Mental problems as a result of digestive problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not a regular user of this forum (I'm a dentist), but I need your help. I also posted this on the psychiatry forum.

I need to find info (preferably online) on mental problems as a result of digestive problems. I've been searching using google, but so far no luck. Can some of you point out some website for me to read?

Thanks, ahead,

Meggs

Members don't see this ad.

There's tons of stuff on this topic. Here's a sample of articles from a quick search of Pub Med.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;62 Suppl 8:28-36; discussion 37.

Depression, anxiety, and the gastrointestinal system.

Mayer EA, Craske M, Naliboff BD.

Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, USA. [email protected]

Functional disorders of the digestive system, such as irritable bowel syndrome, are often associated with affective disorders, such as depression, anxiety, panic, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Some of these associations are observed not only in clinical populations, but also in population-based samples, suggesting a relationship with pathophysiologic mechanisms underlying both gastrointestinal (GI) dysfunction and certain affective disorders. Sustained and acute life-threatening stressors play an important role in the onset and modulation of GI symptoms as well as in the development of affective disorders and PTSD. A neurobiological model is proposed that attempts to explain the development of visceral hypersensitivity, the neuroendocrine and autonomic dysfunction characteristic of functional GI disorders, as well as the overlap with affective disorders.

---------------------------------------------------------

Surg Endosc. 2002 Feb;16(2):360-1. Epub 2001 Nov 16.

Anxiety disorder after laparoscopic refundoplication as a cause of dysphagia.

Kamolz T, Bammer T, Pointner R.

Department of General Surgery, Public Hospital of Zell am See, A-5700 Zell am See, Austria. [email protected]

Side effects of laparoscopic antireflux surgery doubtless have a negative effect on patients' satisfaction with surgical outcome and quality of life. Until now, side effects of laparoscopic antireflux surgery such as dysphagia have not been reported as associated with the origin of psychiatric disorders. We report the case of a 71-year-old man who underwent laparoscopic refundoplication because of a "slipping" Nissen 2 years after primary intervention. After operation, the patient suffered from severe dysphagia and required pneumatic dilation. In this patient, severe dysphagia has caused panic disorder. Complete relief of dysphagia was achieved by single dilation. In contrast, panic symptoms in relation to daily ingestion continued for at least 6 weeks after surgery. A mild level of anxiety without panic symptoms existed for the first 3 months after reoperation.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2002 Apr-Jun;107(2):307-10.

Functional digestive disorders and the relationship with psychiatric diseases

[Article in Romanian]

Drug VL, Costea F, Ciochina AD, Bradatan O, Tarasi I, Mitrica D, Stanciu C.

Facultatea de Medicina Clinica II Medicala Gastroenterologie, Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Gr.T. Popa Iasi.

Functional gastrointestinal disorders are frequent causes for medical consultations. Features related to disease, patient or the environment could influence the medical referral. The aim of the study was to estimate the importance of psychiatric disorders in patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders. MATERIAL AND METHOD: The study was designed to have two phases. Phase I consisted in studying the prevalence of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and psychiatric past history in a random sample of 338 from an urban community of 18000 people. Phase II consisted in studying the presence of psychiatric history in patients referred for IBS symptoms. RESULTS: The prevalence of IBS symptoms in the general population was: 14.4% (8.4% in males and 17.7% in females). Psychiatric positive history was present in 6.2% of the general population and in 6.1% of IBS subjects (p > 0.05). Psychiatric disorders were more common in the IBS subjects who were seeking medical assistance (18%) than in subjects with same symptoms from the general population (6.2%) (p < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Psychiatric disorders may influence the medial referral for patients with IBS.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Gut. 1999 Sep;45 Suppl 2:II25-30.

Psychosocial aspects of the functional gastrointestinal disorders.

Drossman DA, Creed FH, Olden KW, Svedlund J, Toner BB, Whitehead WE.

Division of Digestive Diseases, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599-7080, USA. [email protected]

The functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID) are the most frequent conditions seen in gastroenterology practice and comprise a major portion of primary care. Psychosocial factors are important in these disorders with regard to: (1) their effects on gut physiology; (2) their modulation of the symptom experience; (3) their influence on illness behavior; (4) their impact on outcome; and (5) the choice of the therapeutic approach. This paper provides a review and consensus of the existing literature by gastroenterologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, physiologists, and health services investigators. Evidence is provided to support the biopsychosocial model as a basis for understanding and treating these disorders, and epidemiological and clinical information on the relations of psychosocial factors to gut physiology, symptom presentation, health behavior, and outcome is offered. Features of motility, personality, abuse history, health concerns, and treatment-seeking differ between patients with FGID and healthy controls, but they are not specific to FGID. They occur in other patients with chronic medical conditions and/or psychiatric disorders. Review of treatment trials indicates clear support for psychotherapeutic treatments, especially in the long term, as well as some evidence for the benefit of antidepressants in FGID, even in the absence of improvements in mood.

Thanks PublicHealth! Great help. ;)