MELODRAMA Pt 1: 1st thing to know before starting NBDE part 1 prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibanez

Hai Ya!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a whole lot of wrong protocol being followed by NBDE candidates c.f. USMLE candidates who study every inch and pinch. When I say study, they study "BY UNDERSTANDING" and "NOT BY ROTE".

A typical NBDE Part 1 candidate, mostly amongst FTDs, will start his/her preparation with Decks or Kaplan review book or AT MOST KAPLAN NOTES (which are plain SYNOPSIS/REVIEW/CHILD-PLAY-STUFF). And some peek-a-boo skimming through Wikipedia (but the authenticity of material on wikipedia is doubtful since its a P2P Open Source) and later released Qs (and some try to play-their-way-into-unreleased/remembered-Qs ---> UNETHICAL + UNAUTHENTIC). Alternatively some people start with released papers and then the same "whole-lot-of" above mentioned material. Plus some people have their way-with-CRACK-THE-NBDE... well I can't say anything about that. Plus sometimes a "First Aid-go-through-once/twice".

Well on the contrary a USMLE Step 1 candidate studies standard books or board friendly books (High Yields, BRS, NME etc) or USMLE Kaplans' notes (which ARE 100 times better than NBDE notes) followed by extensive Kaplan's Q bank (USMLE WORLD/PRAC PAPERS), NBMEs, RapidReview, PreMeds etc. IMPORTANT POINT HERE TO NOTE IS THAT THESE BOARD FRIENDLY BOOKS/KAPLAN's USMLE notes build GOOD CONCEPTUAL KNOWLEDGE which is QUINTESSENTIAL to "actually-CRACK-THE-NBDE ; not the software... A phrase! A transient dream-reality state! Whatever!).

I say, "suit yourself", however I CANNOT RATIONALIZE THIS WHOLE LOTTA WRONG PROTOCOL being followed by NBDE candidates. My suggestion to all those starting with their preparation is to use USMLE books to understand the basics and then you can follow-up with decks, reviews, NBDE stuff. And ALSO GIVE KAPLAN's NBDE notes a read...
(like for example Immunology given in Kaplan's NBDE notes is good and also DA from Kaplan's is indispensable, biochem is also good but lacking-at-some-points)

WELL THE BASIC SCIENCES REMAIN THE SAME FOR A MEDIC OR A DENT... WHY, THEN, THE STUDY MATERIAL BE ANY DIFFERENT !!!!

USMLE Step 1 score has more 99ers... and I'm yet to see someone with a 99 on NBDE Part 1 on SDN.

What kind of doctors will you be if you have LIL SKIM-READ-PEEK-A-BOO knowledge about the basics acquired through "EXTENSIVE ROTE, ROTE and MORE ROTE"!

It is my belief that we, as dentists/dental docs, should do justice to our profession... How often do medics treat us dentists as Money-Making-Monkeys with NO/LIL-KNOWLEDGE-OF-BASIC-SCIENCES? (Well its a known fact that they, medics (most/few?), despise everything about dentistry... Lil-Studying-Lil-Work-hours-Lil-everything-but-BIG-money)

Enough Whining for today! :smuggrin:

All in all is all you have... If you can handle USMLE theory stuff, then go for it without thinking twice about anything else.

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Mayank.

PS I find it easier to whine than to study:laugh:
PSS And I'm sticking with the USMLE theory material.

Members don't see this ad.

agree totally agree .. but is it not tat proper basic studies n understanding the concepts r essential for physio/biochem
As anatomy , micro , patho is more based on memorizing n can be read from any book??
Plzz share ur thoughts here ...

hey mayank
i totally agree with u. at first i felt USMLE kaplan material was too detailed for us dentists.but after just going thru the dental anatomy in kaplan NBDE i decided to stick to USMLE stuff for all the medical subjects. as u said its the basic understanding that really matters and USMLE kaplan is the best. am giving my part 1 in august and dont know what the "biggies"(the big scorers of the recent times) think of the USMLE kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree wth you 100% but usmle has 99ers because their curve for grading is different than us...They have 300 questions and if they get 240 correct, they get a 99. Plus there are 40 pilot question in every usmle test....There would be 99ers in nbde as well if the norms were more defined.

It is my belief that we, as dentists/dental docs, should do justice to our profession... How often do medics treat us dentists as Money-Making-Monkeys with NO/LIL-KNOWLEDGE-OF-BASIC-SCIENCES? (Well its a known fact that they, medics (most/few?), despise everything about dentistry... Lil-Studying-Lil-Work-hours-Lil-everything-but-BIG-money)

even if you bust your a$$ and get a 99 on the boards i will bet that you will forget the majority of the material you learned. If you dont apply and use all that knowledge on a day to day basis, you'll forget it. As dentists, you really dont apply a lot of what is learned through the basic sciences so that knowledge ultimately becomes forgotten. Of course you gain a great broad understanding of human physiology, which does make you a competent doctor of dental surgery, but its not used as much in the dental world as it is for an Internist, for example.

And for all those doctors that think dentists are dumb and lazy...well they are just ignorant. I think dentistry is a very demanding profession that takes a tremendous amount of skill, artistry, and dedication. The reason why dentists love to work 3-4 days a week is because you'd go blind staring through loops 6 days a week for 12 hours at a time.

But i do agree with using the USMLE materials. Although for someone looking to just pass, stick to the decks and old exams then enjoy your summer!

oh GREATTTT...do i feel like total crap reading whats written above....JESUS PPL....stop putting down ppl who have less time and try to exhaust any way of preparing for the exam....EXCUSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OUR IGNORANCE will ya?
"What kind of doctors will you be if you have LIL SKIM-READ-PEEK-A-BOO knowledge about the basics acquired through "EXTENSIVE ROTE, ROTE and MORE ROTE"!"
my answer to this comment for you is.....if ur gonna tell me ur gonna use aaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the info ur studdying to get a good score on this exam....then seriously, just come back to reality will ya....if u dont agree w/ the way ppl are preparing for the exam and u have all the god dam time in the world to sit there and read every book suggested by the ADA then go aheaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddddd.....ppl who dont have too much time on their hands are just asking for advice...NOT LOOKING FOR SHORTCUTSSSSSS....dont get ur panties in a tight knot.....im surwe well all will make JUST as good doctors and YOU...

oh GREATTTT...do i feel like total crap reading whats written above....JESUS PPL....stop putting down ppl who have less time and try to exhaust any way of preparing for the exam....EXCUSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OUR IGNORANCE will ya?
"What kind of doctors will you be if you have LIL SKIM-READ-PEEK-A-BOO knowledge about the basics acquired through "EXTENSIVE ROTE, ROTE and MORE ROTE"!"
my answer to this comment for you is.....if ur gonna tell me ur gonna use aaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the info ur studdying to get a good score on this exam....then seriously, just come back to reality will ya....if u dont agree w/ the way ppl are preparing for the exam and u have all the god dam time in the world to sit there and read every book suggested by the ADA then go aheaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddddd.....ppl who dont have too much time on their hands are just asking for advice...NOT LOOKING FOR SHORTCUTSSSSSS....dont get ur panties in a tight knot.....im surwe well all will make JUST as good doctors and YOU...

Oh, my Oh my,
Ignorance, O dear Ignorance,
Why do you visit people often... you're so smart! I just pissed-in-my-pants.

The headline of this thread clearly states that it is directed against those who are GOING-TO-START.

How in the world can you blame me for the HOLE-IN-YOUR-SWING?
If you have less of time, I never pulled you here on my thread nor did I "INVITED" you. This was your personal interest to read my thread not mine.

Well my interest is clearly not to let people down!

You can add storeys after storeys to your buiding but if the base ain't that strong... The building's gonna fall!

"don't get ur panties in a tight knot"?
WHAT KIND OF SICK EXPRESSION IS THIS? It doesn't make sense at all... And first-thing-first ==> I don't wear panties! I don't have any panties! I'll not have any panties for myself!

Shoot-your-slanders if you may...

Harvest your private prudence, that ain't my staple... Not my junk, even!

JUDGE, thy self!
Mayank.

even if you bust your a$$ and get a 99 on the boards i will bet that you will forget the majority of the material you learned. If you dont apply and use all that knowledge on a day to day basis, you'll forget it. As dentists, you really dont apply a lot of what is learned through the basic sciences so that knowledge ultimately becomes forgotten. Of course you gain a great broad understanding of human physiology, which does make you a competent doctor of dental surgery, but its not used as much in the dental world as it is for an Internist, for example.

And for all those doctors that think dentists are dumb and lazy...well they are just ignorant. I think dentistry is a very demanding profession that takes a tremendous amount of skill, artistry, and dedication. The reason why dentists love to work 3-4 days a week is because you'd go blind staring through loops 6 days a week for 12 hours at a time.

But i do agree with using the USMLE materials. Although for someone looking to just pass, stick to the decks and old exams then enjoy your summer!

Hey I appreciate every single word that you wrote-in here.

Uh huh, strictly going by research, you only remember 18% of events that happened yesterday!

Well I understand that you need to re-inforce every now and then. Also I understand the need to apply the theory into practice, and its absolutely not possible to remember every thing that one studies...
But there are pretty many opportunities in the dental-clinical-sciences as well. Not as much as a med intern does but we do have our opportunities to apply some if not more. Even when we've to regionally, and legally, focus our work primarily in the head and neck region or oral cavity precisely.
And without basics, I feel like "the arm-less, the leg-less wonder" (/Johnny got his gun) of the 21st century.

KARMA VS. SUCCESS...

TO NOT STUDY BECAUSE I, OR YOU, "MAY" FORGET MOST, ITS LIKE...
NOT EATING HONEY BECAUSE IT MIGHT CAUSE BOTULISM.

OR NOT WALK/PLAY/RUN/DANCE BECAUSE YOU MIGHT HURT SELF.

Well...

"You never count your money, when you're sitting at the table,
There'll time enough for counting, when the dealing's done"

The Gambler(/Kenny Rogers)

"Nij kar kriyaa Rahim kahi sidhi bhaavi ke haath !!
Paasa apne haath mein, daaon na apne haath !!"

Its in our hands/will power to do the Karma, but we don't have control over its success. Like in the game of backgammon, we only have control over the dices but not the bet.

Rahim

"You have control over doing your respective duty only (Karma), but no control or claim over the results. The fruits (Phal) of work should not be your motive, and you should never be inactive"

Bhagvad Gita (/English Translation)

I'll do my duty... "Whatever that will happen, it will be for good." Gita Sar

AND LOUPES ARE NOT JUST USED BY DENTISTS... ENT SURGEONS/MICRO-VASCULAR SURGEONS/NEURO/CARDIO/CARDIO-THORACIC/GASTRO/URO
et cetra as well. And these surgeons use it more often than us dentists.

Sorry for the length of this "monologue", for my thoughts and theology...

Regards,
Mayank.

LOLL LOOK AT YOUUUUUU GETTING WORKED UP........seriously, you couldnt even come back w/ a decent and valid rebuke ..IFF THAT WAS UR ATTEMPT .....you did nothing in ur post other than to take personal swings at me...which, honesty, is fine w/ me...cuz im RIGHT HERE....bring it!

oh and for the record, you "foreign trained dentist" trying to make it in this well diversified country....try learning something new ..."don't get ur panties in a tight knot"?
*****It is an expression coming from Great Britain. The origin of the saying reflects an upset person angerly wading up clothes and throwing them in the dresser drawers as opposed to carefully folding the clothes.******* which is EXACTLY what you are doing haha....and for ur information...the phrase can also be used w/ a replacement of the word 'panties'...with 'knicker's...lets hope u wear those =)
there's ur english phrase for the day...now go on and go develop some patience and wisdome to accept criticism because judging from your demeanor....you have LOTS TO LEARN.....oh...and WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLL LOOK AT YOUUUUUU GETTING WORKED UP........seriously, you couldnt even come back w/ a decent and valid rebuke ..IFF THAT WAS UR ATTEMPT .....you did nothing in ur post other than to take personal swings at me...which, honesty, is fine w/ me...cuz im RIGHT HERE....bring it!

oh and for the record, you "foreign trained dentist" trying to make it in this well diversified country....try learning something new ..."don't get ur panties in a tight knot"?
*****It is an expression coming from Great Britain. The origin of the saying reflects an upset person angerly wading up clothes and throwing them in the dresser drawers as opposed to carefully folding the clothes.******* which is EXACTLY what you are doing haha....and for ur information...the phrase can also be used w/ a replacement of the word 'panties'...with 'knicker's...lets hope u wear those =)
there's ur english phrase for the day...now go on and go develop some patience and wisdome to accept criticism because judging from your demeanor....you have LOTS TO LEARN.....oh...and WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have time for more BS, and well I don't want to point your grammatical errors... so shove it up yours and sleep tight.

You're welcoming me in a country which you don't own, "Indian" graduate?

Well it can't get more random than to use a phrase from "GREAT" Britain to save your "WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES" neo-philosophy.

If you have a phenotypical-genotypical mis-match, then I can't help it...

You (*indiangraduate*) may wear panties if you're a man phenotypically and a woman genotypically, or you (*indiangraduate*) may go topless if you're a woman phenotypically and a man genotypically. Or what-ever you are... I don't care.

I don't have any "panties"! I don't wear any "panties"! I'll not have any "panties" for self!

Mayank.

PS Correct way to use ellipses is three dots... *Indiangraduate*

actually, i am a citizen....and uhhhhhh i dont think anybody can OWNNNNNNNNNN a country.....lol you dont have time for BS?????? dude....im not the one who wrote 2 posts about his father and his grandpa and his brother and mother and what hole he comes from....so really, save it homie....SAVE IT
i can use my ellipses any way i want, so heres a dose of "ellipses" for u................................................................ geez go back to the hole u came from....in chandiGARHHHHHHHHHHH ....
oh my...shove it up my???? how polite of a 'future dentist' to use that phrase....(<-----there's another dose of WRONGLY USED ELLIPSESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FOR U) AHEM...anyways, getting back to what i was saying....yes, ur a loser...and you proved it by contradicting yourself.... CHIP CHIP CHEERIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! DAM..im so good at pissing u off..im kinda enjoying it now

oh, please dont start crying on me now...IBANEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...or what was ur name again ....MYGUNK?????? or was it...myUUUNNKK? like...JUNK???????? ur name says it all...MAYJUNK! ....haha...seriously, dont cry...

actually, i am a citizen....and uhhhhhh i dont think anybody can OWNNNNNNNNNN a country.....lol you dont have time for BS?????? dude....im not the one who wrote 2 posts about his father and his grandpa and his brother and mother and what hole he comes from....so really, save it homie....SAVE IT
i can use my ellipses any way i want, so heres a dose of "ellipses" for u................................................................ geez go back to the hole u came from....in chandiGARHHHHHHHHHHH ....
oh my...shove it up my???? how polite of a 'future dentist' to use that phrase....(<-----there's another dose of WRONGLY USED ELLIPSESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FOR U) AHEM...anyways, getting back to what i was saying....yes, ur a loser...and you proved it by contradicting yourself.... CHIP CHIP CHEERIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! DAM..im so good at pissing u off..im kinda enjoying it now

Actually, No! I'm laughing at god knows who...
...And you'd all the time in the universe to read all of it! :idea:

Hey Moral-*****,
My uncle's from Chandigarh... Not me!

Well I'm guilty as charged, I'm a LOSER... But certainly as and when compared to Leonardo da Vinci, Einstein, a million and one others but not you my dear...

Mayank

PS Soy un prededor, I'm a loser baby...
So why don't you kill me
(Double Barrel Buck-Shot)

well im glad you agree with me....that you're a loser...and please, i am NOT your dear (that's just nasty to be someone's dear who doesnt wear undergarments) that's like MCNASTY!.......you are majunk...ba dunka dunk dunk...remember..u forgot to reply to that post...hahaha
and ya,...ur 'uncle'...whom u wrote...a long a$$ loser post about....and nobody really cares about him or his sorry practice...or you ...and ur sorry brother who is super specializing in god knows what............................oh WOW....another mistake w/ my eeellliippssesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss >=)~~~~~~
oh, and u also conveniently 'forgot' to write about someone 'owning' a country....haha..MYJUNK!

well im glad you agree with me....that you're a loser...and please, i am NOT your dear (that's just nasty to be someone's dear who doesnt wear undergarments) that's like MCNASTY!.......you are majunk...ba dunka dunk dunk...remember..u forgot to reply to that post...hahaha
and ya,...ur 'uncle'...whom u wrote...a long a$$ loser post about....and nobody really cares about him or his sorry practice...or you ...and ur sorry brother who is super specializing in god knows what............................oh WOW....another mistake w/ my eeellliippssesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss >=)~~~~~~
oh, and u also conveniently 'forgot' to write about someone 'owning' a country....haha..MYJUNK!

In the politest of words possible, kindly excuse this thread...

You're a born genius with humongous knowledge of Universe and Extra-universe and metaphysics and almost every other thing possible.

Best Regards,
Mayank.

thanks! i knew you would figure it out....sooner or later!
*ahem* and yes, likewise, in the 'politest' of words, 'best regards' to you as well =)

Status
Not open for further replies.