Meharry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoopoonk

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that Meharry and Howard U admits great number of minorities. I was wondering does Asians in this case regards as minorities?????

Any feedback would be great!
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No, read my post from other dental forum... I am asian and was not considered a minority.

It seems to me that these days many schools and scholarships consider "minority" to mean African-American, Native-American, and Hispanic/Latino. I am Asian and I was told by several dental students that I would not be considered a minority for recruitment purposes. I didn't bother me or anything, but I just thought it was kind of odd because I always thought that Asians were considered a minority in U.S. higher education. Anyone else hear anything similar/different?

Eric

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue is more of an under representation in a particular profession -- rather than a population based minority.

I just got my info packet from UCSF...they count asians as minorities in their breakdown of their student body (69% minority overall, but the vast majority of those are asian). I know UCLA also considers asians as minorities in its student demographics. So I guess each school (or maybe state?) has its own criteria? :cool:

Thanks for all the feedbacks!

Does this mean that minorities who has 2.7 gpa and 17 on dat gets priorities than caucasian with 3.5 gpa and 19 on dat for Meharry or Howard U?

shoopnook,

are you smokin' somethin' or just wishful dreaming??? dude, even though asians may be considered "minorities" at some schools, the reality is their average stats are usually much higher than caucasion ones? Why? B/c asians are disproportionately represented in the health professions. That is, there are a ton more asians in these professions relative to their general population numbers. So, most schools are usually bombarded with a TON of stellar asian applicants who often have outstanding credentials. The fact that alot of them get in isn't really b/c they're get "minority" admission preference, but just b/c they're stats are much better....so, hate to say it but don't expect a better shot at meharry or howard. They're mainly African-American schools anyway....

waiting:

I understand why asians are not considered minorities in the field of health. I also understand there are programs out there to help minorities(non-asians minorities) to get a favorable treatment. However what bothers me is that howard and meharry is not just a program. Its the whole damn school that's giving the favorable treatment to minorities. If what I read is true, about 90+% of available seats at those school are given to minority applicants. I just don't believe this is right.

By the way I did smoke some bad **** this morning.

So would it be "wrong" for me, a white male, to apply to Meharry or Howard. I did to apply to lower tier schools (based on GPA/DAT averages)?

I applied to Howard this year and was waitlisted.

My stats: 3.8 GPA, Science GPA = 3.78
Dat = 21 and 18

I may have been waitlisted due to the fact I am a Canadian Citizen and not a minority. As Howard and I am assuming Meharry perfer minorities. I did get off the waitlist (did not accept the offer), however it goes to show you that there crieteria of admiting students is precise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys dont know what the hell you are talking about.

What stats are you reading? Howard is NOT 90% black in their dental school class. For a "black" school, Howard has a very high number of NON-black students. When you really look at it, Howard has more white students than other schools have black students.

I wish you would get your facts correct.