memorizing: the only way to study organic chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw one of my organic chemistry instructors and he told me that organic chemistry was hard because of all the memorization required. Is that really true?
And also...which is harder; the first or second semester of organic chemistry?
Thanks
Nev

Members don't see this ad.

Its a lot more understanding than memorizing.

Second semester is considered harder than the first one..

nev said:
I saw one of my organic chemistry instructors and he told me that organic chemistry was hard because of all the memorization required. Is that really true?
And also...which is harder; the first or second semester of organic chemistry?
Thanks
Nev

If you want to do well, learn by understanding and NOT by memorizing!

Gonzo12164 said:
If you want to do well, learn by understanding and NOT by memorizing!

Agreed. Mastering organic chemistry depends more on learning a few basic principles behind reactions and applying them to different functional groups. You will see many common threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Memorization gets my vote.

Trust me, attempting to take the deductive approach to studying o-chem is far too daunting than it is worth.

Memorizing will get you through it much more smoothly. I tried to look at the structure as a mode of understanding the function for the first quarter of o-chem and ended up with a low B. Once I jumped onto the memorization boat I was getting some of the highest scores in the class for the final two quarters.

MB in SD said:
Memorization gets my vote.

Trust me, attempting to take the deductive approach to studying o-chem is far too daunting than it is worth.

Memorizing will get you through it much more smoothly. I tried to look at the structure as a mode of understanding the function for the first quarter of o-chem and ended up with a low B. Once I jumped onto the memorization boat I was getting some of the highest scores in the class for the final two quarters.

Umm, why not just do both? Strickly memorizing won't help you if you actually want to learn the material. But simply learning concepts won't get you an A on the exam.

FYI if you are asking this in regards to medical school, there is very little memorization type questions on the MCAT.

hmmm....good ideas everyone....I think I'll do both but lean more towards the memorization part.
By the way...do u guys have any warnings to offer me before I take o-chem?

nev said:
hmmm....good ideas everyone....I think I'll do both but lean more towards the memorization part.
By the way...do u guys have any warnings to offer me before I take o-chem?

Generally, you need to do both. Memorize the general mechanism, say aromatic substitution. Then look at every reaction and APPLY what you memorized (nitration of benzene). It makes studying a lot easier. I got an A in both semesters of organic, and this is what I did. Recognize what type of reaction a certain problem is, then apply what you know. This will eliminate about 75% of thinking required, because almost every reaction is of a certain type, and just by looking at the reactants you can quickly identify and move on.
First semester is a little rough, mainly because I had a hard time with SN1/SN2, and you have to learn a lot of new terminology. Second semester is a little rough because of spectoscopy....the devil. I hated spectroscopy.

I have to disagree about spectroscopy, particularly NMR. I loved it! It's like a jigsaw puzzle, and you feel SO GOOD when you can come up with the structure.

As to the studying, I think that OCHEM I is hard because it's a completely different paradigm than general chemistry, and you have to get used to shutting that part of your brain off. Content-wise, however, OCHEM II is definitely harder. The sheer number of reactions you have to learn is a lot to deal with, and you just flat out have to memorize SOME things, but not all. I agree with the above that applying concepts to different functional groups is key, and if you have a good instructor they will show you that you are actually learning GROUPS of reactions, not disparate topics. For example, Grignard Reagent, Aldol Condensation, all reactions with carboxylic acids, aldehydes, ketones, esters, ethers, can sort of all be clumped into one "group" of reactions separate from, say, electrophilic aromatic substitution.

Things you DO need to memorize:
1)Reagents, solvents, and other reaction players like heat, energy, etc.
2)WHY certain reactions happen. This, above all else, will save your a$$. If you can answer why, then you don't HAVE to memorize every reaction, because you can sort of reason your way through if the reaction is unfamiliar; by this, I mean it starts to become easier and easier to look at a molecule and know for certain what it will NOT do; for instance I can look at a carboxylic acid(acetic acid, for example) and know that there is NO WAY that it is going to undergo a Diels-Alder reaction.

Hope this helps

Agreed. Mastering organic chemistry depends more on learning a few basic principles behind reactions and applying them to different functional groups. You will see many common threads.

I think I learn better the other way around. I would memorize TONS of reactions by writing them down over and over again, and I eventually really understood the principles behind them. Also, there were a number of exceptions to these principles and I was more comfortable memorizing all the reactions rather than just the exceptions.

Different people learn differently... find the method that works best for you and run with it!

Em1 said:
I think I learn better the other way around. I would memorize TONS of reactions by writing them down over and over again, and I eventually really understood the principles behind them. Also, there were a number of exceptions to these principles and I was more comfortable memorizing all the reactions rather than just the exceptions.

Different people learn differently... find the method that works best for you and run with it!

the most importnat thing to do when studying ochem is not to fall behind. keep up with your work. make sure you can devote some time to the class , dont overload.