Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Menstrual flow onset caused by?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by m25, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. m25

m25

Pre-Medical
    Does decreased level of estrogen alone during the luteal phase cause the onset of menstrual flow, or is it the decreased level of both estrogen and progesterone that causes the onset of menstrual flow?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tdod

tdod 2+ Year Member

I am not sure about this, but my understanding is that E & P are high during the luteal phase b/c they are being secreted by the corpus luteum. however, the corpus luteum eventually dies (unless pregnancy occurs) and ceases to secrete E & P. Progesterone is important for encouraging the endometrium to continue growing; I would assume that, without progesterone, the endometrium is shed.

4. Hadi7183

Hadi7183 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    @tdod is right. Progesterone is essential for the maintenance of endometrium ; reduced progesterone level --> menstruation.

About the ads