!! I'd love to put faces to all the determined posts I've read here.

mrsmac

BeBlessedMD said:
Sorry to kill the glamour of their acceptance range, but it just a nice way of saying waitlist. However, from my understanding, many people who matriculate into the class are from the acceptance range. Be nice to know where we were ranked, but then again it woulda been nice to have been accepted straight out. :smuggrin:

Yeah agree. I think at the april interview they did say that most of us would be on the acceptance range pool (mostly i think because of the time of our interview) if I remember correctly that only a few students get out right acceptance to meharry according to Mr. Mosely and i am sure those were early interview people.

Talked with MS. Davis Again, and like some of the above posts have mentioned....the following weeks are BIG TIME for us acceptance rangers. God Bless and God speed (for meharry).

:smuggrin: ...This face is soooo me.

Hey guys,

I'm always praying for us on this thread, so I figured why not let you know what I pray :)

Hope no one is offended with this.. (if so, too bad :) )

Dear God,

Bless all of us on this thread who have the sincere desire to attend this school. Give us peace, and grant our applications favor with the Admissions Committee. May we take no acceptance for granted, and may we know that all we do and achieve is because of You. Thank You for Your faithfulness to us, even when we lost faith in ourselves and the Admissions Committee. We will wait patiently for Your hand to move and for Your Will in our lives to be revealed. With a grateful heart I pray.

Amen

mrsmac

Has anybody here received any information about financial aid for next year??

futrorthodr said:
Has anybody here received any information about financial aid for next year??

i haven't...i would like it if they sent something soon since they start in like a month and a half :eek:

Trident,

You and I were thinking the same thing. When are we going to get the available loan money?? I would like to have a place to live and be able to pay tuition by the time I start school. Can you believe that school starts so soon, I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand I am excited to begin my medical career but on the other I am somewhat jealous that other schools dont start till mid to late August :( :D

i know what you mean, futrorthodr. we're totally getting jipped out of a summer. but i think usf starts at the end of may, so maybe we should consider ourselves lucky...and of course, as you mentioned, we get to begin this great journey and that's definitely something to look forward to.
as far as the apartment goes, one student i contacted said students live all over and we're pretty much on our own to find something (besides Meharry Towers) and so i'm just getting something in line now and hopefully loan/grant money will be coming shortly so that pesky tuition can get paid :confused:

...i'm guessing after may 15, when the class is more clearly defined, a lot of info will be coming at us

Have you filled out the meharry financial aid application? I called their financial aid dept. today and the lady told me that she just sent me that form to fill out today, although I dont think it has anything to do with the government loans we can receive. Also she said that people are just now being approved for financial aid packages so hopefully we should hear something soon.

If the loans dont come through what do you plan to do about furnishing your apt, paying rent, and all the other expenses we will have?? Its kinda hard to lease an apartment when you dont have or dont know when the money will be coming in to make the payments :laugh:

Also a couple of my good friends that attend Meharry have bought houses in the near vicinity, but I think I would prefer to rent, because if for some reason the house happens to need a new roof, air conditioner etc, I wouldnt have the 10 grand to pay for it and I dont want Murphy living in my spare bedroom :rolleyes:

i sent in their finaid app about a week and a half ago, so it hasn't been too long. i guess i'll wait a little while longer before giving them a call.
as far as the loans, i'm just operating under the assumption that they'll come through without a hitch :luck: i took out several for undergrad and they went through pretty quickly so i guess we'll see what happens.

i agree with not buying a house right now. maybe after learning more about nashville and what locations are good and all that, it will be something to consider. right now, there's enough to worry about.

Trident said:
i sent in their finaid app about a week and a half ago, so it hasn't been too long. i guess i'll wait a little while longer before giving them a call.
as far as the loans, i'm just operating under the assumption that they'll come through without a hitch :luck: i took out several for undergrad and they went through pretty quickly so i guess we'll see what happens.

i agree with not buying a house right now. maybe after learning more about nashville and what locations are good and all that, it will be something to consider. right now, there's enough to worry about.

Did you receive their financial aid app. in the mail or did you contact them? I would think that they would of sent them out all at the same time.

after submitting the fafsa sometime in march, i called and asked what else i needed to do. i was told that they would be sending their form out to accepted applicants on april 4th. (i think they actually ended up going out on the 7th)

Ok thanks, maybe the reason why I havent received my form yet is because I wasnt accepted till April 16th :D

To all those in the acceptance range keep your head up as it is about the time for the list to start moving, and please post any good news hear. We also cant forget about the party for those who were pulled from the acceptance range.
GOOD LUCK :luck: :thumbup:

so when exactly does school start at Meharry? Is this actually the start of first year or a summer program?

eag said:
so when exactly does school start at Meharry? Is this actually the start of first year or a summer program?

I was told at the interview that school starts around June 20. This is for everyone (I hope I'm not mistaken).

I am on their acceptance range as well.

I believe everyone starts the MAPS program on June 20th. A couple of years ago it was optional but now I believe they have made it mandatory.

Trident,

Hey I got my finan aid app today. I have a couple questions you may be able to answer. First how did you go about choosing a lender, and also it says that the max for stafford loans including sub and unsub. is 38k . Do you think that will be enough and if not where do we go to get other loans?? I am an newbie to this financial aid. :p

Just wondering if anyone knows approximately how many students Meharry typically interviews for a class of 80 and how many people are in the acceptance range. Thanks.

Tabi04 said:
Just wondering if anyone knows approximately how many students Meharry typically interviews for a class of 80 and how many people are in the acceptance range. Thanks.

I was told they interview around 300 (I could be wrong, but I think that's what I remember at the interview). I think of the 80 in coming students, 20 are reserved for their post-bac students. So they really have slot for 60.

I don't know how many they put on acceptance range. I don't even know if they reject anyone after interview, it seems people either get accepted or put on the acceptance range.

may 15 (give or take a couple of day) is a very important date for medical school admission especially for Meharry. On this date, accepted candidate can not reserve more than one seat of all US medical school. Traditionally, at Meharry, there would be around 10-15 spots open around that time. Please lobby intensively during this period if you would like to be bump off the wait list (acceptance range waitlist).
Take care and good luck to all.

Wow this post brings back great memories. There is one thing I do want to clarify though. Candidates who are interviewed are not considered for the post bacc, I found that out the hard way last year. I was hoping so bad to get into Meharry, but it was a no go. Thank God UCSD took me. Good luck Meharry is a great place and I hope you get in. May 15th is coming up soon.

Hey fellow acceptance rangers,

Have any of you begun to look into housing prospects near Meharry or the surrounding area? Without a financial aid packet, it's going to be a little difficult to determine my rent, but I'd a least like to know the general areas where other students live. I'd heard about Murfreesboro, but it seems kind of far. (Can we say gas$$$). I figure I'd preoccupy myself with something while waiting to hear from them. Any help would be appreciated. This could be of use to all of us if we hear something in the next few weeks.

mrsmac

Hey mrsmac,

I live in Nashville, and I am going to start looking around town for some decent apartments in a couple days. A few of my friends have houses a couple blocks from where the school is, and a few others rent apartments but there arent that many available in the very near vicinity. The area right around the school isnt the best in Nashvillhe either, but I am down there all the time with my friends that attend Meharry and my girlfriend so I am used to it by now. However if you like walking your dog at night I wouldnt recommend staying to close to some of the housing projects unless you dont mind being solicited for prostituition and drugs on a consistent basis :laugh:

Oh and I would not recommend living in Murfreesboro that would be quite a drive to get to class in the morning.

futrorthodr said:
Hey mrsmac,

However if you like walking your dog at night I wouldnt recommend staying to close to some of the housing projects unless you dont mind being solicited for prostituition and drugs on a consistent basis :laugh:

If I didn't go to undergrad in downtown ATL, I'd be offended by that statement :laugh: :laugh: I know all about the solicitations :D In fact, when I interviewed there, I felt like I was back in undergrad.

Okay, yeah, I thought that was a little far. I'm thinking a 15-20 minute drive should be enough. And renting a house would be too much responsibility (I think) while trying to get the first year under my belt. So, what areas would you suggest?

Oh, congrats again on the acceptance-I'm not hatin'-yet!

mrsmac

mrsmac said:
If I didn't go to undergrad in downtown ATL, I'd be offended by that statement :laugh: :laugh: I know all about the solicitations :D In fact, when I interviewed there, I felt like I was back in undergrad.

Okay, yeah, I thought that was a little far. I'm thinking a 15-20 minute drive should be enough. And renting a house would be too much responsibility (I think) while trying to get the first year under my belt. So, what areas would you suggest?

Oh, congrats again on the acceptance-I'm not hatin'-yet!

mrsmac

I am also on the acceptance range/wait list. I live in Bellevue, just 10 miles from Meharry. It is a nice place, some areas are expensive, but you can find an apartment to fit you and your budget I am pretty sure. If you had a roommate, it would be ideal. Best of luck to you!

I hope I didnt offend anyone, but seriously even when I am just driving my car down there the prostitues have attempted to flag me down :oops: .

But yeah bellvue is a pretty good place to live there are also some apartments off of West end just outside of the city.