Mental Health & Wellness in PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWisthebest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I could really use your input on something. I am trying to write out an idea for a mental health or wellness plan for my physical therapy program. Our program is in a building that is removed from the university campus so we don't really have any resources in place to help or teach students how to deal with the emotional stressors of physical therapy school.

Research on depression and burnout in medical school has become a hot topic these days and I have noticed my own classmates struggling with depression and burn out since starting school, both of which are not addressed by my program. I don't think we need our "hands held" or anything, but if we could put something in place, such as education on resources in the area for mental health, a mentorship program, or something then maybe that can help students with the overwhelming struggles we face in physical therapy school.

So, my question for you is, does your program address your emotional health and wellness while in school? For example, does it address depression, anxiety, or even suicide with students? Or does your program educate you guys about resources in case you feel depressed or have anxiety you are struggling to control? Or one more...does anyone go to/went to a school with a mentorship program where current students meet with current practicing therapists to talk about the stressors of physical therapy school and just hang out? Any info would be really helpful, thank you!

TL;DR: Does your physical therapy program offer any mental health resources for physical therapy students or does it address mental health of students?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in PTA school so I can't speak as a PT student, but aside from some mandatory lines in our student handbook, we have not discussed depression, stress, anxiety, suicide, or mental health in general as it relates to going through our program. Our program building is also physically divorced from the campus proper which makes awareness of resources (like general mental health support groups and campus goings on) less readily available.
As far as suggestions go, though, I think you have a great and necessary idea in wanting to stir up some sort of awareness or support net for the students in your program. Have you considered approaching your program director (or any open minded professor) about the idea? Your class president? What about the main-campus student support center? If you float the idea, someone may see the value in it and take it forward. And if you do, let us know what comes of it because it's a real issue and your desire to do something about it could change the lives of your classmates who are struggling in the ways you've described. Good luck!!

My program doesn't have anything set in place, so if you want counseling then you'll have to just make an appointment at the counselor that is a couple buildings over. We do have one faculty member who deals with students that are struggling academically, but she always makes it clear that we can come to her for any reason whatsoever. She's approachable and you could come to her with mental health issues, like other faculty members/professors.

Here are some ideas that you might want to consider. I don't have any evidence that they're good ideas, but I hope you find them to be helpful! Also, please update us if you find your program to be really successful, so maybe others can implement your ideas into their PT school too.

1. I think it would be nice to set up a meeting maybe once or twice per semester to check up on students. Even if they don't have mental health issues or any other issues, just being able to speak to someone in the department would be helpful.

2. Getting resources/pamphlets for how to get counseling through your school would be helpful, and maybe having a counselor stop by the PT department for a couple of hours during midterms and finals would be less intimidating than having to make an appointment and walking to the counseling center.

3. During undergrad, the local humane society would bring dogs outside of one of the main libraries for some stress relief. If that's not possible, you could come up with fun activities during a lunch break during midterms/finals. You can get input from your classmates and have a vote on the most popular idea.

4. My last idea is to maybe have a breakfast or lunch with all the professors or faculty a couple times a semester. Something informal, where you can speak with the faculty and talk about things other than PT school, would possibly build stronger relationships. That way if someone is struggling with their mental health, they may be more likely to reach out for help if they feel closer to their professors.