MD Men's Attire for shadowing/rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmed96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm used to just wearing sweats literally all the time and that's what i plan to do in class but for shadowing and rotations, what kinds of things should i be wearing?

I have some khakis and a couple of suit pants but is there a particular type of dress shoe, shirts, sweaters or anything that are better suited for the hospital?

Also, where do you guys shop for this stuff? Obviously can't afford big brands

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

usually scrubs work fine

if you have to dress up, whatever you already have should be good. Any brand is fine, just try to find something comfortable. No one is gonna care if youre wearing old navy vs cole haan

Plan on wearing professional looking pants (khakis at a minimum, suit pants are great), button up long sleeve collared dress shirt, tie with tie clip, dress shoes and your white coat. Otherwise it’s scrubs, tennis shoes, white coat. Assume it’s the former unless explicitly told it’s not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khakis with a button up shirt is fine, +/- a tie depending on the service you are on and your hospital culture. Our hospital made us wear ties as medical students. Any dressy type shoes are fine with the business casual attire. Some services may also allow or require you wear scrubs. Any close-toed shoes including runners, casual shoes, skateboarding shoes etc. are fine if you are wearing scrubs. If you are unsure what to wear I would play it safe and wear the khakis/button up and then can just change into hospital scrubs if your resident or attending gives the go-ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
Armani.

Or just khakis and a nice shirt.

But I’d go with Armani.

If you are currently wearing sweats to class, you need some professional help: nothing you pick out on your own will be close to correct. Find somebody in your class to help you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are currently wearing sweats to class, you need some professional help: nothing you pick out on your own will be close to correct. Find somebody in your class to help you.

Wait what. What’s wrong with this.

Reactions: 6 users
Basically this (minus the jacket): https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...BOOST SAVED SET&searchPass=matchNone&slotId=2

You can find decent men's wear for a good price at pretty much at any store.

Don't overthink it, but.....:
  • Avoid pleated pants
  • Make sure the pants aren't too long or too short. If you like a pair of pants but they're too long, you can always get them tailored
  • Please don't wear white athletic socks
  • Keep in mind shirts come in different body sizes and neck sizes
  • Watch for the pins stuck in shirts
  • If you end up buying an entire suit that includes the jacket, please, for the love of god, take out the big 'X' sewn into the back of the jacket
  • Iron your clothes before you wear them
Also keep in mind that business attire for men is very simple. You could probably just get a couple of pants, a couple of shirts, and several ties and just change out the ties everyday. No one would notice (or care).

usually scrubs work fine

if you have to dress up, whatever you already have should be good. Any brand is fine, just try to find something comfortable. No one is gonna care if youre wearing old navy vs cole haan
I would never assume scrubs are fine unless you 100% are meeting at/going to the OR.

Who knew Chuck Bass posted on SDN?

Reactions: 4 users
Wait what. What’s wrong with this.

I commonly would wear leggings and a hoodie to class. I didn’t care, comfort mattered more. I dress fine for my clerkships and get compliments on my clothes.

That comment was sooo off base :laugh:
I dont see the problem either

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wearing sweat pants in public is completely unacceptable and screams “I have no respect for myself”

I don’t own a single pair and would have an issue dating someone who does.

I hate them.

HATE them.

Wearing sweat pants in public is completely unacceptable and screams “I have no respect for myself”

I hate them.

HATE them.

Okay well you hating them fortunately has no relevance on whether or not they are actually acceptable to wear in public. They also have no bearing on whether or not you’re able to dress yourself appropriately in a professional setting.

Reactions: 9 users

I hate them.

HATE them.

Also, I’m wearing sweatpants in an airport right now and having a great time in case anyone was curious :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
If you own sweatpants, then you objectively can’t dress yourself professionally. Period.

If you own sweatpants, then you objectively can’t dress yourself professionally. Period.

CReyprY.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

Okay then.

You know, people can wear them as pajamas? Is that an issue now? Or wait! To the gym?

Reactions: 1 users
My philosophy is that you're putting on a full suit but replacing the jacket with your white coat. It shouldn't be a shock that this involves at least *some* color matching. I'm amazed at how many blue shirt with green ties or with black pants with brown shoes-looks I've seen.

Also, some tips (and again, these are totally just my own opinions and are not rule by any means):

1.) If you're wearing a tie, regular tie >>> bow tie, just trust me on this
2.) Tie bar helps if you are moving around a good deal or having to lean over and examine patients
3.) Try your best to avoid dress shirts that are really bright and fluorescent colors, youd be surprised at how many guys in my class come in looking like they're going to prom...
4.) Don't go overboard with the quirky socks

You'll do great. Look good, feel good amirite?

1st day; Dress to impress.
2nd week: Ditch the tie.
3rd week: Replace dress shoes with Sperrys.
4th week: Replace dress shirt with button-up Hawaiians, bonus points for Tommy Bahamas. Obviously short sleeve.

3.) Try your best to avoid dress shirts that are really bright and fluorescent colors, youd be surprised at how many guys in my class come in looking like they're going to prom...

I would take that a step further and say don’t wear any bold solid colored shirt. I’m amazed at how many guys wear bold solid purple, deep blue, maroon, black, and red shirts.

Would you wear a pumpkin orange shirt? How about banana yellow? None of the other bold solid colors are ok either.

I would take that a step further and say don’t wear any bold solid colored shirt. I’m amazed at how many guys wear bold solid purple, deep blue, maroon, black, and red shirts.

Would you wear a pumpkin orange shirt? How about banana yellow? None of the other bold solid colors are ok either.
How do you even make it through the day with all these people grinding your gears left and right

Reactions: 4 users

Eh, at the beginning of third year, I stuck with the white dress shirt, tie, and khakis for rotations. About halfway through third-year, though, I realized that most attendings didn’t care as long as I looked nice and professional, so I started dressing in solid colored shirts, including purples and pinks, with the occasional sweater vest or cardigan as well. In fourth year, I only had two rotations where scrubs weren’t the norm. In one, I got away with nice clothes and a pair of nice, leather sneakers. The other one, the attending preferred men to go with the shirt and tie, so I reverted back to the white shirt, bland tie, and khakis (something which annoyed me to no end since the attending had no issue rounding in a pair of nice jeans, but whatever). The way I see it, it all depends on attending preference; most, in my experience, don’t care much as long as you’re dressed professionally enough for patient comfort.

And to answer your questions, yes, I’d wear one of those if they happened to work with the rest of what I’m wearing.

How do you even make it through the day with all these people grinding your gears left and right

I can handle the occasional poorly dressed med student wearing old wrinkled khakis with a black belt, solid maroon shirt with a solid black tie and black square toed shoes with white athletic socks.

But I typically don't see sweatpants on my peers at works. I try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible because I know the onslaught of sweatpants with a muffin-top and whale tail is inevitable. Makes me feel ill. Total travesty when an attractive person dresses like this.

Loathe isn't a strong enough word for my feelings towards sweatpants. Abhor with extreme horror maybe.

Maybe I should move to germany.

I can handle the occasional poorly dressed med student wearing old wrinkled khakis with a black belt, solid maroon shirt with a solid black tie and black square toed shoes with white athletic socks.

But I typically don't see sweatpants on my peers at works. I try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible because I know the onslaught of sweatpants with a muffin-top and whale tail is inevitable. Makes me feel ill. Total travesty when an attractive person dresses like this.

Loathe isn't a strong enough word for my feelings towards sweatpants. Abhor with extreme horror maybe.

Maybe I should move to germany.

What's your opinion on snuggies?