Memory Dumping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolWhipp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't remember anything from the previous blocks after they are over. Is this normal? How am I supposed to learn it all for USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember anything from the previous blocks after they are over. Is this normal? How am I supposed to learn it all for USMLE?

It is normal, but it is also normal to be average.

Reactions: 1 user
It is not about learning it. It is about memorizing it, and dumping it after Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not about learning it. It is about memorizing it, and dumping it after Step 1.
Except, you know, having your first shelf exam and having to rely on the depths of some of that Step 1 knowledge to blindly feel your way through questions. Because, really, what shelf isn't at least half a medicine shelf?

Except, you know, having your first shelf exam and having to rely on the depths of some of that Step 1 knowledge to blindly feel your way through questions. Because, really, what shelf isn't at least half a medicine shelf?

The level of minutiae required for Step 1 is much much more than it is for any shelf (or step 2) exam. Obviously you're learning other stuff to fill in the gaps between basic science and clinical application as a MS3, so all of that gets added to the shelf exams and step 2 tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of what you learned about during M1 and M2 year (especially M1 year) is something that will never be used again, not even for Step 1. You should know it exists, you should be aware of it, but if it's ever necessary to know the details you should look it up.

For example, the very first week of medical school, I memorized all of the muscles of the forearm to a ridiculous amount of detail, from location to origin, insertion, etc. Today (halfway through internship), I don't think I could NAME three quarters of the muscles that are present in the forearm, and I doubt half my classmates could either. There were absolutely zero questions on it on Step 1, Step 2, any shelf exams, etc. (There's a few questions on median/ulnar nerve palsys and on anatomic snuffbox/scaphoid fractures, but those include nothing about knowing the names of the forearm muscles).

That story can be repeated over and over for a large proportion of it. Physiology? You need to have your understand of the fundamentals. Pathology? Be able to at least recognize most conditions. Pharmacology? Know the indications and most common uses of the medications. Common (and serious) side effects as well.

Everything useful will be reinforced over time through clinical experiences. M1/M2 year are to get exposure to all the different things that will go into that. That said, it's important to learn once. Because right now, you DON'T KNOW what is going to be at least somewhat relevant someday, and the most dangerous situation to be in during clinics isn't when you realize something exists but you forgot the name, but when you don't know what you don't know.