Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (MHNP) verses Psy.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chevelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all.

To all who can answer this question i am truly grateful. I will post this same question in the [Psy.D/Ph.D] forum also. Here is the question. My brother is doing his psych residency right now in New York and he has been telling me that he sees a lot of PsyDs and LCSW working in the same hospital. I asked if he has seen any Psych Nurse Practitioners. Unfortunately he has not. Correct me if i am wrong but don't Psych Nurse Practitioners do more than a Psyd Practitioner. I have been reading curriculums of Psych Nurse programs and i have to admit they are really impressive.

I hope this doesn't start any arguments. I just would really like to know more info so i can make a right decision.

Thanks
Chevelle

Members don't see this ad.

psych np's and pa's can prescribe medication as they have their own dea #s.
pa's can do specialty residencies in psych: http://www.psychiatricpa.com/
psyd folks focus on counseling/therapy and don't rx( in the majority of situations).

Hello to all.

To all who can answer this question i am truly grateful. I will post this same question in the [Psy.D/Ph.D] forum also. Here is the question. My brother is doing his psych residency right now in New York and he has been telling me that he sees a lot of PsyDs and LCSW working in the same hospital. I asked if he has seen any Psych Nurse Practitioners. Unfortunately he has not. Correct me if i am wrong but don't Psych Nurse Practitioners do more than a Psyd Practitioner. I have been reading curriculums of Psych Nurse programs and i have to admit they are really impressive.

I hope this doesn't start any arguments. I just would really like to know more info so i can make a right decision.

Thanks
Chevelle

I would actually post this in the psychiatry forum, as you might get a better response.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsyD is one of 2 Doctoral options in Psychology... in Kansas at least, Psychologists do not have prescriptive authority. They do psychometric testing and interpretation, consulting with Psychiatry, do evals for capacity (formerly known as competency), practice clinically in hospitals, clinics, prisons, etc. NP's mostly do med checks and some consulting work in my area (the conservative Midwest) where Psychiatrists rule. I am a Psych ARNP, but thankfully got out while the getting was good.

PsyD is one of 2 Doctoral options in Psychology... in Kansas at least, Psychologists do not have prescriptive authority. They do psychometric testing and interpretation, consulting with Psychiatry, do evals for capacity (formerly known as competency), practice clinically in hospitals, clinics, prisons, etc. NP's mostly do med checks and some consulting work in my area (the conservative Midwest) where Psychiatrists rule. I am a Psych ARNP, but thankfully got out while the getting was good.

I believe here in New Mexico that Psychologists can prescribe. I think this happened about 5 years ago. The university I am teaching at does have a Psych NP/CNS Master's program. Some of the grads from that program are in private practice (NP's in New Mexico have independent practice-not required to have physician supervise/collaborate), go 45 miles to Texas & must have collaborating doc) some do the Psych evals in the ER, some are working at local mental health hospitals in a variety of roles. It may depend on the state boards of medicine or nursing or ?psychology that dictate how you are allowed to practice.

I'm a Psych NP and I prescribe. I could do therapy if I wanted to but the reason why a lot of PMHNP's don't do therapy is because you can make a lot more money by doing med checks. PMHNPs are in demand where I am, especially for children (which I see).

Also, there is a push against psychologists NOT having prescriptive authority so I am not sure how that will go in the future. It may be happening in some places but I'm not sure how it will go elsewhere. It's not happening here. I don't see it happening here anytime soon. I have my own opinions about that and it's a very political issue.

I think it's a great field. We are independent here. Hopefully the nursing organizations in other states will be able to push for more independence elsewhere as well because it really is an open field and a good place to be. The docs here have been very supportive for the most part. They have been around us for a long time.