Mention another acceptance in LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

straps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been following these threads for a while, but I cannot seem to find an answer to my most recent question. I am currently accepted to a DO school and am on the waitlist at 2 MD schools. I have sent multiple updates to the 2 MD schools and a few LOIs to my top choice. As I understand it, MD schools can see acceptance from other MD schools, but not DO schools. Do you think it is worth including my DO acceptance in an update to my top MD school? Do you think it would be looked upon favorably or negatively? I guess I could see it going both ways.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't see that going positively. Can only be neutral or negative at this point. Having an acceptance from an LCME accredited school can show a school that you are on the waitlist for that you are a strong enough applicant for US MD but having a DO acceptance will likely be meaningless. They know that the bar for acceptance is lower there.

I can't see that going positively. Can only be neutral or negative at this point. Having an acceptance from an LCME accredited school can show a school that you are on the waitlist for that you are a strong enough applicant for US MD but having a DO acceptance will likely be meaningless. They know that the bar for acceptance is lower there.

DO schools generally have lower stats but the bar for acceptance is not lower when considering other qualities/characteristic/activities. If you were interviewed then they probably think you are a strong enough applicant for their school or they wouldn't have interviewed you in the first place.

I would only mention another acceptance (MD or DO) if it factors into your decision some how. For example, if the school you are currently accepted at starts before the other school you might want to mention that while the school you are on the waitlist for is your first choice you will currently be starting at another University on this date and it would be awesome if you got off the waitlist before then.

Members don't see this ad :)
This would not be well received. Continued contact when you appear to be holding nowhere makes you look desperate. MD schools can poach you even after you have begun class at a non AAMC medical school.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with being somewhat desperate. I thought schools liked to take people off the waitlist they are positive will attended. If you're not holding another acceptance seems like that'd be a pretty good guarantee for them.

Yes, you can go MD even after you've started classes at a DO school, but wouldn't you be on the hook for fall tuition at both schools? Might be kinda hard to pull off unless you've got some serious cash saved up somewhere.