Melbourne and Sydney Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0ny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, was hoping i could take in some feedback on my chances regarding applying to Melbourne and Sydney Med so here are my stats:

- 3.5 cGPA double major in Psychology and Biochemistry at a Canadian University (I am Canadian resident)
- MCAT: 31O

ECs:
- Working at a pharmacy as a lab technician for 4 years (part time during school as well)
- Volunteer work in Tanzania for 5 weeks.
- Tutoring 4 kids with ADHD for 2 years (~10 hours a week)
- Research in Neuroscience lab doing research on effects of estrogen levels on Schizophrenia for 1 year
- Shadowed a surgeon for ~10 hours
- Play various sports (Hockey mainly... yes typical Canadian)

I am very curious about melbourne as it is a wonderful city (Fun fact: Rated #1 best city to live in in the world) and Sydney.

Any feedback would be fantastic, THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Bump - Any feedback would be great if possible. Thanks everyone

I wouldn't be concerned. Your cGPA will probably translate well in a wGPA that Syd and Melb use. I had a lower cGPA than you and got into Syd. I didn't apply to Melb because I didn't have anatomy. My MCAT was roughly the same as yours but a T in writing.

I wouldn't stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a bunch. What do you mean about their wGPA? How are you enjoying U of Syd?

UMelb and USyd compute your GPA using a weighting scheme. USyd weights each year equally, and UMelb weights your later years more than your earlier years, as follows:

USyd: (Yr1 + Yr2 + Yr3)/3
UMelb: (Yr1*1+Yr2*2+Yr3*3)/6

This is your weighted GPA (wGPA). (FYI: Both schools only consider your last three years of study.)

You'll be fine for USyd, which only cares about your MCAT, wGPA, and interview performance. I don't know about UMelb, since I never applied there.

USyd is great if you're very self-motivated. Not so great otherwise. You're pretty much on your own to prepare for your home country's residency application process, including the licensing exams. And if you don't prepare, you might not have a job at the end of four years. Anywhere. Including Australia. Scary prospect--and a reality for some current international fourth years. (Just Google "australia intern shortage.") But if you are self-motivated, it's great. They don't saddle you with too many obligations, so you have plenty of time for self-study and research with their amazing faculty.

Last edited: