Mental tradeoffs of a premed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys feel like there're mental tradeoffs made in order to achieve the goals of a high GPA and MCAT score?

When I was not studying by "the system," I found I could attack a wide variety of mental challenges and offer unique insight into various problems which is what helped endear me to my research positions.

But now as my GPA has been trashed, I have to study by that system which is just brute memorization until I start mumbling various equations in my sleep. The tradeoff I feel though is I have a hard time at bringing up unique ideas and insight. I am attacking each question systematically to get the "RIGHT" answer.

Anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitly found that to be the case when I was studying for the MCATs. I feel like my IQ dropped like 10 points... but it came back (trust me, I really, really need all the points I can get ;)).

On the other hand, I never found brute memorization necessary to do well in classes. It probably depends on where you study. Also, I wasn't a pre-med as an undergrad, which may have helped.

Totally with you on the research thing, though -- I mean, it just seems nuts to not devote your energies to research in order to score 10 points higher on a test, when you're never going to need the knowledge again and publications are forever. :mad:

Anka

Yeah, that's why my GPA is a little ugly, too. F*** playing games, I'd rather spend my time in school LEARNING. I'm hoping that between my MCAT scores, my heavy courseload, and whatnot, I'll be able to convince the administrators to see me as a qualified candidate despite the GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Anka
Totally with you on the research thing, though -- I mean, it just seems nuts to not devote your energies to research in order to score 10 points higher on a test, when you're never going to need the knowledge again and publications are forever. :mad:

Anka

i don't think you really get what TTSD is talking about. TTSD i'm pretty sure is talking about the fact that one must study in a very specific way in order to "get A's". i like him feel that this method of studying completely surpresses any creativity or unique insight into the material one might have. you are just forced to think a certain way, study certain specific material, and study it exactly the way they tell you to study it. sure, you can get your A's that way but i think what separates us from dogs or gerbils is the fact that we are capable of doing alot more than that. there can be no intellectual independence in those traditional pre-med classes if you want to "succeed" (ie. get a high GPA). of course i just refused to become a premed robot like so many others have, my gpa has actually suffered quite horrendously as a result, but i guarantee you i will be getting into an MD program for 2004. if i don't something is wrong with the system.

You got it Tester.. that's exactly what I was talking about. I remember those people who were at the top of my premed classes, most of them were not too bright. You couldn't really hold a decent coversation with them as they would only look at the superficial surfaces of the argument, provided the topic was something pertaining to science courses.

Such as when I study for my classes, I can sometimes spend hours on one particular mechanism trying to understand the all-important question as to why as opposed to my friends who just crammed and regurgitated. Understanding of course is extraordinarily important if you want to go far beyond just the simple requirements, but it makes me sad at how I am going to be judged and perceived by the boards.

Agreed. Actually, I sort of think of it as a strategy for doing well too. To do well in classes, I think most people (me) need to really focus on the material. When you're studying for that big o. chem exam, likely you block a lot out in order to focus your brainpower (or lack thereof in my case) on the task at hand. I use alternate means of exposing myself creatively to course material, i.e. office hours. I figure profs don't want a ton of questions from every student in the class that the TAs or text can answer just as well, so in order to you know, get to know my profs, in case I want a rec , and in order to better enjoy my classes, I got to office hours and try to push myself to ask good questions.
But I think TTSD is right, it is a mistake to have the ol' blinders on completely, true understanding comes from application and original thought.

Also, anyone feel like their social skills went in the gutter once they focused on grades ?

Crap... I just wrote this whole long post, and it got lost.

Anyways, I was just writing to agree that social stuff and studying for "A"s are mutually exclusive. When you're in that mindset for A's, you really can't do much else. I spent way too much time being social this week, and now it looks like I'm going to end up studying Cell Bio all weekend. :-( I really try to take at least one class every semester that requires real thinking rather than tons of memorization of pathways and whatnot. Last semester I wasn't able to, and I nearly went crazy, as well as dropping my GPA a notch or two. This semester promises to be better, but I would advise other premeds not to get too caught up in the crap, the competitiveness, and the negativity that goes along with high-premed-density classes. Go outside, experience some natural lighting, laugh, and read something that actually interests you.

I agree with most of what you say TTSD. Thank God i found out early in the game. My English professor gave me a C (although i knew that my essay was really good) because it wasn't what she was looking for. So since my first weeks in college in some courses i give what the professors look for. I have found a great way of balancing that though by taking plenty of Philosophy etc courses, which have no "Right-Wrong" answers or specific things that the professor looks for, and put all of my true thoughts on paper and still get As.