mental health and medicine question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppleseedCast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make an excessively long story much more short and bearable, I currently suspect that I suffer from some form of ADD and affect/emotional disorder. The ADD aspect, I'm not so sure of; however, I have been doing a great deal of reading up on the topic as well as talking with others who have disclosed to me their affliction with the disorder. On top of this suspicion, I've always been chronically bipolar with an underlying feeling of dysthymia but have never seeked an official diagnosis or treatment. Lately, I've been considering seeking help for these conditions which make my quality of life much worse than what i think it could be. My question is, however, will having such a thing on my medical records affect my potential career in medicine? I'm terribly afraid that seeking diagnoses and treatments for these conditions will mess up my goals and dreams in the long run. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you very much!
- appleseedcast

Members don't see this ad.

AppleseedCast said:
To make an excessively long story much more short and bearable, I currently suspect that I suffer from some form of ADD and affect/emotional disorder. The ADD aspect, I'm not so sure of; however, I have been doing a great deal of reading up on the topic as well as talking with others who have disclosed to me their affliction with the disorder. On top of this suspicion, I've always been chronically bipolar with an underlying feeling of dysthymia but have never seeked an official diagnosis or treatment. Lately, I've been considering seeking help for these conditions which make my quality of life much worse than what i think it could be. My question is, however, will having such a thing on my medical records affect my potential career in medicine? I'm terribly afraid that seeking diagnoses and treatments for these conditions will mess up my goals and dreams in the long run. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank you very much!
- appleseedcast

Umm... no. It won't be an issue. In terms of obtaining a license, even if they found out about it, it would be seen as a positive step that you went and got help and got things under control. The much larger risk would be if you don't seek help and your condition worsens to the point where you can't function.

By the way, I would be careful about self-diagnosing. Many of the conditions you're naming cannot be easily distinguished from other mental illinesses, and it really does take a professional who gets to know how you think to sort it all out.