Jul 11, 2009
Status
Hi guys , can someone please explain why patients with low thyroid hormone levels get menorrhagia , I know it is a finding in many hypothyroid patients , but cant find why even after googling it a lot.

Can someone please explain to me?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Eduro

Captopril

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2008
The ICU
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi guys , can someone please explain why patients with low thyroid hormone levels get menorrhagia , I know it is a finding in many hypothyroid patients , but cant find why even after googling it a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Eduro
This is probably completely wrong, but my own way of remembering it is

hypothyroid-->obesity-->increased adipose tissue--->increased aromatization of androgens to estrogen--->messes w/ the endometrium

Scaredshizzles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Eduro

Hypothyroid states alter the hypothalamic-pituitary axis in a number ways...In any case, the end result is decreased FSH/LH, leading to irregular periods....sometimes complete amenorrhea, but probably more frequently just irregular periods...Irregular periods means that the endometrium is in various different stages of proliferation when it gets the message to slough....in order for the process ordinarily not to be too much of a bloody mess requires the ordered retreat and contractions of the spiral arteries (is that what they are called? It's been a while)...but you lose this ordered process because of the irregular duration and irregular sequence of hormone level fluctuations...