Meningitis/Pneumonia age group discrepancies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyrule

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a certain way you guys are studying these? or know how these tend to appear on the actual USMLE?

For ex, according to FA, m.c.c of meningitis in people 6-60 years is N.meningitidis. However, not according to UWorld and other sources.

Some absolutes for sure are:

Group B strep in newborns (both pneumonia and meningitis)
S.pneumoniae in the elderly (both pneumonia and meningitis)

But it's the age groups in the middle that are different from source to source.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Meningitis in newborns are from bacteria that normally colonize the vagina, so most common is Group B Strep. Can also be caused by Listeria, E. coli and H. influenza, although H. flu isn't very common because of the vaccine.
2. Most common cause of meningitis in teenagers are N. meningitidis, but it can also be Strep pneumonia.
3. In elderly, most common cause of menigitis is Strep pneumonia, and can also be Gram negative rods or listeria

Most common cause of meningitis overall is Strep pneumonia.

Most common cause of viral encephalitis is enteroviruses. HSV causes encephalitis with temporal lobe necrosis.

I think that should probably be sufficient info to know.

1. Meningitis in newborns are from bacteria that normally colonize the vagina, so most common is Group B Strep. Can also be caused by Listeria, E. coli and H. influenza, although H. flu isn't very common because of the vaccine.
2. Most common cause of meningitis in teenagers are N. meningitidis, but it can also be Strep pneumonia.
3. In elderly, most common cause of menigitis is Strep pneumonia, and can also be Gram negative rods or listeria

Most common cause of meningitis overall is Strep pneumonia.

Most common cause of viral encephalitis is enteroviruses. HSV causes encephalitis with temporal lobe necrosis.

I think that should probably be sufficient info to know.
I want to know what your sources are
In Uworld they say it's Strep pneumo
But in First Aid it says N. meningitidis....
I emailed the CDC to try to get a resolution let's see if they reply.... or if someone can link to a paper that settles the debate.....

I have also noticed these discrepancies and find it pretty frustrating.

Basically, I'm going to go with whatever FA says. Almost everyone uses FA. Fewer use uworld. If the people who write the USMLE want to get you this way, then they're going to get you and it probably isn't worth the time to investigate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although things like most common cancers by sex, cancer mortality, etc are important and you may have to know in exact sequence, I'm almost certain they would never just straight up ask what is the most common meningitis or pneumonia by age. They would give you other clues to direct you to the answer. As long as you know which ones are common you should be fine.

Go with what FA says.

N. meningitidis after 1 month of age, most commonly in teens living in dorms

H. Influenzae is more commonly for epiglottitis, and HiB is very rare b/c of PRP+toxoid vaccine; you'd have to given more info, like "gram negative coccobacillus growing on enriched choco agar with X and V" or something

S. pneumo for old people (and yeah it's the most common overall)

The CDC answered me
This is a great question and the exact numbers are changing over time and with vaccination strategies. Overall, S. pneumoniae is the most common cause of bacterial meningitis among 6-60 year olds. However, in the younger age group (6-25 year olds, for example), N. meningitidis causes slightly more or an equivalent among of disease. S. pneumoniae is more likely to occur in persons with underlying medical conditions or who are immunocompromised. So in a healthy adolescent, the more likely cause is N. meningitidis.
some it up 6-25 N. meningitidis [S. pneumo is pretty close], 6-60 Strep pneumo