Men's Interview Clothing #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but thot isn't to soy it is bod. Oh, one of my keybord buttons doesn't work.

The best thing bout wingtips is tht they reduce the mount of formlity. Just like check shirts, windowpne suits, etc. You cn still look ridiculously dpper in these items.

There re good wys of reducing formlity such s check shirts. THen there re wful wys of doing it like wering bright neon green shirts or sturted red shirts (both of which I often will see on cmpus).

You're gonn hve to put the letter "ey" in proper plces to red this. Sorry. Removing the letter "ey" reduces the formility of this post.

Agreed. Stylish =/= formal and often being stylish for an occasion requires being more or less formal as desired :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Just picked up an amazing Theory suit from bloomingdales. I got the suit and some new shoes for $690 after a 40% discount!

Unfortunately, the dry cleaner ripped my suit (which I had worn 0.00 times :thumbdown:). The rip is in the waist, so I was able to make do with a belt for an interview I had after it happened, but now I'm in the market for a new one for upcoming interviews. Since there was only one of the suit that I bought, I'm going to be getting something different. Last one was charcoal, but I'm attracted to lighter shades of grey, as well. Is something like this...

_6212432.jpg

Interview-appropriate? Too light? Any thoughts?

(I'm not really looking at this suit specifically, just the color)
I like it. Get it tailored.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: yellow. I vote no.

Re: belt with wingtips. Isn't the general rule to just go darker than the shoe? You can also go without a belt if the pants fir appropriately.

Rant of the moment: Guys, please stop swimming in the legs of your pants. They are not supposed to be baggy, and if you are sitting down and I don't see sock, they are probably too long. When you walk they should not reach the bottom of your shoe, nor should they bunch up around the ankle.

Re: yellow. I vote no.

Re: belt with wingtips. Isn't the general rule to just go darker than the shoe? You can also go without a belt if the pants fir appropriately.

If it has belt tabs, it needs belt. The rule is that they should match in color and material. I think they should be close enough.

In fact, I think breaking this rule completely is better with a cloth belt made of heavy canvas twill in a light gray with a light leather tip where the belt's holes are punched.

1526101-01.jpg

Unfortunately, the dry cleaner ripped my suit (which I had worn 0.00 times :thumbdown:). The rip is in the waist, so I was able to make do with a belt for an interview I had after it happened, but now I'm in the market for a new one for upcoming interviews. Since there was only one of the suit that I bought, I'm going to be getting something different. Last one was charcoal, but I'm attracted to lighter shades of grey, as well. Is something like this...

_6212432.jpg

Interview-appropriate? Too light? Any thoughts?

(I'm not really looking at this suit specifically, just the color)

What company makes this suit? I like it a lot. And have some extra money to spend...

What company makes this suit? I like it a lot. And have some extra money to spend...

I got the picture from the Nordstrom website. It's their own brand, Calibrate, I believe.

I got the picture from the Nordstrom website. It's their own brand, Calibrate, I believe.

These photos are heavily photoshopped. Be careful. Your results may vary. Also, the suit is probably pinned in the back with a dozen safety pins in various locations.

Another common practice is to cut the shirt sleeve so that it sits at the right length regardless of what position his arms/hands happen to be in.

Why are you taking suits that have not been worn to the dry cleaner? I have suits I've worn for years that have never seen a dry cleaner or any harsh solvents. Take the suit, brush it. Then turn it inside out and steam it.

Unfortunately, steaming a fused suit probably isn't advised. Sorry, I forgot you guys don't buy bespoke suits with a floating canvas. Are solvents and glue a good combination when it comes to dry cleaning? Never bothered to figure that out.

Sorry I was no help.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These photos are heavily photoshopped. Be careful. Your results may vary. Also, the suit is probably pinned in the back with a dozen safety pins in various locations.

Another common practice is to cut the shirt sleeve so that it sits at the right length regardless of what position his arms/hands happen to be in.

Why are you taking suits that have not been worn to the dry cleaner? I have suits I've worn for years that have never seen a dry cleaner or any harsh solvents. Take the suit, brush it. Then turn it inside out and steam it.

Unfortunately, steaming a fused suit probably isn't advised. Sorry, I forgot you guys don't buy bespoke suits with a floating canvas. Are solvents and glue a good combination when it comes to dry cleaning? Never bothered to figure that out.

Sorry I was no help.

I took it in not to get dry cleaned, but to have them work on getting a few stubborn creases/wrinkles out. I figured they offered a professional service for this for a few bucks, why not let them have at it. Instead, they dry cleaned it and somewhere along the way they used a machine in which the waistband got snarled in and ripped.

I took it back to them and they made an attempt at repairing it but it was totally shoddy, so they're buying the suit. Won't make that mistake again.

interviewing for residency...

got a navy suit after having black for med school interviews (do not really like the suit anymore) and was looking at vappos tonight for some brown shoes. I really like the lighter brown with navy suits but is this only a wedding/formal party thing or can I wear a lighter brown with the navy for interviews?

I liked these:

spendy (long term investment), light color

http://vip.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-mcallister-walnut-calf

leather too course on these? formal enough? I was thinking about how stupid it would be to walk around interviewing in the snow all winter with no tread and these looked good:

http://vip.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-winslow-cap-toe-brown-grain-waterproof

these looked cool but too much heal?

http://vip.zappos.com/kenneth-cole-new-york-para-regal-cognac-leather

cheaper option:

http://vip.zappos.com/stacy-adams-welling-brown

well, seems you guy are all into the fashion rules in here so I thought I would hit you up for advice. Remember...be nice, I could be your attending or senior resident some day:rolleyes::laugh:

Can someone please clarify for me what the proper break (if any) is?

EVERY time I get pants hemmed they doggedly insist on too much of a break. The pants on my last suit (RIP) were left way too long, and bunched like crazy at the ankle, so they looked baggy and sloppier than they should have. Just bought a new suit and the tailor and salesperson practically forced me to get a full break, despite me asking for less.

Can someone please clarify for me what the proper break (if any) is?

EVERY time I get pants hemmed they doggedly insist on too much of a break. The pants on my last suit (RIP) were left way too long, and bunched like crazy at the ankle, so they looked baggy and sloppier than they should have. Just bought a new suit and the tailor and salesperson practically forced me to get a full break, despite me asking for less.

Almost none. When standing, pants should just brush the top of the shoe. If some break is present, it's okay.

For me, I like absolutely no break and don't care if socks are showing. THis is why it helps to have nice socks and nice shoes.

American salesmen are trying to appease Americans. If they went with little break, they'd get more complaints than compliments. So instead of no break or little break, or full break, they go with Toyota brakes. Which is to say lots and lots of break for the worst possible effects.

Almost none. When standing, pants should just brush the top of the shoe. If some break is present, it's okay.

For me, I like absolutely no break and don't care if socks are showing. THis is why it helps to have nice socks and nice shoes.

American salesmen are trying to appease Americans. If they went with little break, they'd get more complaints than compliments. So instead of no break or little break, or full break, they go with Toyota brakes. Which is to say lots and lots of break for the worst possible effects.

Thank you, that's what I figured. I tried to strike a compromise with a medium break, but they were so passionately opposed to anything other than a full, to-the-ground break, I gave in and just let them know that I will probably be asking them to take it up further when I try them on again. Not sure why everyone is so insistent on this issue.

Thank you, that's what I figured. I tried to strike a compromise with a medium break, but they were so passionately opposed to anything other than a full, to-the-ground break, I gave in and just let them know that I will probably be asking them to take it up further when I try them on again. Not sure why everyone is so insistent on this issue.
Same problem here. Had as salesperson tell me that I should get full break because I'm tall and so my socks will show a lot when I walk. Got them to do medium, but prefer light break. Also, the tailor I took my jacket to yesterday insisted on only showing 1/8 to 1/4" of cuff, even though I greatly prefer about 1/3 to 1/2" (if it comes out properly, I will be pleased, but I try to go safe when trying a new tailor with my more expensive suit...)

Can anyone explain the quality difference between the Jos. A. Bank Signature Gold and their Traveler's Suit lines? Obviously the former is about twice the price of the latter, but other than that is it worth upgrading? I already own a dark gray and a navy Traveler suit (the navy one is still unaltered, so I can probably keep it to use in a couple years), but would it make enough of a difference to be worth buying a Sig. Gold later?

Can anyone explain the quality difference between the Jos. A. Bank Signature Gold and their Traveler's Suit lines? Obviously the former is about twice the price of the latter, but other than that is it worth upgrading? I already own a dark gray and a navy Traveler suit (the navy one is still unaltered, so I can probably keep it to use in a couple years), but would it make enough of a difference to be worth buying a Sig. Gold later?
Sig. Gold is worth it if ~=<$2-300 (clearance). Their signature suits are usually best bang for buck. I have one executive and one sig. gold. The sig gold is noticeably better in construction, drape, hand, etc.

Just bought a topcoat from jos btw. Not the absolute best price from them, but needed it this week. =\

Last edited:
p1040885k.jpg

the one i bought that look similar to this is Fendi - made in italy. found it at a century 21. it was a pretty expensive tie even with the discounted price

I believe the traveler's line has a slimmer cut than the sig gold, but the sig gold is better quality.

the Joseph line is both slim and good quality but almost never "discounted"

forgot to mention, don't wear the vests even if it comes with one

men's wearhouse also has the versini suits on discount, but it doesn't have side vents or ticket pockets, although it's 100% wool

forgot to mention, don't wear the vests even if it comes with one

:confused:

because adcoms will frown on it? because it's not uber-conservative interview apparel? rubbish. or do you have experience with the vests (ie, they're no good for some other reason)?

i saw a guy wearing one a couple weeks ago for an interview here. he looked very dapper. he was marching around on a tour and the whole group was wearing black, every single one, including him. guess who the standout was?

also, the cut of a jacket can come off as not right if it isn't with its vest buddy. they were designed as a unit, you know.

because adcoms will frown on it? because it's not uber-conservative interview apparel? rubbish. or do you have experience with the vests (ie, they're no good for some other reason)?

i saw a guy wearing one a couple weeks ago for an interview here. he looked very dapper. he was marching around on a tour and the whole group was wearing black, every single one, including him. guess who the standout was?

also, the cut of a jacket can come off as not right if it isn't with its vest buddy. they were designed as a unit, you know.

Hey gravitywave, thanks for coming to the defense of the 3-piece suit. This is my personal favorite, and I agree that they can indeed look sharp if everything is properly fitted--vests can be surprisingly difficult to get fitted correctly.

In addition to the overall look, I like vests because I don't like buttoning up my coat. With the coat unbuttoned, I feel more relaxed and less uptight, but the vest seems to keep things looking formal enough. On my interviews, I only encountered one other guy out of probably 30 wearing a 3-piece. I also encountered the following: a theme tie with cartoon characters and black high top basketball type shoes, so scarcity doesn't always equal refinement. Of the three unusual occurrences, I'd prefer to stand out with the 3-piece.

vests on most cheap suits look ******ed. For instance, take a look at the link I posted.

If the whole group was wearing black, guess what's one way to look slightly different besides a vest and looking overly pretentious?

vests on most cheap suits look ******ed. For instance, take a look at the link I posted.

If the whole group was wearing black, guess what's one way to look slightly different besides a vest and looking overly pretentious?

OK, so you were making a statement about those suits. Otherwise, I suppose we can agree to disagree.

I also encountered the following: a theme tie with cartoon characters and black high top basketball type shoes, so scarcity doesn't always equal refinement. Of the three unusual occurrences, I'd prefer to stand out with the 3-piece.

I don't own a 3-piece myself, but I do sometimes find myself drooling over the ones in the BB catalog. Something about fall always says "vests" to me.

you know, someone ought to start a thread for stories about unfortunate style choices people have witnessed on the interview trail ;) trouble is, i can't go first. Nothing really memorable happened, aside from some pretty questionable color choices. I think one time i saw a guy wear white tube socks with his dres shoes... nothing like you described.

If your legs are disproportionately large in comparison to your waist, what is the best route to go to end up with well-fitting pants? I have to look like a slob most of the time because of this problem, but I don't want my interview to be one of those times.

as in, you've been doing squats and you have outlandishly large legs to fit into a pair of trousers? you'll have to try stuff on to make sure it has enough room in the thighs and butt. then your tailor can take things from there. "slim" fits might not be for you. I had this same problem last year, actually - but school has cut into my cycling time.

Last edited:
Side vents are ugly, ticket pockets should only be worn on a bespoke suit.

Side vents are not ugly. The best part of the side vent is that it looks best when walking and moving. Works best on non-fat people.

Makes people look like they're wearing a diaper.

Like I said, probably has something to do with being rotund.

Ticket pockets should only be worn on a bespoke suit? The only advantage bespoke gives is that things fit better. A ticket pocket on a well-fitting non-bespoke suit will still look good if you like that look.

The ticket pocket adds asymmetry. The extra pocket there simply draws your eyes to a well proportioned waist. Also works best on non-fat people.

Actually, things tend to work best on non-fat people.

The problem with three piece suits is not what the extra vest does in terms of looks or what it means. The problem with the vest is that it complicates the look. And if you're going to complicate the look, you better make damn sure that all the details are perfect. In short, it raises the bar. It is the equivalent of a gymnastics routine's level of difficulty. Pull it off and you get high marks. But if you're going to attempt it, you better make sure you know what you're doing because you'll crash and burn and look ridiculous. It will add extra scrutiny and the extra scrutiny won't be directed at the waistcoat alone. You better have a pocket square, show linen, have proper break, proper tie length, proper collar fit, etc.

The three piece suit is something best left for bespoke suitmakers. Or if you're going to wear the waistcoat with jeans, it only works if you're a member of the Jonas brothers.

Bad things I see on campus:
A ridiculously hip green, gray, purple plaid suit. Something young hipsters would wear. I also see lots of white socks. The other thing I see a lot is argyle ties. Ties and shirts that match exactly in color (a la Regis Philbin). Black construction boots disguised as dress shoes. Outrageously large suits on a particular kid who likes baggy clothes. Bad waistcoats that are worn without the jacket and that don't match the pants.

Last edited:
I was too lazy to point out his flaws lol so settled on analogy instead. Great explanations.

Plus with side vent you can put your hands in your pocket without looking like an apple

Side vents are not ugly. The best part of the side vent is that it looks best when walking and moving. Works best on non-fat people.

Like I said, probably has something to do with being rotund.

Ticket pockets should only be worn on a bespoke suit? The only advantage bespoke gives is that things fit better. A ticket pocket on a well-fitting non-bespoke suit will still look good if you like that look.

The ticket pocket adds asymmetry. The extra pocket there simply draws your eyes to a well proportioned waist. Also works best on non-fat people.

Actually, things tend to work best on non-fat people.

The problem with three piece suits is not what the extra vest does in terms of looks or what it means. The problem with the vest is that it complicates the look. And if you're going to complicate the look, you better make damn sure that all the details are perfect. In short, it raises the bar. It is the equivalent of a gymnastics routine's level of difficulty. Pull it off and you get high marks. But if you're going to attempt it, you better make sure you know what you're doing because you'll crash and burn and look ridiculous. It will add extra scrutiny and the extra scrutiny won't be directed at the waistcoat alone. You better have a pocket square, show linen, have proper break, proper tie length, proper collar fit, etc.

The three piece suit is something best left for bespoke suitmakers. Or if you're going to wear the waistcoat with jeans, it only works if you're a member of the Jonas brothers.

Bad things I see on campus:
A ridiculously hip green, gray, purple plaid suit. Something young hipsters would wear. I also see lots of white socks. The other thing I see a lot is argyle ties. Ties and shirts that match exactly in color (a la Regis Philbin). Black construction boots disguised as dress shoes. Outrageously large suits on a particular kid who likes baggy clothes. Bad waistcoats that are worn without the jacket and that don't match the pants.

Sig. Gold is worth it if ~=<$2-300 (clearance). Their signature suits are usually best bang for buck. I have one executive and one sig. gold. The sig gold is noticeably better in construction, drape, hand, etc.

Just bought a topcoat from jos btw. Not the absolute best price from them, but needed it this week. =\

surprise! JAB.

Sig gold and executive have fat cuts. Only line that has decent cut is Joseph suits but those almost never discounted. Travelor Tailored Fit is slightly better than their sig/exec.

Consider hitting the gym

surprise! JAB.

Sig gold and executive have fat cuts. Only line that has decent cut is Joseph suits but those almost never discounted. Travelor Tailored Fit is slightly better than their sig/exec.

Consider hitting the gym

Har har you're so cool you called me fat. You sound like the cool med student who talks mad **** but never backs it up when called out cuz "imma be a healer, dude."

I could also get a tailor. Strange concept.

I'd buy a suit elsewhere if I had my own money, but for now, it's what my dad wants to buy, and my dad trusts jos for some reason. (not my choice) This fact neither disqualifies my opinion nor discounts the fact that it's still a good suit for the money, regardless.

Plus with side vent you can put your hands in your pocket without looking like an apple
If your center vent suit is made from anything decent, you shouldn't have that problem. Why are your hands in your pockets anyway?

The last two people I saw wearing side vents were in great shape. Has nothing to do with the size of their undersized asses. I actually prefer side vent from in front, because it's made to lie more flat... that's the purpose, no?

The bespoke thing is because it seems "fake" to me otherwise--it's not a common suiting staple and should show (at least, imo) that you requested it added onto the suit as part of the construction process.

Side vents are just as good for sitting as they are for walking.

What is side vent from in front?

Har har you're so cool you called me fat. You sound like the cool med student who talks mad **** but never backs it up when called out cuz "imma be a healer, dude."

I could also get a tailor. Strange concept.

I'd buy a suit elsewhere if I had my own money, but for now, it's what my dad wants to buy, and my dad trusts jos for some reason. (not my choice) This fact neither disqualifies my opinion nor discounts the fact that it's still a good suit for the money, regardless.

If your center vent suit is made from anything decent, you shouldn't have that problem. Why are your hands in your pockets anyway?

The last two people I saw wearing side vents were in great shape. Has nothing to do with the size of their undersized asses. I actually prefer side vent from in front, because it's made to lie more flat... that's the purpose, no?

The bespoke thing is because it seems "fake" to me otherwise--it's not a common suiting staple and should show (at least, imo) that you requested it added onto the suit as part of the construction process.

Why buy a fat cut (there's a reason it's "executive", they are usually apple shaped) with the intent of massive tailoring when you can get a slimmer cut with minor tailoring? Sucks that your dad picks out where you can buy suits from, AND getting you the executive/sig cuts instead of travelor tailored fit or Joseph lines

I assumed you were overweight because of the suits you bought, if you aren't then good for you. And yes, I'm going to be a healer, dude. Hopefully.

Hey guys, a quick question.
I don't know whether I should buy a new charcoal/ navy suit (~$300 w/o tailoring) or just tailor my 5-years-old, black, 4-buttoned suit (tailoring would cost me about $70). As for the old suit, the shoulders fit pretty well but the coat is a bit roomy for today's slim standard. The problem really is the pants. It's high rise, baggy, and long. I'm not sure if tailoring can rescue this suit. But at the same time, I'm hesitant to invest in a suit just for interviews when in my heart, I really want to get a TaT suit, which I can't get because my interview is only two weeks away.

Hey guys, a quick question.
I don't know whether I should buy a new charcoal/ navy suit (~$300 w/o tailoring) or just tailor my 5-years-old, black, 4-buttoned suit (tailoring would cost me about $70). As for the old suit, the shoulders fit pretty well but the coat is a bit roomy for today's slim standard. The problem really is the pants. It's high rise, baggy, and long. I'm not sure if tailoring can rescue this suit. But at the same time, I'm hesitant to invest in a suit just for interviews when in my heart, I really want to get a TaT suit, which I can't get because my interview is only two weeks away.

You need a new suit. The 5 year old suit you describe sounds like you bought a 10 year old suit 5 years ago.

4 buttons is 2 buttons too many for something that will be classic for a 100 years or more.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I haven't read this thread recently, but just wanted to chime in with my experiences from interviews.

1) The trend is for tighter "italian cut" suits with skinny ties.

2) Waaaaaay too much black out there. I'd go for navy. Skip the grey - it looks nicer but it's not serious enough for this occasion.

3) Don't be afriad to splurge. Just get the one that makes you feel like $1,000,000 bucks. It's worth it. as one poster said when I read this thread months ago, you are applying for an elite seat of American education.

come to think of it, splurge throughout this process. Don't stay at the crappy hotels. rent a car instead of using a shuttle. For example, for one interview, I found a 5 star hotel for only $20 more than the cheapest hotel. I booked a full size rental - and was upgraded to a mustang convertible when they ran out of full size rentals. I can't tell you how valuable waking up in the morning, brushing your teeth in a completely marble-covered bathroom the size of my living room (it even had a bidet :laugh: ), putting on a suit that I know looks better than anyone else's, and hopping into my mustang dukes of hazard style is when heading into a stressful interview.

Kick some ass, gentlemen!!!!

Attachments

• james-bond-bmw-z8_msp.jpg
    james-bond-bmw-z8_msp.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 118
:laugh:Nice tip for sure. By the way, what ya think about this Jos. A. Bank Men's Executive 3-Button Center Vent Wool Suit ? Is it nice suit for interview? Any other nice options?

I don't mean to be harsh, but since you're asking what _I_ think, I think it's.... not ideal. The style is at least 5 years old, probably 10.

Here is a GQ article from 2007 that I found helpful - I think I found it earlier on this thread:

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200705/how-to-perfect-business-wardrobe

Keep in mind, this was the cutting edge of fashion 3.5 years ago. The styles today are slightly slimmer, skinnier tie, peak lapels. Just because I'm watching him right now, even Anderson Cooper, someone who you expect would dress a little more conservatively being an anchorman on a major network, seems to be embracing this trend.

At the end of the day, what matters is what YOU think, not me, since you'll be the one in the interview. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.