Meharry News? Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey 1path and JamaicanMD, thank you! thank you!!, thank you!!! This process has been so difficult for me, but it was all worth it. Every tear I shed, every sleepless night I tossed and turned, every dollar spent that was needed elsewhere, I don't regret anything. It was the Lord who got me into medical school...It was Him, and Him alone. Bless Him!

I'm so very very happy right now!!!! I've been crying on the train and singing God's praises all day since yesterday. It's so funny, how others looked at me and wonder what's wrong with me. Oh, but they dont' know what God has done for...They really don't know :D

Members don't see this ad.

docjolly said:
It was the Lord who got me into medical school...It was Him, and Him alone.

Sometimes, God has to remind us that through HIM and HIS will, all things are possible. He gives us time to put forth our best effort and do all that we can do, and sometimes, He leaves us hanging. . .for a season.

I think He does that so there will be NO DOUBT in our mind that something was done by His grace, not by our might.

futrorthodr said:
Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I received a letter in the mail from Meharry today. Unfortunately I got placed in the acceptance range, and now have to continue to wait. Will the waiting ever end??

if you don't mind me asking. what were your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
docjolly said:
hey 1path and JamaicanMD, thank you! thank you!!, thank you!!! This process has been so difficult for me, but it was all worth it. Every tear I shed, every sleepless night I tossed and turned, every dollar spent that was needed elsewhere, I don't regret anything. It was the Lord who got me into medical school...It was Him, and Him alone. Bless Him!

I'm so very very happy right now!!!! I've been crying on the train and singing God's praises all day since yesterday. It's so funny, how others looked at me and wonder what's wrong with me. Oh, but they dont' know what God has done for...They really don't know :D

Congratulations, docjolly! Your passion is inspiring.

futrorthodr said:
Well I was considering staying in an apartment right by Meharry but that changed last night! I was at my friends house who is about to enter his third year at Meharry. He stays in a house less than a 5 minute walk from Meharry. So anyways he I and a bunch of other Meharrians were watching tv when his doorbell rings at about 11 pm. It was a girl who tells us that my back passenger window was smashed and she saw someone hop out the window. So anyways he basically ransacked my car and stole about 30 cds :mad:.

So I have now decided to live out closer to bellevue off of I-40 west. It is about 8 miles from Meharry and costs in the mid 700's for a 2 bedroom. The commute could take up to 30 minutes though depending on traffic especially when it is raining. :rolleyes:

:mad: Hey there futr,

I'm so sorry to hear about that :mad: :mad: Was there any severe damage to your car? I hope that there wasn't.

Ok, so maybe you can help me a little. Unfortunately, as a New Yorker, I don't have a car. I'm not certain how reliable public transportation is in Nashville (I'm having a sinking feeling that it isn't :scared: ). This means that, wherever I live, it must be within walking distance of Meharry (I don't mind a 15-20 minute walk). Do you know who I can contact to find out about housing? Does Meharry offer any local realtors for students to go to? Also, would it be necessary for me to fly down to Meharry to find housing? I feel somewhat confused about what to do :confused: :confused:

In all of my screaming on the phone while talking to Mr. Mosley, I forgot to ask about housing.

Also, did they send you their financial aid form via mail? By the time I finished speaking to Mr. Mosley yesterday, it was well after 5pm, and the Financial Aid office was closed :(

Docjolly,

Well to start off public transportation in Nashville sucks. As far as housing within walking distance you may want to consider the Meharry towers which is right on campus. I think a 1 bedroom is $519 and a two bedroom is $613 a month. There are also the Herman street Apt which are 4 blocks from campus. A 1 BR is $336 and a 2 BR is $371. I am not sure how the area is there but I doubt it is that great. You may also want to try the website www.aptselector.com or www.apartmentguide.com.

I believe the # for the Meharry Properties is 615 320-5791, and Ms. Charlene Goldthreate is the Manager. Most of this is all from the information Meharry sent me.

Also personally I would make the trip down here to check everything out before agreeingto any residence.

Hope I could be of some help!

futrorthodr said:
Docjolly,

Well to start off public transportation in Nashville sucks. As far as housing within walking distance you may want to consider the Meharry towers which is right on campus. I think a 1 bedroom is $519 and a two bedroom is $613 a month. There are also the Herman street Apt which are 4 blocks from campus. A 1 BR is $336 and a 2 BR is $371. I am not sure how the area is there but I doubt it is that great. You may also want to try the website www.aptselector.com or www.apartmentguide.com.

I believe the # for the Meharry Properties is 615 320-5791, and Ms. Charlene Goldthreate is the Manager. Most of this is all from the information Meharry sent me.

Also personally I would make the trip down here to check everything out before agreeingto any residence.

Hope I could be of some help!

futrorthodr,

You're the best!!! <<<blows kisses your way>>>>

I'll definitely get on that ASAP.

I would have seen this info. in my acceptance package. However, I found out this morning that, instead of sending it to me here in NYC, they sent it to my permanent mailing address: My mom's home in Miamiv :eek: :eek: :eek: She's now going to have to send it to me via overnight mail :(

Oh well, I won't complain :D

Congrats docjolly! Welcome to the Meharry family. I'm also a native New Yorker (Binghamton Grad) attending Meharry. I'm 2 weeks away from becoming an MSIV. If you have any questions about the school (e.g basic sciences) feel free to P.M.

Congrats docjolly! You made it! :)

After reading the posts here, I finally got the guts to phone Mr. Mosley. I'm still waitlisted. :( He says that currently the class is full and that they had recently pulled about 10 people off the waitlist. But to those of us still waiting, we're still in consideration. It's hard for me not to lose hope at this point when I know the class is full and that school starts in about two weeks.

In any case, congrats to the everyone who made it into Meharry! Y'all rock!

Has anybody here received their immunizations yet?? Specifically the ones for Hepatitis B (I II III). Are they able to give you the doses for all three series at once. I was under the impression that they had to be spaced out, and if that is the case I would not be able to complete them before school starts in TWO WEEKS!!

I look forward to meeting all of you in the near future, and good luck to those still waiting. :luck: Don't give up hope because I believe Meharry takes people off the waitlist up until the first day of class.

docjolly said:
I

I've been accepted :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Docjolly, I know I'm kinda late but congratulations! I'm a lurker on the blackfemale thread :laugh: and I've been rooting for you. Congrats and good luck.

BTW, good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear from Meharry :luck:

So as if yall didnt know, we are now waiting for people to withdraw from Meharry. Class begins in a couple of weeks, actually a week and a half, but DO remember its not when Meharry begins that determines our time frame. If anyone withdraws it'll be bc they were accepted into another school and many of these schools have decent waitlist action all the way through july. I am also a firm believer that CREDIT EARNING classes wont begin until later in the summer, so if you are given a late head knod you wouldnt have missed much but some of MAPS. So some encouraging words during some not so encouraging times. Keep this thread alive, as long as hope remains!!!!!! :D

Hmm I was under the impression that once school starts June 20th you were required to withdraw your applicatioin to all other schools??!!

Mrsmac and docjolly,

Have you returned the forms required before orientation?? Also if you have did you send them all to the same office?? There is a form in there about your mailbox number, and I am just curious how you would know that information? Also how did you provide evidence of your immunizations??

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
futrorthodr said:
Hmm I was under the impression that once school starts June 20th you were required to withdraw your applicatioin to all other schools??!!

Mrsmac and docjolly,

Have you returned the forms required before orientation?? Also if you have did you send them all to the same office?? There is a form in there about your mailbox number, and I am just curious how you would know that information? Also how did you provide evidence of your immunizations??

Thanks for the help!!

Well you would definetly kno more than me since your in...haha. But that doesnt sound feasible (for applicants atleast) since most other schools dont start till later in the summer. Thats probably a way Meharry ensures students stay there. But ive also read posts where students have been accepted into meharry a week into the school yr. So who knos......

BeBlessedMD said:
So as if yall didnt know, we are now waiting for people to withdraw from Meharry. Class begins in a couple of weeks, actually a week and a half, but DO remember its not when Meharry begins that determines our time frame. If anyone withdraws it'll be bc they were accepted into another school and many of these schools have decent waitlist action all the way through july. I am also a firm believer that CREDIT EARNING classes wont begin until later in the summer, so if you are given a late head knod you wouldnt have missed much but some of MAPS. So some encouraging words during some not so encouraging times. Keep this thread alive, as long as hope remains!!!!!! :D

Also,

Until you get the final letter saying "After further review of you application we have decided...that you suck and we are not going to let you in!!" (Something to that effect) Then you are still on the waiting list and will still be considered until Meharry knows 100% that the class is full and no one else is leaving or dropping out. At least that is my impression, feel free to tell me different if I am wrong.

NKCC1

futrorthodr said:

I think this is the case. Once you enroll at a medical school, you must give up all other waitlist spots or acceptance spot at other schools.

Yeah I think once you have matriculated there is the understanding that you will withdraw from other schools

SO heres a question....how many withdrawals do u think could happen between this week and next??

Now this is completely a guess on my part, but I think that it is still a pretty active period for waitlist movement so I would think maybe a handful of withdrawals and subsequent offers would be made between now and June 20th

futrorthodr said:
Now this is completely a guess on my part, but I think that it is still a pretty active period for waitlist movement so I would think maybe a handful of withdrawals and subsequent offers would be made between now and June 20th

That would be very nice, but my hopes are down...

futrorthodr said:
Has anybody here received their immunizations yet?? Specifically the ones for Hepatitis B (I II III). Are they able to give you the doses for all three series at once. I was under the impression that they had to be spaced out, and if that is the case I would not be able to complete them before school starts in TWO WEEKS!!

I look forward to meeting all of you in the near future, and good luck to those still waiting. :luck: Don't give up hope because I believe Meharry takes people off the waitlist up until the first day of class.

First off, congrats again to docjolly!!! Man, about the immunizations-I got two shots today (Hepatitis B and Tetanus) and the TB skin test-needless to say, my arms are killing me! And yes, I have the get the last Hepatitis shot 30 days (at a minimum )from now, so I should get it before August.

Anyway, good luck to all those still waiting!

See you at orientation.

mrsmac

I got my first Hepatitis B shot today and also had the TB test done. Thankfully I had the tetanus shot in '99. I guess I wont be able to finish my Hep shots for the next couple months. I hope they dont have any problem with that :D .

Greetings to all the people in the abyss called the acceptable range. First of all, as the title of my post says, THERE IS STILL HOPE! I will be a second year med student at meharry in the fall. When I applied, I was in the acceptable range from February until I got the wonderful call from Mr. Mosely on in the beginning of July, just DAYS before the MAPS program was to begin (it started on July 6th for us). So bottomline, there is still hope.

At this point, with it being so late in the game the advice I have for you guys, which I personally received from another Meharry SDNer when I was in your shoes just over a year ago, is to now pretty much go crazy in letting them know that you WILL ATTEND if accepted. And I'm not talking about a simple phone call saying "hi, can you tell me any new updates?"...I'm talking about pretty much bombarding them, almost harassing them, to let you in. As I said, it was the advice from an SDNer last year that I owe alot to, so now it's my time to give back to this awesome SDN community.

I suggest sending an update e-mail to both Mr. Mosely and Ms. Davis letting them know of what you've been doing the last month (work, school, volunteering...ANYTHING). Tell them SPECIFICALLY in the email why you want to go to Meharry and what you believe you could contribute to the class. To close, REAFFIRM, if it indeed is the case, that if accepted you will definitely attend Meharry. With it so late in the game, they want to be sure if a spot opens up, they have a 100% gurantee from someone that they will attend.

So after sending that well written and convincing email, I would now call the admissions office pretty much once every 2-3 days asking about your status and REAFFIRMING that YOU WILL ATTEND MEHARRY if accepted. I cannot stress this enough!!! You have the convince them that you will attend if accepted. When calling, first ask to speak with Mr. Mosely, if he's not available, ask to speak to Ms. Davis. Those are both of the key people that you need to be speaking with PERSONALLY.

To summarize, send an e-mail to them ASAP! I would call the same day to confirm that they got it, then I would call every 2-3 days after that saying the stuff I already stressed.

I hope this helps. I want all of you to get in!!! Please don't hesistate to reply or send me a PM, I should be on pretty regularly here. GOOD LUCK!!!

futrorthodr said:

Mrsmac and docjolly,

Thanks for the help!!

Whew! This thread is hoppin'! As for those infamous forms, I've been trying to decide what to do. I will actually be moving down there on Sunday, so on Monday morning, I plan on walking most of the forms over to Admissions personally-just for my own piece of mind. At a minimum, they should be able to tell me what is important to have done by Monday. It makes no sense for me to pay $20/30 to express mail the stuff to get there on Friday when I'll be there on Monday. Yeah, the mailbox stuff was strange, as well as the computer account information. In reference to immunizations, a copy of your shot record should suffice or ask the records department at wherever you went for your immunizations to print something out for you.

Lastly, just another question-parking. I'll be staying at the Meharry Towers, but I won't have a parking decal andmy husband is driving down with the kids and staying with me for a few days before orientation. (Thus, 2 cars) So, wouldn't it have made sense to send some parking info similar to what we had for the interviews so that we don't get towed in the middle of orientation? I will ask about that on Monday as well. Sorry for the long post. Gotta go take some motrin for this stupid tetanus shot! :mad:

mrsmac

futrorthodr said:

Mrsmac and docjolly,

Thanks for the help!!

Hi futr,

No, I haven't returned all of the forms. I was just accepted last Friday,and am working very hard to get everything done before June 20th. I filled out the mailbox key form, in addition to the form about computer access.However, I honestly dont' think that these forms are due by June 20th. I think the forms that are required are the final transcripts from the schools at which you attended, in addition to your immunization forms.

You can get a copy of your immunization record from your college. I went to Columbia on Friday to obtain a copy, and the only record they gave me was for my MMR shots. This means that I'll have to have ALL of the other shots on the form :eek: :scared: :eek: My arms are aching, just thinking about it :laugh:

Are we required to have ALL of the shots, listed on the health form, by June 20th? What will happen if all of the shots are not obtained? I'm doing my best to get as many shots as possible, but I fear that I may not obtain all of them by June 20th.

Thanks for your help!!

By the way, mrsmac, I'm sorry to hear about your parking decal dilemma. Can you contact the admissions office about your parking situation?

dj :)

I wonder if I have to send in a final transcript because I graduated from undergrad over a year ago, I thought they just needed a final transcript if you were about to graduate??

Also how did you know the information in order to fill out the mailbox form?? It asks for mailbox # and address?

I'm INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...WHAT A BLESSING...see you all in Nashville. I'll be the light skinded one (male).

To all of those waiting....CALL them bc acceptances are still being sent out.

BeBlessedMD said:
I'm INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...WHAT A BLESSING...see you all in Nashville. I'll be the light skinded one (male).

Wow, man, congrats!

Congratulations Beblessedmd :thumbup: :D

BeBlessedMD said:

Congratulations!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: See you in a few weeks!

i'm so jealous. :mad:

mrsmac and docjolly my 2 favorite women will be classmates

*whipping out my switch for docjolly* my phone hasn't rang. :(

but anyway.....AIN'T GOD GREAT! We are all Class of 2009!

:love:

BeBlessedMD said:

Congrats BeBlessedMD!

I have a question to those who called the office. I have spoken with both Mr. Mosley and Mrs. Davis few times. Everytime I call, they don't seem friendly at all, and I get intimidated. What do you tell them? I'm really afraid to call them anymore.

dr.z said:
Congrats BeBlessedMD!

I have a question to those who called the office. I have spoken with both Mr. Mosley and Mrs. Davis few times. Everytime I call, they don't seem friendly at all, and I get intimidated. What do you tell them? I'm really afraid to call them anymore.

I felt the same way when calling (intimidated) but I truly believe that both of them have a of sense of understanding and compassion as to why you are calling. I mean, its not like your bugging them about something insignificant.....ITS YOUR FUTURE. So dont be afraid, just call!!

First, congratualtions to all of you that have been accepted. Second, I think some of you are stressing way too much about all the paper work. Most of those forms are not crucial so if you can't get them in on time trust me ,they'll have them during orientation so that you can fill them out. At this point I would just concentrate in trying to get the stuff that you need from home such as transcripts and immunizations. Actually, last year there were a few people that were missing a few shots and they got them here;however, things change around here so DON"T COUNT ON THAT. Your primary concern should be to get the transcripts here on time. It will be a pain if you have to keep calling your undergtaduate institution to send them to Meharry. GET THAT DONE WHILE YOU ARE HOME AND HAVE THE TIME. Don't even stress about the rest!! As far as parking, security will be very lineant for the first month because they know many of you have been accepted recently. They won't be towing anybody for a while(if at all). Besides the rest of us (including dental school and graduate studies)don't have to be back until the end of July so parking is not a problem so I don't think they care. If anything you can always park on the street.
For those of you that are still on the acceptance range list, please keep your hopes. I'm sure there is going to movement all the way until the end of june. I know of two people that were accepted when MAPS had already started. Kepp doing what other SDNrs have said and hope for the best!! That is all I can say.

Thanks for the encouragement, Gr42. It's difficult to keep positive but with your words, I'll try my best to hang in and be hopeful.

BeBlessedMD, way to go...you're in! No need for UCI/UCSD (BTW...Thanks for the PM. I was a "No" with SD).

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

LoveDoc said:
i'm so jealous. :mad:

mrsmac and docjolly my 2 favorite women will be classmates

*whipping out my switch for docjolly* my phone hasn't rang. :(

but anyway.....AIN'T GOD GREAT! We are all Class of 2009!

:love:

I feel the love :love: Are you still going to WSU? If so, I wish you all the best.

mrsmac

Gr42 said:
First, congratualtions to all of you that have been accepted. Second, I think some of you are stressing way too much about all the paper work. Most of those forms are not crucial so if you can't get them in on time trust me ,they'll have them during orientation so that you can fill them out. At this point I would just concentrate in trying to get the stuff that you need from home such as transcripts and immunizations. Actually, last year there were a few people that were missing a few shots and they got them here;however, things change around here so DON"T COUNT ON THAT. Your primary concern should be to get the transcripts here on time. It will be a pain if you have to keep calling your undergtaduate institution to send them to Meharry. GET THAT DONE WHILE YOU ARE HOME AND HAVE THE TIME. Don't even stress about the rest!! As far as parking, security will be very lineant for the first month because they know many of you have been accepted recently. They won't be towing anybody for a while(if at all). Besides the rest of us (including dental school and graduate studies)don't have to be back until the end of July so parking is not a problem so I don't think they care. If anything you can always park on the street.
For those of you that are still on the acceptance range list, please keep your hopes. I'm sure there is going to movement all the way until the end of june. I know of two people that were accepted when MAPS had already started. Kepp doing what other SDNrs have said and hope for the best!! That is all I can say.

Thanks for the advice!! You're awesome!!

BeBlessedMD said:

Hi all, I'm so very sorry that I haven't been posting regularly. Verizon shut my telephone off (and rightfully so :laugh: ),and I don't have access to the internet any longer.There's no point in me trying to have my service restored b/c by the end of this week, I'll be gone forever :D

Beblessed, I'm so very happy for you!!!! What a true blessing from God!!! Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It looks as though we'll be classmates, afterall :D

I hope to see you on June 20th :)

Oh, by the way all, I've decided to move into the Herman Street Apartments :) Although I was initially going to move into the Towers, I really wanted to have 1. cheaper rent 2. more space and 3. less stressful living environment. The Herman St. apartments, though a roughly 8-10 minute walk from campus, is a nice break for me. I was able to get a 2 bedroom apartment (and the rooms are a very good size) for $471/month :clap: :clap: :clap: Additionally, the area surrounding these apts. isn't bad at all (although for aesthetic purposes, it could use a bit of tidying up :laugh: :D )

Where is everyone else living?

I am living up in bellevue which is about 8 miles from campus but can take up to 40 minutes with traffic :( .

Oh yeah I received an acceptance from ETSU on Friday, but I think I have decided to stay with Meharry despite the fact that it is alot cheaper and starts much later :laugh:

I'll be moving into a 2 bedroom at the Meharry Towers tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I like it! I really look forward to meeting everyone on the 20th!

mrsmac

Meharry is a great school! I was waitlisted there last year and didn't get it, but I loved it there. Everyone was so friendly when I interviewed there.

Congratulations to all those who are still getting in! God is really moving and making things happen.

docjolly said:
Oh, by the way all, I've decided to move into the Herman Street Apartments :) Although I was initially going to move into the Towers, I really wanted to have 1. cheaper rent 2. more space and 3. less stressful living environment. The Herman St. apartments, though a roughly 8-10 minute walk from campus, is a nice break for me. I was able to get a 2 bedroom apartment (and the rooms are a very good size) for $471/month :clap: :clap: :clap: Additionally, the area surrounding these apts. isn't bad at all (although for aesthetic purposes, it could use a bit of tidying up :laugh: :D )

Sweetie....PLEASE dont live here!!!!!! i am calling your cell phone as i type.....
m.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted into Meharry. I have been following this thread since February and I was also accepted a week ago. Does anyone know anything about Dorothy Brown Hall on Meharry's campus? I will be living there the first year until I move to a better place hopefully off campus.
To everyone else who is still waiting for acceptances to Meharry, don't give up. Keep praying and being persistent with Mr. Mosley and Ms. Davis. Just when you think it's impossible for something to happen, the Lord moves.

Hey Everybody,

I am a waitlister that dropped last week. I will be attending MSU instead. I am glad I did not have an option to choose because that would have been tough! Have fun in Nashville!

peace, se

docjolly said:

like divine said, I SERIOUSLY think you need to reconsider this. That place is not safe by any stretch of the imagination...spend the extra money even if u have to live out farther, so u, your parents, and us fellow Meharrians can have some peace of mind!!!

vikvaz said:
like divine said, I SERIOUSLY think you need to reconsider this. That place is not safe by any stretch of the imagination...spend the extra money even if u have to live out farther, so u, your parents, and us fellow Meharrians can have some peace of mind!!!

Thank you everyone for the warning. I really wished that I had known ahead of time. I've already called the housing office 3 times, but the housing manager won't get back to me. I'm very upset by this. However, until I hear from her, there is nothing I can do (except pray :) ).

I'll let you know if anything changes.

Divinemsm, thank you so much for calling me today :D

Yeah I wouldnt recommend living down there either. I think I may have mentioned the safety issue in a earlier post. Since you dont have a car the only place that I can think of being suitable to live would be in the Towers.

I moved into my apartment yesterday. I hate moving especially b/c it is over 90 degrees and up a flight of stairs :mad:. Now I just have to call ETSU and decline my acceptance :rolleyes:

OK just to throw this out there for you all to ponder over....I(with parent assistance and loans) will be buying a house most likely in the antioch area. I chose to do this bc I've(meaning my parents) probably lost close to 18,000 dollars in rent during my UCI undergrad (Irvine is EXTREMELY expensive...being in the OC and all) and I dont want to make someone elses pockets fatter anymore. So a way to get my money back for housing is just to buy one and then sell it at the end (at the least ill break even for housing). This is a good option you all should consider as well and from what I've been told it seems many previous meharry students have done the same. Also, if I decide to rent the other room(s) it would be a lot cheaper than what you'd pay at an apartment complex. Anyhow an idea. The only major downside I see is the commute which I was told could be somwhere between 15-20 minutes.

P.s. I'm driving from AZ to Tennessee (starting on thursday) which is a 23.6 hour commute. Fun huh?