Men's fashion advice for interviews--shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple threads about interview clothes (mostly about suits), but my question is about shoes. My suit is conservative (navy), and I'm thinking about picking up a really nice pair of shoes that I found online. They are high quality and nice looking, but they have a strap and not traditional lace up. They aren't flashy or anything ridiculous by any means, but I know the strap is considered a bit contemporary for interviews. What do you think? Definite problem or could work? What is everyone else wearing?

Members don't see this ad.

Wahina said:
I've seen a couple threads about interview clothes (mostly about suits), but my question is about shoes. My suit is conservative (navy), and I'm thinking about picking up a really nice pair of shoes that I found online. They are high quality and nice looking, but they have a strap and not traditional lace up. They aren't flashy or anything ridiculous by any means, but I know the strap is considered a bit contemporary for interviews. What do you think? Definite problem or could work? What is everyone else wearing?
I'm wearing red socks. And nothing else.

I am not much on fashion advice, but this cannot be emphasized enough: wear comfortable shoes! I bought some nice looking shoes, but they're killing me on every interview. I have to double sock my feet to prevent them from getting cut up. Make sure they look decent, but make sure they're as comfortable as possible (as can be expected for dressed shoes, I guess).

Just thought I'd throw that in!

Members don't see this ad :)
EnergyShotz said:
I am not much on fashion advice, but this cannot be emphasized enough: wear comfortable shoes!!

Exactly. For that reason I would strongly advice against buying shoes online.

On a more serious note, I doubt if they'll care about the style of your shoes. They're just going to get a general impression of you: professional or not. Chill out and good luck.

I have big feet so it's hard for me to buy shoes in a store without spending days looking around. The internet is really the only viable option, especially if I want to find a good deal. I'm actually wearing red socks too, because they match my tie.

SitraAchra said:
Navy suit w/ red socks? No sir!

Haha, not really. It would be quite a look though.

I recommend cowboy boots, they will give you an aura of confidence.

Gavanshir said:
I recommend cowboy boots, they will give you an aura of confidence.

You might be onto something there....I've had two surgical consults the past month and both ortho docs were wearing boots. I have to say I thought it looked badass.

On a serious note, I recommend keeping a couple of Band-Aids in your wallet. After going on a one-hour walking tour of a teaching hospital, if your shoes start digging into your heels, just slap a couple of band-aids on to ease the pain. Trust me on this one. ;)

what ever you do make sure your shoes have laces, it is considered not proper to wear strapped shoes,

Members don't see this ad :)
NapeSpikes said:
On a serious note, I recommend keeping a couple of Band-Aids in your wallet. After going on a one-hour walking tour of a teaching hospital, if your shoes start digging into your heels, just slap a couple of band-aids on to ease the pain. Trust me on this one. ;)

Knowing what shoes irritate certain parts of my feet - I duct tape them to prevent blisters. Old hiking tip - much better than bandaids.

Don't wear shoes with buckles IMO... suit AND shoes should be conservative. Also, the clothes you wear need to make sense together. You wouldn't wear a conservative suit, shirt, tie and then shoes that are flashy.

Good call with the conserv. navy though, I've seen some people on here suggest some crazy stuff (D&G slim cut suits, pinstripes, etc.)

Go with something like these:
10527852.jpg

shoes_pm5002555.jpg

It's all about mole skin for blister prevention.

which store(s) have good, affordable dress shoes?

i always like the stuff at dillards - kenneth cole reaction has that young look but i find it dressy/conservative, gets the job done!

SitraAchra said:
i always like the stuff at dillards - kenneth cole reaction has that young look but i find it dressy/conservative, gets the job done!
They also have Kenneth Cole Unlisted which are a cheaper alternative.

(As you can see from the pics, I am a fan of Kenneth Cole. They are dressy but also comfy)

Flip flops. Definitely Flip flops. Schools like applicants with confidence... only the most confident applicants can pull off flip flops.

yrodri15 said:
Flip flops. Definitely Flip flops. Schools like applicants with confidence... only the most confident applicants can pull off flip flops.

If I see anybody wear flip flops to their interview I will step on their toes.

You have been warned!

:laugh:

Could you imagine that? How fast would they ask you to leave? lol....

yrodri15 said:
:laugh:

Could you imagine that? How fast would they ask you to leave? lol....

Who? The one wearing the flip flops or me stepping on their toes? :laugh:

littleroo said:
Also, I'd really consider not wearing black shoes with the navy suit. It's an old fashion law that is so frequently broken that it probably doesn't matter anymore, but I always notice when people do that. IMO it looks tacky.

I don't think you can wear anything but black with a navy suit and not look foppish. You can't wear navy pants and a black shirt or anything like that, but navy suit/black shoes is totally acceptable.

Wahina said:
I don't think you can wear anything but black with a navy suit and not look foppish. You can't wear navy pants and a black shirt or anything like that, but navy suit/black shoes is totally acceptable.

Navy? Navy is overrated. Go for black and don't try any stunts lol.
If you REALLY want to go conservative, black suit, blue shirt.

yrodri15 said:
Navy? Navy is overrated. Go for black and don't try any stunts lol.
If you REALLY want to go conservative, black suit, blue shirt.

I think people have different opinions, but you can't go wrong with navy, black, or charcoal. Some would say with black you run the risk of looking to formal.

Wahina said:

Burgundy leather was actually the preferred choice with navy suits well before black became a popular option. Both are acceptable, and burgundy is actually the more conservative look. Black most likely became acceptable with blue suits because it made things cheaper...people didn't have to have multiple pairs of shoes for multiple suits.

Really, as long as the shoes aren't white or blinged out with some tacky gold buckle, it shouldn't matter. Shoes shouldn't really make a statement or be noticed with a conservative suit. They should just blend in.

Wahina said:
I think people have different opinions, but you can't go wrong with navy, black, or charcoal. Some would say with black you run the risk of looking to formal.

how about black w/ pinstripes??? too much style?

Comrade said:
how about black w/ pinstripes??? too much style?
Fine if you're going to a mobster interview :laugh:

Plain navy or dark blue/almost black is the safest bet and from what I've seen, they are what most people wear. Black is more for top-level execs, you know, a power suit. This is only a med school interview. Save the black for Chief of Surgery interviews. ;)

EnergyShotz said:
I am not much on fashion advice, but this cannot be emphasized enough: wear comfortable shoes! I bought some nice looking shoes, but they're killing me on every interview. I have to double sock my feet to prevent them from getting cut up. Make sure they look decent, but make sure they're as comfortable as possible (as can be expected for dressed shoes, I guess).

Just thought I'd throw that in!

I agree 100%!! My shoes look great, but they are destroying my heels. Uhhh. Wear sneaks, I swear a girl at one of my interviews did this and no one said anything negative her.