Memorizing strategies for Gross Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natalie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good advice as to how to memorize anatomical terms and landmarks? For example, remembering the "M" on the brachial plexis by thinking "mickey mouse university". I know it's kind of dorky but it really seems to help. If anyone has any good expressions for any part of the body that would be great if you would please post them! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Natalie said:
Does anyone have any good advice as to how to memorize anatomical terms and landmarks? For example, remembering the "M" on the brachioplexis by thinking "mickey mouse university". I know it's kind of dorky but it really seems to help. If anyone has any good expressions for any part of the body that would be great if you would please post them! :)

First of all, it's brachial plexus. Second, mnemonics are very good, but they will only get you so far. I can't tell you how many times I thought I came up with great mnemonics, but spent more time remembering the mnemonic than what it represented. The best thing is to learn it well, practice it, spend long hours in the lab and repeat the structures over and over again. Quiz yourself on the names. The key is repetition. The key is repetition. The key is repetition.

I agree wholeheartedly...just know it and know it well...know it rightside up and upside down...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was replying to also recommend the medical mnemonics web site. During my 1st year, I would print out the ones that applied to what we were doing in lab and have them for my lab group. They didn't help with learning, per se, but they helped with the little facts that you had to know - the order of things .....etc. I can't remember if they every helped with anatomic relationships...but they were always something that I found funny and would more readily remember.

Also - I used BRS for anatomy all the time. Our instructor actually took questions out of there - so it came in VERY handy. However, I am a big fan of the BRS series.

What's worked for me is to use a dry-erase board or similar device and draw structures from memory. Sounds silly, but it works wonders. I only require a few minutes to memorize entire things such as the brachial plexus, lumbar plexus, abdominal arteries, etc. and it "sticks" in your memory. Also works for subjects such as biochem (drawing out reaction pathways) that require heavy memorization. Try it.