Meharry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoopoonk

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some information on Meharry Medical College and Howard U? How come statistics on these schools are so low?

Any feedback would be great!!!!
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
The stats are so low because they accept mostly black students.
Tim.

Just a note to the above reply..

I applied to Howard this year and was waitlisted.

My stats: 3.8 GPA, Science GPA = 3.78
Dat = 21 and 18

I may have been waitlisted due to the fact I am a Canadian Citizen and not a minority. As Howard and I am assuming Meharry perfer minorities. I did get off the waitlist (did not accept the offer), however it goes to show you that there crieteria of admiting students is precise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meharry and Howard are historically black institutions. Meharry is dedcicated to training individuals from diadvantaged backgrounds in hope that they will return to underserved areas to practice. howevcr being a minority does insure acceptance and being none minority does not insure rejection. i feel that the appliction process is non-bias i think that upon acceptance minority are more likley to attend while others my prefer other institutions. I am not familiar with the satistics that are being refered to (but i would like to see them) but both schools are accredited

Hi,
The stats are so low because they accept mostly black students.
Tim.
You response is terrible!!!! African American students can make high scores also... However if certain entering class stats are low it is likely that they look at other factors more.

Just a note to the above reply..

I applied to Howard this year and was waitlisted.

My stats: 3.8 GPA, Science GPA = 3.78
Dat = 21 and 18

I may have been waitlisted due to the fact I am a Canadian Citizen and not a minority. As Howard and I am assuming Meharry perfer minorities. I did get off the waitlist (did not accept the offer), however it goes to show you that there crieteria of admiting students is precise.

Did you apply early???

This thread is from 2001....

OP's question is almost a decade old.

Today, Meharry is a very competitive program and doesn't accept applicants with less than 3.5 GPA and 22's on the DAT. They also switched from minority oriented program, to elitists.

These days, the goal for any applicant is to become a dentist, no one cares so much about the name of the school. Just get in somewhere, schools teach about 1/4 of what you really need to know anyways, the other 3/4 comes with experience.

ha whatever helps you sleep at night

Today, Meharry is a very competitive program and doesn't accept applicants with less than 3.5 GPA and 22's on the DAT. They also switched from minority oriented program, to elitists.

These days, the goal for any applicant is to become a dentist, no one cares so much about the name of the school. Just get in somewhere, schools teach about 1/4 of what you reallyneed to know anyways, the other 3/4 comes with experience.

Where did you get this information from?

Isn't Meharry in TN? Isn't this where "Trick my Truck" is filmed? Gotta love a state where people pimp out a semi.

I am a african american female from baton rouge, la that attends southern university as a microbiology major. i plan on grad in fall 2010 i am starting my process for dental school but i have a gpa of 2.9 what should i do to increase my chances of getting into summer school: summer research programs, shadowing, grad school, community service.....????

Any help is truly welcomed.... Thank you
britt britt :D

These days, the goal for any applicant is to become a dentist, no one cares so much about the name of the school. Just get in somewhere, schools teach about 1/4 of what you really need to know anyways, the other 3/4 comes with experience.

Your crazy with those stats. those stats are representative of a far better institutions. Last reports show meharry with 3.1 gpa and less than 20 dat. but keep dreaming

I am a african american female from baton rouge, la that attends southern university as a microbiology major. i plan on grad in fall 2010 i am starting my process for dental school but i have a gpa of 2.9 what should i do to increase my chances of getting into summer school: summer research programs, shadowing, grad school, community service.....????

Any help is truly welcomed.... Thank you
britt britt :D

do howard, is basically an all black dental school. and stats are low. just write a good essay and do meharry,there stats are very low too.