About the Ads

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Does anyone else get the feeling that psychology is operating in some vortex of the laws of supply and demand?

bigmood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Florida
Status
I noticed there were no A's, and I'm surprised that CA didn't do better. I've always heard CA has a great mental health care system.

Go FL with a big C-!! Woot.

OP

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Ca. has a dismal mental health system, and has since the 80's. I like it that the state I am moving to is the only one who did not participate in the survey.....

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
ocean adjacent
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I'm shocked and appalled that MO got a C-. I would have thought a D at best. At least they pinpointed access to Medicaid services as an issue. So true, so true. Over 100,000 recipients cut last year alone.

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Psisci, CO or NY? I'm guessing CO since it's right in the middle.

bigmood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Florida
Status
psisci said:
Ca. has a dismal mental health system, and has since the 80's. I like it that the state I am moving to is the only one who did not participate in the survey.....
shows what i know, huh? that's what i get for assuming (you know what they say about assuming) ;)

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
CA might have a great MH system relative to the rest of the world. But that just isn't saying much.

OP

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
I would take a witch doctor in Haiti over what they call mental health here..... It is dismal. :eek:

bigmood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Florida
Status
Psyclops said:
CA might have a great MH system relative to the rest of the world. But that just isn't saying much.
Well, forget the website. What state is the consensus in terms of an example of premium mental health care?

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Well I think you might have to go to a specific site such as: austenriggs.com

docjohng

Founder & CEO, PsychCentral.com
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
Greater Boston
psychcentral.com
Status
Psychologist
You have to go through the report's methodology to understand what the scores mean. Are they measuring the state of mental health in each state, or are they measuring specific components of a state's mental health system -- some of which may be relevant to most people, some of which may not be.

Given NAMI's exclusive focus on "serious" mental "illness," what they're rating and measuring is indicative only of that -- that getting government-sponsored services in most states for serious mental "illness" is still not where it would be in an ideal world. I suspect the public health system would fare only slightly better in such a report card.

John

OP

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Very good point Dr. G. I wish you would post here more often, we really need a boost..........

About the Ads