Mental Illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks man, at least CARS is the least weighted section in ADCOMs eyes. You apparently have only studied depression so good luck on the behavioral section

Lol that was such a lame comeback. Nice try though. Had a good laugh.

Have a nice day

Members don't see this ad.

Lol that was such a lame comeback. Nice try though. Had a good laugh.

Have a nice day
thanks man, at least CARS is the least weighted section in ADCOMs eyes. You apparently have only studied depression so good luck on the behavioral section

I would appreciate it if everyone wouldn't bicker.....I just needed advice. And I appreciate it from everyone. Does anyone have study advice from me previous post?

Reactions: 1 user
I would appreciate it if everyone wouldn't bicker.....I just needed advice. And I appreciate it from everyone. Does anyone have study advice from me previous post?

Do you memorize or do you learn? There is a difference between passive learning and active learning. I do active learning and it provides a lot more benefits than rote memorization, as rote memorization without any sort of understanding will hinder your performance in the long run.

I don't use any flash cards, as personally I find them ineffective. Don't get me wrong, they are ineffective for me. A lot of students do very well with them, and utilize online apps that can help tons.

Most of the things that I do that help is that I read the book, read the chapter and then summarize everything in my own words. This will help me solidify the material and initiate long-term recall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course this isn't the whole answer but I do think it is part of the process. In addition to seeking the professional help that you require, keep in mind that you can't let your mindset preclude happiness. Oftentimes we find comfort in depression/anxiety, ironically. However, it's important to realize that everyone has the capacity to experience true joy, sometimes you just have to remove personal barriers from allowing you to do so. Hopefully that makes sense, just thought I'd throw out something that I've noticed in my own life at least.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you memorize or do you learn? There is a difference between passive learning and active learning. I do active learning and it provides a lot more benefits than rote memorization, as rote memorization without any sort of understanding will hinder your performance in the long run.

I don't use any flash cards, as personally I find them ineffective. Don't get me wrong, they are ineffective for me. A lot of students do very well with them, and utilize online apps that can help tons.

Most of the things that I do that help is that I read the book, read the chapter and then summarize everything in my own words. This will help me solidify the material and initiate long-term recall.
I do brute memorization always, and I hardly retain anything over the years. Cram it in, spit it back out on the test, dump, repeat. I just have never been taught nor understood how people retain info so well, it makes them seem like geniuses. Flashcards are good for going over petty memorization for me and a good overview of things. But, if you could explain, what IS "active learning?" I do not really know....how to "learn" like you say.

Of course this isn't the whole answer but I do think it is part of the process. In addition to seeking the professional help that you require, keep in mind that you can't let your mindset preclude happiness. Oftentimes we find comfort in depression/anxiety, ironically. However, it's important to realize that everyone has the capacity to experience true joy, sometimes you just have to remove personal barriers from allowing you to do so. Hopefully that makes sense, just thought I'd throw out something that I've noticed in my own life at least.
I do understand the comfort of depression. When I try to say affirmations to myself, I feel legitimately disgusted with it and I end up hating doing it or not doing it all together. I do not think I have the capacity to experience joy honestly. Over these past few nights and some bad arguments with my mom, and being triggered once by accident, I think I have decided to pursuing this idea of happiness. Who says I need it? I am not entitled to it, and I am obviously not gonna obtain it, so I have decided that it will be easier if I stop trying to be happy and thus stop fighting the sadness. This is just how I am meant to be. No point in fighting it. I give up.

I do brute memorization always, and I hardly retain anything over the years. Cram it in, spit it back out on the test, dump, repeat. I just have never been taught nor understood how people retain info so well, it makes them seem like geniuses. Flashcards are good for going over petty memorization for me and a good overview of things. But, if you could explain, what IS "active learning?" I do not really know....how to "learn" like you say.

What I mean by active learning is to actually understand and comprehend the material, not spit it out just for a test. Passive learning is not understanding anything, and just memorizing it and forgetting it. In other words, you're not learning. Active learning by contrast, is when you understand, not memorize the material. Everything connects together and flows together. For example, say I was to teach you Organic Chemistry. You could memorize everything about functional groups, but could you comprehend what functional groups actually do and apply it to the organic synthesis? Probably not. That's why Organic Chemistry is one of the most difficult courses for pre-medical students, because it's a course that requires actually knowing the material rather than memorizing. It's like learning a different language. Would someone who memorizes but not understands Italian vocabulary and sentence structure be able to construct a sentence? No! It takes practice.

What I mean by active learning is to actually understand and comprehend the material, not spit it out just for a test. Passive learning is not understanding anything, and just memorizing it and forgetting it. In other words, you're not learning. Active learning by contrast, is when you understand, not memorize the material. Everything connects together and flows together. For example, say I was to teach you Organic Chemistry. You could memorize everything about functional groups, but could you comprehend what functional groups actually do and apply it to the organic synthesis? Probably not. That's why Organic Chemistry is one of the most difficult courses for pre-medical students, because it's a course that requires actually knowing the material rather than memorizing. It's like learning a different language. Would someone who memorizes but not understands Italian vocabulary and sentence structure be able to construct a sentence? No! It takes practice.
Ohh, I was good at organic actually! It made me understand orbitals and hybridization for once. I enjoyed it, and I was good at synthesis. I have done the orgo book already, I am currently on Gen Chem, and Gen Chem has been my least favorite subject in all of undergrad so far. So how do I practice active learning for this? It is hard when there are so many minute details to learn that are keys to solving problems.

The point is, I met someone really special to me, and she changed everything. I really love this person. ... I do not think I am ever going to be able to love anyone else, because there is never going to be anyone else as awesome as her.

Let me drop some Truth on ya...

There are 7.422 billion people in the world. Half of them are women. It's arrogant and immature to believe that there isn't one woman out of 3.711 BILLION who will measure up to your dream girl.

Once you get into the world, your perspectives will change. You will change and so will she. The idea that "...there is never going to be anyone else as awesome as her." is just silly and short-sighted. Right now, you have tunnel-vision because your world is tiny. Expand your world and you'll find that there are plenty of awesome women out there.

Hi. I am a Junior, about to take the MCAT and apply to medical school this summer. I have a really personal thing I wanted to get opinions on from other people. I have struggled with low self-esteem for a long time, since high school or maybe even middle school. In the past year and a half or so, something happened that is completely my own fault. I have no one to blame but myself for this and my inability to change myself. The point is, I met someone really special to me, and she changed everything. I really love this person. I can never be with her, and she is happy with someone else. I am happy for her, but for well over a year now my heart gets broken every single day, whether it is seeing them together or hearing about them or her just not really paying attention to me even as a friend. She is an amazing person and I constantly compare myself to her and always come up lacking. I do not think I am ever going to be able to love anyone else, because there is never going to be anyone else as awesome as her. It has kind of ruined my hopes for being content, in that I won't have a happy family in my future, no experience with real love. I want to be a doctor, but without that aspect of my life, it seems empty, lonely, and sad. I have developed depression over the past year and a half ( I think I had a period of depression in high school too), and I have recurring passive (as in I have no intent to commit) suicidal thoughts over this. I wish I wasn't alive every day. I am finally trying to see a counselor, but it seems like it may just be up to me to "get over it." I cannot seem to get closure, because I just love her so badly. What I want to know is, what is it like being a med student (saying I get accepted) when I have a mental illness? Will this affect me getting in, should I mention it to admissions people in an interview? Can I succeed in medical school? Thank you for any help and understanding. I know it can be a sensitive topic. Sorry for the long post. Thank you all.

Based on this it does not seem like you have depression or any sort of mental illness, just poor coping skills. You are going to have feelings of despair and extreme anxiety in medical school. There is no question about that so you need to find a way to let things like this not bother you as much. Relationships are a very toxic thing in general and your post makes that quite clear. It is best that you just forget about this girl as it is not worth jeopardizing your career over.

Let me drop some Truth on ya...

There are 7.422 billion people in the world. Half of them are women. It's arrogant and immature to believe that there isn't one woman out of 3.711 BILLION who will measure up to your dream girl.

Once you get into the world, your perspectives will change. You will change and so will she. The idea that "...there is never going to be anyone else as awesome as her." is just silly and short-sighted. Right now, you have tunnel-vision because your world is tiny. Expand your world and you'll find that there are plenty of awesome women out there.
I can't really believe that. You have not met this person, it is incredible how amazing she is.

Based on this it does not seem like you have depression or any sort of mental illness, just poor coping skills. You are going to have feelings of despair and extreme anxiety in medical school. There is no question about that so you need to find a way to let things like this not bother you as much. Relationships are a very toxic thing in general and your post makes that quite clear. It is best that you just forget about this girl as it is not worth jeopardizing your career over.

Too bad I cannot ever forget her, and I definitely do have a mental illness. Are my recurrent thoughts of suicide, lack of energy and focus, and chronic low self esteem and self hatred not do it justice?

Stop hijacking the thread and don't bother posting unless you have something helpful to say, unless you want a Banhammer smack.

OP, the MCAT is a career-deciding, high stakes exam.

DO NOT take it unless you are at your best, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users