Meiosis Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claydds

claydds
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my bio text it says, " after anaphase I, each pole has a complete haploid set of chromosomes consisting of one member of each homologous pair. Then it says after telophase II, the final division results in four haploid chromosomes. I'm confused because I thought that replication occurs before the first division as in mitosis, then it does not replicate during the second division....so after anaphase I, wouldnt it be diploid? Appreciate the Help

Members don't see this ad.

claydds said:
In my bio text it says, " after anaphase I, each pole has a complete haploid set of chromosomes consisting of one member of each homologous pair. Then it says after telophase II, the final division results in four haploid chromosomes. I'm confused because I thought that replication occurs before the first division as in mitosis, then it does not replicate during the second division....so after anaphase I, wouldnt it be diploid? Appreciate the Help

Diploid and Haploid refer to the whether or not homologous pairs of chromosomes exist, not the number of chromatids in each chromosome.

So, after Anaphase I, each cell has one set of chromosomes (consisting of two chromatids) and NO homologous pairs, meaning that it is haploid.

BirkChick said:
Diploid and Haploid refer to the whether or not homologous pairs of chromosomes exist, not the number of chromatids in each chromosome.

So, after Anaphase I, each cell has one set of chromosomes (consisting of two chromatids) and NO homologous pairs, meaning that it is haploid.

Ok, that makes sense...thanks