Mental Health Rating by State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, we'll have jobs?

It's good to see my state getting a fat D. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Psyclops said:
So, we'll have jobs?

Unfortunately, need for services won't necessarily translate into availability...but there's hope I guess :)

Does anyone else get the feeling that psychology is operating in some vortex of the laws of supply and demand?

I noticed there were no A's, and I'm surprised that CA didn't do better. I've always heard CA has a great mental health care system.

Go FL with a big C-!! Woot.

Ca. has a dismal mental health system, and has since the 80's. I like it that the state I am moving to is the only one who did not participate in the survey.....

I'm shocked and appalled that MO got a C-. I would have thought a D at best. At least they pinpointed access to Medicaid services as an issue. So true, so true. Over 100,000 recipients cut last year alone.

Psisci, CO or NY? I'm guessing CO since it's right in the middle.

psisci said:
Ca. has a dismal mental health system, and has since the 80's. I like it that the state I am moving to is the only one who did not participate in the survey.....

shows what i know, huh? that's what i get for assuming (you know what they say about assuming) ;)

CA might have a great MH system relative to the rest of the world. But that just isn't saying much.

I would take a witch doctor in Haiti over what they call mental health here..... It is dismal. :eek:

Psyclops said:
CA might have a great MH system relative to the rest of the world. But that just isn't saying much.

Well, forget the website. What state is the consensus in terms of an example of premium mental health care?

Well I think you might have to go to a specific site such as: austenriggs.com

You have to go through the report's methodology to understand what the scores mean. Are they measuring the state of mental health in each state, or are they measuring specific components of a state's mental health system -- some of which may be relevant to most people, some of which may not be.

Given NAMI's exclusive focus on "serious" mental "illness," what they're rating and measuring is indicative only of that -- that getting government-sponsored services in most states for serious mental "illness" is still not where it would be in an ideal world. I suspect the public health system would fare only slightly better in such a report card.

John

Very good point Dr. G. I wish you would post here more often, we really need a boost..........